PDA

View Full Version : Brake Bleeders

Ramblingman
14-11-07, 01:58 PM
Anyone care to recommend one as there seems to be everything available from a length of tube to some oil extractors that can also draw brake fluid. I don’t have any friends :( so a 1 man system would be best and I don’t have an air compressor so no air fed systems please.
Over to you ………

English Impala
14-11-07, 02:03 PM
The air-fed ones work via a de-pressurised spare tyre (down to about 15psi) & are brilliant. BUT, check that the adaptors supplied will fit your master cylinder as none of the ones in my kit will fit my Chevy cylinder.......

prefect20
14-11-07, 02:53 PM
The air-fed ones work via a de-pressurised spare tyre (down to about 15psi) & are brilliant. BUT, check that the adaptors supplied will fit your master cylinder as none of the ones in my kit will fit my Chevy cylinder.......

I've one of the air fed ones (using Low Tyre pressure) Used it on MK2 consul. The one I have came with a selection of Spare lids. I used a NEW lid that I had to use on the Consul ( Its only a couple of washers, and a hole if I remember correctly.
Easy for 1 man. Just watch your New fluid level if flushing the system.

WB54
14-11-07, 03:09 PM
Gunsons EZ Bleed, £15 or so from Halfords

langysrodshop
14-11-07, 08:07 PM
I've used the old method of a bit of clear tube and a milk bottle for years, Still the most realible if you ask me !!!

jsf55
14-11-07, 09:23 PM
either EZ bleed or bottle and tube if i got someone to give me a hand !

ger
14-11-07, 11:15 PM
I tried 'em all when I was having a problem with the Y brakes, the one that uses the tyre for pressure.....All I got was sprayed brake fluid everywhere...Mityvac suction thingie, adaptors were crap, complained and they sent me the new improved adaptors...still mince.

Ended up using the wee plastic tube with oneway valve and a coffee jar, worked fine.

Cheers
Gerry

Ramblingman
15-11-07, 02:57 PM
Thanks all - I was going to ask about the Mityvac as I had heard of problems with the adaptors - supposed to be able to cure with ptfe tape wound against the direction of the thread I seem to have read....I think.
And I bet Steve you are still using a glass milk bottle none of this new fangled plastic stuff :)

Happydaze
15-11-07, 03:31 PM
If you don't fancy an Easibleed and require one man operation you can get replacement nipples with spring loaded seats. Dunno what they're called (Product name) but they were available in the UK. They are available in the US too. Could try checking out eci brakes or somewhere like that.
Chris

Russell speed bleeders seem to fit the bill. $10 a pair from Summit.

langysrodshop
15-11-07, 08:45 PM
Yes Ceri, Nothing to go wrong then :-) Only thing is i have to get my apprentice round to help, But he's very willing LOL

Thanks all - I was going to ask about the Mityvac as I had heard of problems with the adaptors - supposed to be able to cure with ptfe tape wound against the direction of the thread I seem to have read....I think.
And I bet Steve you are still using a glass milk bottle none of this new fangled plastic stuff :)

rem
15-11-07, 09:11 PM
I've used a Mityvac for a few years - got it originally because some bike brakes are a real b'stard to get the air out of. Never had any problems with it, although I don't know what the threaded adaptors are that are mentioned - mine just has a selection of PVC hoses and tapered adaptors.

Can also use it for vacuum testing of distributors, switches, and the like, and have always found it fairly handy.