PDA

View Full Version : Achieving Hot Rod Heaven??

Crossroads Speed Shop
19-11-07, 09:22 PM
I was feeling philosophical the other day and wondering about the different 'high's and ultimate goals of this hobby of ours. I think I've distilled it down to a combination of three things. Different rodders will place them in different priorities, be interesting to see which yours are, might make for an interesting discussion. They are as follows.

Achievement: This can be the feeling of achievement of having built your own rod from scratch, or even of having put an existing 'average' rod and turning it into something special, or even having worked hard to actually afford to own a hot rod at all. How important is this feeling of achievement to you?

Posession: Most people reading this forum want to own their ultimate rod, or even if they already own a keeper, hanker after another one to park next to it. Not many of us in the UK get to own a collection of cool hot rods but there are the lucky few, so this quality is more often seen in the US were it is more common for rodders to own a cool corral of cars. How many would you own if you could? This also applies to cool hot rod hardware as some people love collecting rare parts. How important is possesion?

Experience: A very personal one this one as it can't always be shared or seen by others apart from photos. I'm talking about maybe driving a '32 roadster down the Pacific highway, meeting high profile 'names' at US events, even having spent a week crewing on the salt at Bonneville. We all have these memories of 'great rodding moments' even if its being given a special award by fellow club members. It's still a special part of rodding when something like this happens.

Or I could be talking complete Bow Locks, your comments please.

langysrodshop
19-11-07, 09:28 PM
Bow locks it is then LOL

kapri
19-11-07, 09:47 PM
Achievement
1)finishing my ultimate project

2) driving the **** off of it while refining it to all it can be.

3) Realising that I want to do it again but something different. I HATE doing the same style or using the same parts over and over again. If I know I CAN do it then it offers no challenge. Yup, guess I like making hard work for myself!

Possession ? Yup, I'd love to keep them all but reality means they MUST be sold to finance the next build. I spend a lot of time hunting down what I consider to be the correct parts for my project. I enjoy looking at them attached to a finished vehicle but when it's time to move on then that's it.

Experience ? All the good times I've had on committees, working with fellow gearheads and once again trying to do things better and / or differently .Receiving some special awards from different clubs and organisations as an unexpected thank you , all gratefully ( but embarassingly) received .
Every good guy and friend I've met through this great hobby, too many to list and all valued.

weemark
19-11-07, 10:53 PM
Achievement - its more a personal thing for me, proving to yourself you can do whatever it is your trying to achieve and to do it to the best of your ability

possesion - i am more than happy with what i have and in all honesty there is nothing i would swap for what i have already, that is for the cars. there are certainly some more parts i want to collect for both cars, some of the parts will be kind of special too but for me i want the parts so i can use on the car, not for them to sit on a shelf. its always nice to have parts that can be swapped out too - on the coupe ofr instance i swapped wheels/tyres and aircleaners and it looks like another car - its completely changed the style of it.

for me the cars i have are keepers - i dont change things quickly, i had my beetle for 20 or so years and i dont have any plans to get rid of the roadster or the coupe, just need to find more space so i can keep adding to the collection :D

experience - i am more than happy with the things ive learnt, the people ive spoken to and helped out now and again and for all the help ive been given by a few very good friends. for me hopefully next year will be the biggy - think im going to treat myself to taking the coupe or the roadster over to the staes for 3/4 weeks and do LA roadster show/fathers day and all the other events around that time of the year and hopefully get out to bonneville with the car and drive it on the sacred salt flats. i will only be able to do it once but am already looking froward to it.

Jonny69
20-11-07, 12:45 AM
Yeah I'd love a proper hotrod like a 29 or a 32 but the sad reality is for a young hotrodder it's going to be a long wait or real life is going to have to take a fair number of compromises and I'll have to find somewhere with cheaper rent. Having said that I've managed to get through a few cars and meddled with them to satisfaction and when the time comes I'll do the same on a rod and build what I want. I run my Pop every day which is an achievement in itself, regularly defying the laws of sod etc.

I'd probably have 2, then when one breaks down I don't have to worry about getting it fixed for work tomorrow and I can work on one while the other is driving. That's nearly what's going on at the moment except one isn't finished. I prefer the satisfaction of knowing I did it myself rather than the actual owning. Status symbols don't really mean a damn to me.

Learned loads from lots of good people, loads of 'names' in hotrodding have been really helpful with advice and encouragement, top blokes the lot of ya. It's really great to be able to turn up at an event by myself and be able to find people there I know and have a lot of fun.

Blackpopracing
20-11-07, 01:27 AM
Achievement for me, not fussed about the other two.

296moon
20-11-07, 03:12 AM
the first bit of what wee mark said, means so much, takes a long time to find out what/why its for though personanly speaking that is,,

296moon
20-11-07, 03:14 AM
I was feeling philosophical the other day and wondering about the different 'high's and ultimate goals of this hobby of ours. I think I've distilled it down to a combination of three things. Different rodders will place them in different priorities, be interesting to see which yours are, might make for an interesting discussion. They are as follows.

Achievement: This can be the feeling of achievement of having built your own rod from scratch, or even of having put an existing 'average' rod and turning it into something special, or even having worked hard to actually afford to own a hot rod at all. How important is this feeling of achievement to you?

Posession: Most people reading this forum want to own their ultimate rod, or even if they already own a keeper, hanker after another one to park next to it. Not many of us in the UK get to own a collection of cool hot rods but there are the lucky few, so this quality is more often seen in the US were it is more common for rodders to own a cool corral of cars. How many would you own if you could? This also applies to cool hot rod hardware as some people love collecting rare parts. How important is possesion?

Experience: A very personal one this one as it can't always be shared or seen by others apart from photos. I'm talking about maybe driving a '32 roadster down the Pacific highway, meeting high profile 'names' at US events, even having spent a week crewing on the salt at Bonneville. We all have these memories of 'great rodding moments' even if its being given a special award by fellow club members. It's still a special part of rodding when something like this happens.

Or I could be talking complete Bow Locks, your comments please.
wish I could speak like what you do.

Steve Dennish
20-11-07, 04:49 AM
Achievement, as an Englishman starting a Hot Rod shop in California and being acknowledged by people I respect in the Industry ie Brizio, Chapouris ,Jake,Lobeck etc as having cool products & building cool Hot Rods is Overwhelming .(14 years coming up too!!)

Possession , has to be my 32 Roadster with the Daimler power & as The Lord Purple said we can get a bit of a corral here (Carol's 32 Fordoor, my latest 32 Truck, The Hummer Anglia & my Consul Capri) .

Experience, there have been a whole bunch in the 20 yrs I've been in California but when I got the phone call (Then Visit)from John O'Connell (who built The Hummer ) was an overwhelming experience (like finding an unknown relative), he has presented me with all the history ,Photos,Record Certificates,Trophies ,etc, it's not the material stuff but the Friendship & Trust he has bestowed upon me as a friend that is more relevant as an experience.He is now getting the recognition he deserves for building such a great car.

Sounds like boasting but I feel I'm the same person , I am still enthusiastic about Hot Rods, get my hands dirty , cut my hands & have a load of FUN. Car rich , money poor but happy none the less.

A32Flathead
20-11-07, 04:52 AM
I think the fact they chose Limeworks to build the Wally Parks 32 Roadster speaks volumes of Steve's achievements.

And a killer car it is too!!

Steve Dennish
20-11-07, 04:53 AM
Ta Dave

A32Flathead
20-11-07, 05:11 AM
Ta Dave

Not wrong tho Steve....Just think of all the other shops in LA...Hell, So-Cal is spitting distance from the museum...But no, they chose you!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v414/prophoto/CHRR%2007/CHRR07288.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v414/prophoto/CHRR%2007/CHRR07294.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v414/prophoto/CHRR%2007/CHRR07295.jpg

kapri
20-11-07, 09:25 AM
Agree but heading away from the original question here chaps ;-)

Kev

rodbuilder
20-11-07, 09:55 AM
Acheivement: Is for me No1. Collecting all the bits from many sources, I can see what women get from retail therapy. Fabricating a whole car from nothing but a pile of mismatched bits is a challenenge that I cannot give up. I have 3 mental marks of progress 1, getting the engine running 2, final paint 3, MOT ( but that does not mean it is finished). I am guilty of collecting for the next one while still building the present one. I never seem to take the easy formula build route and push myself to learn more.
Finally the driving, I use mine all the time whatever the weather it is the sense of the acheivement and challenge of using something I built all on my own.

Possession: I cannot be bothered with cleaning and polishing, but I just cannot let go of a car that I have put so much of me into. This means I have had to make compromises on the budget for the project am building but I only buy in parts and not the skills of others. I am lucky in that Sue does not expect me sell them either but I am running out of room.

Experience: Driving a rod every day is the best experience, to be pointed at flashed and waved at on the way to work can only improve ones day.
Having good friends because of owning a rod.
Finally because of my jacked up 100e at 19 I met Sue and 30 years later we are still together RESULT!

Koops
20-11-07, 11:45 AM
The "Experience" of "Achievement" derived from the successful completion and thus "Possession" of a rod that 'drives' a smile on my face.

One rod, long road (Norway & Sweden have some good 'uns) and many miles of brisk drivin'. A swift pass down at Shakey wouldn't hurt either. No pose, just gows!

That Wally Parks roadster would suit perfectly! I do hope it gets driven. Hard!

1st dibs
20-11-07, 11:52 AM
For me it is achievement 1st . i still get a buzz when i look through
the build up albums of the cars i have done ,and think i did that.
i consider my self to be very lucky because i am able to do every
thing my self ,the only thing i have to pay someone to do is the trimming
sure you can spot the odd bit of crap in the paint or this bit or that bit
aint just so but Hey i did that and saved a heap of money,
ACHIEVEMENT EVERY TIME
Then possession
The other great thing for me is you get to do a really varied past time and when
your done you get to do the driving bit and then a few years on
and you sell it get yer money back and start again COOOOL

http://www.nsra.org.uk/newforum/showthread.php?t=372

langysrodshop
20-11-07, 12:12 PM
Achievment is probably 1st for me, The buzz of seeing a project through to the first drive is brilliant.

Possesion is a problem for me as i don't like selling them at all, Its like getting rid of the kids to me, They are all my babies !!!

Experience is something i still get a buzz from, I've now owned my F100 for 10 years and my T for 7 years and i still get a buzz and a grin appears everytime i get in either of them, I'm looking forward to the 1st drive of my 32 as an expectant father waits for a baby to pop out.

I'm designing my next 2 projects as i build my 32 as i have stuck to my original idea and not deviated from the original plan, I find it easy to see the finished car in my mind going down the road, I know not everyone can see the finished article but if you can it will save you lots of grief when your building

Ddooce
20-11-07, 05:56 PM
It's all the third one now - I'm past the other two.
Bye the bye Keith did you know the Reunion is returning to Bowling Green this year?

Crossroads Speed Shop
20-11-07, 06:17 PM
(A quick aside from the topic to answer Ddooce), I had an email from Rip that said the Reunion was moving back to BG, but the NHRA website says otherwise!???

Someone start another thread about the venue for next years Hot Rod Reunion.

Adam
20-11-07, 06:28 PM
Achievement is pretty much reaching all goals you set yourself whether you realise it or not. Firing up a newly built engine or even installing a new intake, carb, dizzy for the first time. Taking your Rod for it's first drive round the block sitting on an orange box, open headers and no glass. Polishing your first paint job & not finding any runs. Buying that must have part after countless overtime shifts. The finished vehicle is a culmination of all of these achievements no one more satisfying than the others as they all culminated in getting the car finished. That and the '57 running the times I want it to would be nice!

Possession, thats a hard one as I pretty much have the cars I want right now. A '57 Chevy Custom, a '57 Chevy race car and in the near future a '55 Chevy thats waiting to be a pro tourer. I wouldn't dream of selling any of them at the moment so the ones I still want will have to wait indefinately. Although there is a hankering for a channelled model A sedan with a 425 nailhead and a blown 33 willys.

Again, I don't see the ultimate experience as any single point to be held above all others. A lot of "I've met so & so" is being in the right place at the right time and just a tiny part of everything we do. It's nice to shake hands with people you have read about and consider your peers / heroes, getting them to sign a T shirt or magazine but being able to share that experience with good friends that are always there for you, those that help you realise the achievements and possessions mentioned above is more important to me than any one moment.

chaley
20-11-07, 07:02 PM
For me its the Experience of just starting up the rod the driving it anywhere even to go shopping is what it is all about, and meeting lots of cool people on the way, then it's the Acheivment of getting the thing on the road (yeah I know it's back on blocks at the moment), and then it is Possession, just knowing that I have a cool car in the garage is sometimes enough to raise a smile on even the wrost day a work.
Chaley.

Brizey
20-11-07, 08:06 PM
Possession: has to be first. It`s the "i see, i like, i want" situation. Without wanting something first, you don`t gain the experiance or achievment of, in our cases, building or working on your own car!.
I have currently owned, for 27 years, the only car i have ever wanted, a `32 roadster. Theres also an `A` in the workshop, the two are enough for me.
I have a large collection of rodding memorabilia, but it all holds personal meaning for me.

Achievment: The personal satisfaction of creating a car of my own and then driving it holds a great sense of achievment and personal satisfaction, as does helping someone else with their project.

Experiance: Can only come from `doing, and being there`!. I feel i`ve experianced most things i want too, from building cars to meeting some great people in this hobby.
Some of those people are peers, both here and in the US, that i`ve looked up to and admired for their workmanship on rods and their personal history within the hobby.
Apart from the first drives in my own freshly finished rods, one of my greatest experiances was when, after helping a friend in the US (Steve Ricketts) put his `32 roadster back together, he gave me the keys so i could take it to the LA Roadster show. This is something i`ve always wanted to do and could only be topped by taking my own roadster there...

kapri
20-11-07, 09:10 PM
Brizey, I REALLY wish I could be like you...one car that I am totally in love with.I'm trying my best to figure out what that one car is that will satisfy all my needs. getting a bit knackered to keep building and need something that looks good, rides nice and is COMFORTABLE .I know what I think will do that but will it ?? Another thread I think ?

You are 100% correct, you've got to really want what you are trying to build otherwise it cause it never to get finished. That's why a second project always tends to get the attention ,because it what you want NOW, the old one is what you wanted THEN. I still want them all , my budget says otherwise.

Mel
20-11-07, 09:44 PM
For me the experience and possesion of hotrod heaven are about equal. I love the fact that my car is there to be used whenever i feel like driving it and if i don't then it's there to be tinkered with or just to be looked at and admired.
I can't evoke memories of driving my roadster down pacific highway1..........yet! (this is another on the 'things to list'), but driving back home one day from a weekend event in glorious sunshine was almost as good. I could have driven all the way to Lands End that day, and thats the real reason why i own a Hot Rod.
The achievement bit is something i have trouble with. I am not alone, how many set out to 'achieve' the build of a Hot Rod but fail......
To me it's nothing short of hassle. To 'achieve' to the standard i consider necessary is nearly impossible without the benefits of a well equipped workshop. By now i should have that, but i don't, so i plod on trying to 'achieve' the near impossible with basic tools and a shagged out Black&Decker workbench. I could really enjoy the build process more if things were a tad easier.
So what i am saying is Hot Rod Heaven for me would be a workshop with a Lathe, Mill, TIG , decent compressor and space for 4 or 5 cars under cover with electric sectional doors in Southern France

model.A.keith
21-11-07, 08:40 AM
Just being here is an achievement in itself, after starting this journey 33 years ago, I now own a Hot Rod.

Haven’t stopped smiling yet !!!!!!

Koops
21-11-07, 11:42 AM
... I find it easy to see the finished car in my mind going down the road, I know not everyone can see the finished article but if you can it will save you lots of grief when your building

Amen Brother! Buying parts just 'cos you like 'em, doesn't get a car built. Sell what you truly aren't gonna use and build the car you are.

Brizey
21-11-07, 06:11 PM
Brizey, I REALLY wish I could be like you...one car that I am totally in love with.I'm trying my best to figure out what that one car is that will satisfy all my needs. getting a bit knackered to keep building and need something that looks good, rides nice and is COMFORTABLE .I know what I think will do that but will it ?? Another thread I think ?

You are 100% correct, you've got to really want what you are trying to build otherwise it cause it never to get finished. That's why a second project always tends to get the attention ,because it what you want NOW, the old one is what you wanted THEN. I still want them all , my budget says otherwise.

Kev, if you look at my recently updated `intro`, you`ll see i`ve had some diverse vehicles over the years, but, `32s (roadsters especialy) have always been uppermost to me for Hotrod material!. `32s, for me, have classic body lines coupled with aggresive good looks.

Would love to build a 60s style `23 T though, they have to be the ultimate in a stripped down, go fast Hotrod...

langysrodshop
21-11-07, 08:21 PM
I got one you could buy Dad, Save ya a lot of work :-)

PS. Don't tell em about the scooter LOL

Kev, if you look at my recently updated `intro`, you`ll see i`ve had some diverse vehicles over the years, but, `32s (roadsters especialy) have always been uppermost to me for Hotrod material!. `32s, for me, have classic body lines coupled with aggresive good looks.

Would love to build a 60s style `23 T though, they have to be the ultimate in a stripped down, go fast Hotrod...

Brizey
21-11-07, 09:24 PM
PS. Don't tell em about the scooter LOL

SSSSSSSHH...