PDA

View Full Version : trucks not running right

krazyquiff
22-11-07, 08:33 AM
Hi all my truck is not running right,i can get it to start after driving a few miles it will stop,if i try to start it straight away it will only start with choke but wont keep running,if i leave for 10 minutes it willl start and run for a little while before it stops again,however last night i started it and every time i pressed the throttle down it would die,any one got any suggestions to what to look for,i know the fuel is getting to the carb.forgot to mention this is a suzuki santana motor

Mart
22-11-07, 07:57 PM
Hard to say but a couple of things to look at.
1, Is the fuel cap supposed tp be vented? if so and it is blocked, it can cause fuel starvation after driving a few miles.
2, I have had similar problems with one particular distributor. It would seem the rotor arm was faulty and the HT side of the ignition would break down when the engine warmed up.
Oh how I laughed every time that left me stranded by the side of the road.
Mart.

krazyquiff
22-11-07, 08:35 PM
cheers Mart,I have just had the truck recovered,the driver tested the ignition and said it was fine,he seemed to think the electric fuel pump stops working properly after a while So i think i will change this,anyone got any suggestion of a good pump that i can fit in the engine bay.

Neil G
22-11-07, 11:35 PM
Other thing worth checking (if your running points that is) is the condenser,the Anglia ran fine till it got hot then cut out,leave it for 10 mins it would run then cut out again.
Most condensers are ****e nowadays,had 2 straight out the packet that were crud.

kapri
23-11-07, 08:45 AM
If the pump is in the bay that is most likely the problem. Most pumps are designed to push fuel from the back and should be fitted below /level with bottom of the tank and on a slight angle. This is because the fuel is used to cool the pump and the angle is to prevent air locks.

What carb is fitted to the engine and what pump is currently fitted ?

krazyquiff
24-11-07, 06:11 PM
It was running a moggy style electric pump,standard suzuki carb,i havent a clue what make it is.I have just borrowed a mates facett pump and the truck seemed to run better,i left it running for about 20 minutes and then took it out on the road for about 5 miles and had no problems,so hopefully this style pump will do the trick.