PDA

View Full Version : Upholstery fabric needed please?

59pickupgal
26-11-07, 09:58 PM
Had a great sample of some animal print upholstery fabric from a company called Boynett, but apparently they've stopped making it.......anyone know of any good suppliers? I'm looking for a leopard/ocelot vintage style fabric, in a short pile, must be of upholstery fabric quality....

Please take pity....I gotta change the seat in the pickup, it looks suspiciously like bus upholstery fabric, lol!!!!

thanks people :)

langysrodshop
26-11-07, 10:02 PM
Something like this do ya mean ???

http://usera.imagecave.com/stevelangylang/NSRA/suesinterior3.JPG

59pickupgal
26-11-07, 10:06 PM
ooooooooooooooohhhhhhhh yes!!!!!!! that's pretty lovely!

langysrodshop
26-11-07, 10:09 PM
Was the company you mentioned called Boyriven if so they moved from hanger lane area out to the sticks somewhere.

Most of the Animal print fabrics are available from the net, Try google search.

59pickupgal
26-11-07, 10:15 PM
No it was definitely Boynett Group, I'm sure...my friend is an upholsterer and he checked it for me...will do a google search, but have struggled to find a supplier in this country, was just hoping someone might know of one....I'd really set my heart on this particular fabric as it was very authentic, late 50s pattern....sorry, I'm a bit of a leopard print afficionado, lol! (fighting my inner Bet Lynch here, lol!)

langysrodshop
26-11-07, 10:32 PM
Have you met my Sue yet ??? She's got Leopard print everything, Even driving gloves & knickers !!!

No it was definitely Boynett Group, I'm sure...my friend is an upholsterer and he checked it for me...will do a google search, but have struggled to find a supplier in this country, was just hoping someone might know of one....I'd really set my heart on this particular fabric as it was very authentic, late 50s pattern....sorry, I'm a bit of a leopard print afficionado, lol! (fighting my inner Bet Lynch here, lol!)

langysrodshop
26-11-07, 10:35 PM
This is the firm i mentioned http://www.boyriven.co.uk/

Or knock yourself out here http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=t&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4ADBR_enGB220GB222&q=animal+print+fabrics

59pickupgal
26-11-07, 10:38 PM
Have you met my Sue yet ??? She's got Leopard print everything, Even driving gloves & knickers !!!

aaahhh a woman after my own heart.....nothing wrong with leopard print knickers, lol! You're not complaining are you??! hahaha

59pickupgal
26-11-07, 10:39 PM
This is the firm i mentioned http://www.boyriven.co.uk/

Or knock yourself out here http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=t&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4ADBR_enGB220GB222&q=animal+print+fabrics

Hey, thanks for that, will try boyriven....and then will do the needle in a haystack search, cheers! :D

hotrodgirl
26-11-07, 10:41 PM
Hi Pickupgal , nice that you like my upholstery in my pickup , not everyone's cupa tea but I love it !
Bit of a story to how I came across my upholstery fabric.
Wanted to cover some picture frames with leopard print fabric , I ended up finding my fabric over Bovingdon market we used some of it in our Teardrop trailer , liked it so much I dicided to use it in my Rod , but being red I was told it wouldn't go , but I wasn't put off , how wrong they were !!!
I know the markets still sell this fabric , you just have to go hunting & it's cheep .
Yes leopard print used to be known as tacky & a bit Bet Lynch , but what the hell !!

59pickupgal
26-11-07, 10:51 PM
Hiya!!!! What sort of person didn't think it would go with red??!!! goodness me! well you're very lucky, it looks beautiful in the photo.....I will go hunting, I just don't have a lot of spare time, I run my own shop and weekends are a bit occupied at the moment.....apparently Shepherds Bush has some good fabric shops, so must get up there soon....and according to the king of kitsch, John Waters "In order to acquire bad taste one must first have very, very good taste" Amen to that!

kapri
26-11-07, 11:18 PM
Sue, you'll love our kitchen cupboards then !

59pickupgal
26-11-07, 11:21 PM
Nooooooo!!!! In the kitchen!!!!! DING DONG!!!!! hahahahaha!

kapri
26-11-07, 11:23 PM
But it IS discreet ,you have to OPEN the cupboards first.!

59pickupgal
26-11-07, 11:26 PM
wow!!!! I'm intrigued, lol!!!!!! the counter in my shop is beautiful, wanted a proper sparkly counter and my paint sprayer friend did me a lovely glossy black base with multicolour sparkly metal flake.......looks amazing....my customers are always stunned, apparently, he's done a few kitchens too! and its lasting well!

hotrodgirl
26-11-07, 11:38 PM
Kev , I've nearly got black & pink metal flake kitchen cupboards , I say nearly because I'm still waiting for Steve to spray them , only been waiting since April when the rest of the kitchen was done in pink , black & chrome !
Bet your kitchen cupbourds looks great , amazing what you can do to be a little bit different !

kapri
26-11-07, 11:43 PM
Pukka original 50's cupboards as built into the house ! That's one of the reasons we bought up here. Work has stalled on it while I've been sorting the garage.
Anyway ,back to the thread or I'll have to lock myself out !!

I think Sue and Dave ,from Hotrod Tiki, used barkcloth curtains in the Tahitian with clear vinyl over the top ( I recognised the fabric from when we were shopping for new curtains Stateside !! ), that might widen the type of material you can use Rebecca ?

langysrodshop
26-11-07, 11:46 PM
This is the same material but under 15 coats of 2 pack lacquer.

http://usera.imagecave.com/stevelangylang/NSRA/suesinterior2.JPG

wow!!!! I'm intrigued, lol!!!!!! the counter in my shop is beautiful, wanted a proper sparkly counter and my paint sprayer friend did me a lovely glossy black base with multicolour sparkly metal flake.......looks amazing....my customers are always stunned, apparently, he's done a few kitchens too! and its lasting well!

59pickupgal
26-11-07, 11:57 PM
wow! feeling very inspired! I know Sue and Dave, Hotrod Tiki....she's been a great inspiration and did think about putting clear plastic over it, but I really want it to look fabric, y'know....my tattoo bench was originally leopard fur with plastic over it, the customers loved it, now I've re-covered it with an old fashioned tattoo flash style fabric, looks great too.......blimey, maybe I ought to do that instead.....now that's got me thinking..........

kapri
26-11-07, 11:59 PM
Sounds like a great idea to me !

59pickupgal
27-11-07, 12:08 AM
hmmmmmmm.....yes.......maybe..........:rolleyes:.. ...thanks for the chat you lovely people.....its been very helpful!

Rebecca x

Russ
27-11-07, 12:12 AM
if you can`t find the right animal print i think i`ve got an old donkey jacket you can have.
Russ:cool:

59pickupgal
27-11-07, 12:14 AM
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and what sort of pattern do donkeys have......pmsl!!!!!!!!

Russ
27-11-07, 12:18 AM
ha ha just dark grey with a vinyl patch on the back and shoulders, my wife asked for an animal skin coat for her birthday a few years ago and was less than happy when i got it for her, :mad:
Russ

59pickupgal
27-11-07, 12:20 AM
hahahahahahahaha...........are you still together, lol!!!!!! poor woman!

plumpcars
27-11-07, 10:02 AM
Rebecca...The tattoo fabric would reflect your own personality even more than the animal print and certainly be unique. Would it work with the body colours?

59pickupgal
27-11-07, 10:10 AM
Morning! yes the tattoo fabric would be good.....and yes the colours would look alright, its a light brown background....will have to take it down and throw it over the seat today:rolleyes:

Paul Y
27-11-07, 01:06 PM
I think the Tattoo fabric would look cool.

Failing that we had our dining room chairs covered in Friesian Cow print about 8 years ago and they are holding up really well even with 4 kids. I think the company does tiger, zebra and other animal prints, if it is of interest I have a few samples left over that should have the the company name on the back.

P.

59pickupgal
27-11-07, 06:50 PM
I think the Tattoo fabric would look cool.

Failing that we had our dining room chairs covered in Friesian Cow print about 8 years ago and they are holding up really well even with 4 kids. I think the company does tiger, zebra and other animal prints, if it is of interest I have a few samples left over that should have the the company name on the back.

P.Thanks Paul, yes...if you still have them, the company name would be most helpful :) (just in case....still looking for the tattoo fabric that I put in a safe place...its here somewhere!)

kapri
27-11-07, 07:21 PM
Fabricland, in the Cascades Portsmouth used to stock all manner of animal prints .

023 9283 2499

59pickupgal
27-11-07, 08:25 PM
Fabricland, in the Cascades Portsmouth used to stock all manner of animal prints .

023 9283 2499
:)Thank you, will try them too..

Paul Y
27-11-07, 08:35 PM
Thanks Paul, yes...if you still have them, the company name would be most helpful :) (just in case....still looking for the tattoo fabric that I put in a safe place...its here somewhere!)

OK,

The name on the back of the sample is as follows

G.P. & J Baker. These are the guys that actually make the fabric, if you go to an interior design or fabric type place and ask to see their sample books you will see a vast range.

I am looking at the Zebra print now and thinking I might do the truck seat in it!

Groooovvvvyyyy Babbbyyyyy.

P.

59pickupgal
27-11-07, 09:07 PM
OK,

The name on the back of the sample is as follows

G.P. & J Baker. These are the guys that actually make the fabric, if you go to an interior design or fabric type place and ask to see their sample books you will see a vast range.

I am looking at the Zebra print now and thinking I might do the truck seat in it!

Groooovvvvyyyy Babbbyyyyy.

P.:)Thanks.....and thanks everybody for your help! darn nice of ya!
I've started to look round the place and think what else needs re-covering now!

bladerunner
28-11-07, 11:58 AM
just spoken to a mate who ia a upholsterer and he tells me the people you need are a firm called fabricus phone 01422327322..hope this helps....baz

59pickupgal
29-11-07, 10:40 AM
Many thanks to you all, wasn't expecting such a big response.....now there's another good reason for using this forum :0)

chaley
29-11-07, 02:58 PM
She's got Leopard print everything, Even driving gloves & knickers !!!
Hotrodgirl, where do you shop? I've looked all over and I can't find a pair of driving knickers anywhere let alone leoplard print ones. What with crimbo coming I thought they'd make a great gift for Liz.;-)
Chaley