PDA

View Full Version : Drilling Windscreens

h0tr0dder_uk
27-11-07, 06:41 PM
Has anyone ever heard of a way of drilling (or maybe melting) a round hole in a windscreen (prob laminated)?? I saw a place in ireland that could do it for JCB's but don't know if they are laminated or not?

Its a bit of a mad idea but would be really handy and unique if it could be done

1st dibs
27-11-07, 07:06 PM
You Could Drill Or Cut A Hole In Laminated Glass Only, But The Chances Are You Would Probaly Break A Few Trying, Glass Tends To Go Brittle With Age Toughend Would Just Shatter

IF ITS A NEW PEICE OF GLASS, AND FLAT, MOST GLASS SUPLIERS COULD DO THE JOB
BUT THE HOLE GETS CUT BEFORE GOING THROUGH THE TOUGHENING
PROCESS, BIT LIKE CUTTING HOLES IN GLASS FOR HANDLES HOPE THIS HELPS

langysrodshop
27-11-07, 07:56 PM
Laminated can be drilled, I think they use meths or something, will ask my glass guy.

Russ
27-11-07, 08:05 PM
take it to a glazier they use a diamond tipped drill, goes through no problem, meths is used when cutting laminated screens down, don`t think it`s needed when drilling :cool:

1st dibs
27-11-07, 08:09 PM
Yes Thats Right On Chopping A Screen You Cut One Side Then Cut The Other Side Then Tip Meths On To It Set Light To It Makes Plastic Go Soft
Bend It Then Cut Through The Plastic Witha Razer Blade, Job Done If Your Lucky

ian.stewart
27-11-07, 08:26 PM
How big a hole do you need?? what ever you do you will need a lube!! white sprit, Parrafin or meths, meths is probably better as it will evaporate and not leech into the laminate,
I have cut holes in toughened glass on a drill press and a small stone with plenty of lube,
I suppose you may get away with using a tile drill and and masking tape as you would if you were drilling a painted surface, probably best to experiment on a scrap screen

h0tr0dder_uk
27-11-07, 10:34 PM
I guess I could get a few second hand screens to try, but thought it might be impossible. Its a front screen and its curved as well. The hole would probably only need to be about 10mm maximum

English Impala
28-11-07, 11:24 AM
How do they do it for phone aerials? I had one fitted to the rear side window of my Passat estate. Must admit I never watched him do it but assumed he'd drilled through, perhaps not though....

40Stude
28-11-07, 01:04 PM
It might be worth talking to a sand blaster. I can't remember where but I'm sure I read about cutting down screens for chopped cars by blasting.