PDA

View Full Version : Rodding in Catford SE6

Fatguyz
21-11-08, 05:22 PM
when living in Catford as a kid (68-82), use to see a few "custom" cars about. One of my earliest facinations was a jacked up Ford Pop that was being worked on in Broadfield Road....about 30 houses down from where i lived. Didnt ever see it finished or run for that matter but its probably what got me started........another that use to catch my eye was in Blackheath coming up from Kidbrook.......was set back in some off road parking and you could only see it from the top deck of the bus. It was.......well i don't know, but i could liken it to a Fad T of some description......purple i think with some murals on the side.......had a V8 with the loooong side pipes.

Anyone on here maybe???

FG

ian.stewart
21-11-08, 05:52 PM
The only pop I can remember around that time was Nick Shanleys, that was parked up on Burnt Ash Hill, Dave Lowe would probably know, hes an old f-rt and lived in the lewisham area for years

raysal
21-11-08, 05:57 PM
I had a Pop then, I was in Bird in Hand Passage, Forest hill. My mate was building a Hi-rise F series? Vauxhall victor oposite my house under the Bird in Hand pub.

kc
21-11-08, 05:58 PM
this job is right up ian stewarts alley, if you pardon the expression, he grew up in that area ( i use the phrase grew up in the looses possible sense... )

kev

kc
21-11-08, 05:59 PM
blast, he got in before i did !

Fatguyz
21-11-08, 06:07 PM
Nick Shanley.......Ford Pop:rolleyes:.....i think i mentioned to Nick a while back about it but didnt seem to know........if its any help i identifying.....i remember the guy had long hair and was sorta hispanic looking.....come to think about it, the long hair will be of no help as it was in the 70s lol

FG

et
21-11-08, 06:42 PM
one of the cars i remember from that area was the mk4 zepyher that belonged to
chrismk4 on here, and he still has it

Dave Lowe
21-11-08, 07:20 PM
The only pop I can remember around that time was Nick Shanleys, that was parked up on Burnt Ash Hill, Dave Lowe would probably know, hes an old f-rt and lived in the lewisham area for years

Old *parp* thats nice Ian And I was going to wish you a Happy Birthday today as well !

As its your birthday Ian------

http://usera.ImageCave.com/DaveLowe/2972460456_fa3a4f7614.jpg
http://usera.ImageCave.com/DaveLowe/img179.jpg

http://usera.ImageCave.com/devonrod/img160-copy.jpg
http://usera.ImageCave.com/devonrod/img161.jpg

Thats him in the Pink hat standing next to the pickup!!!!! His backside in the first photo, his dog in the second, his woody in the third.

http://usera.ImageCave.com/devonrod/thanks12.jpg

mr1958cadillac
21-11-08, 07:31 PM
Hey.......... thats my manor, well I am always going through it, LOL... I am a Bromley Boy

Does anyone remember the 57 Chevy 210 in Catford, along from the Catford tyre warehouse ( Old Place ) where they had the big T Bucket painted on the wall.... the Chevy was black and flamed ( 557 HOT ), same reg is now on a 55 chevy that is always at Krispys and Valley Park,

Was the pop in Broadfield Road blue...?

There was loads of cars around the surrounding areas back then, I remember finding loads on my BMX.........:)

Oh... and just for the record, there still is loads of cool cars in the area...:)

Fatguyz
21-11-08, 08:05 PM
Hey.......... thats my manor, well I am always going through it, LOL... I am a Bromley Boy

Does anyone remember the 57 Chevy 210 in Catford, along from the Catford tyre warehouse ( Old Place ) where they had the big T Bucket painted on the wall.... the Chevy was black and flamed ( 557 HOT ), same reg is now on a 55 chevy that is always at Krispys and Valley Park,

Was the pop in Broadfield Road blue...?

There was loads of cars around the surrounding areas back then, I remember finding loads on my BMX.........:)

Oh... and just for the record, there still is loads of cool cars in the area...:)

Im a bromely boy as well..........Catford tyre warehouse.....god hats just reminded me.....as for the pop........i seem to remember it was a dark colour....jag rear end with obligatory red light......

FG

Klunk
21-11-08, 08:21 PM
I'm an ex Bromley area resident...as is Roland. But we were but twinkles in our dad's eyes during the time you guys are discussing......

Only cars I ever saw were Dennis's Austin (Turboman) the Mr Twister? Viva? that was down Elmer's end and the Street Machine 'Dole Money Sleeper' Chevette.

Cragarsarecool
21-11-08, 08:26 PM
Jeez Dave, that little innocent lad standing next to Ian's written off more cars than I've owned!! 23(?)-year old Herbert now...

..and that dog - bigger, greyer, smellier - hang on that's Ian....

Happy birthday you old f*rt....

Cragarsarecool
21-11-08, 08:27 PM
"the Street Machine 'Dole Money Sleeper' Chevette."

eh?

KimLeonard
21-11-08, 08:49 PM
"the Street Machine 'Dole Money Sleeper' Chevette."

eh?

Before your time my son !!

Cragarsarecool
21-11-08, 08:53 PM
Discuss...!

Skimmer
21-11-08, 08:57 PM
BMX in the 70's ???? you were 15 to 20 years ahead of the times ..... LOL...Dont you mean Raleigh chopper or Grifter ????.... ..LOL.....[QUOTE=mr1958cadillac;143641]

I remember finding loads on my BMX.........:)

KimLeonard
21-11-08, 08:58 PM
Discuss...!

Its how Dave learnt to do 'shaved door handles' !!

Cragarsarecool
21-11-08, 09:03 PM
I must be fick, still not with you... sorry pal..

Fatguyz
21-11-08, 09:15 PM
I'm an ex Bromley area resident...as is Roland. But we were but twinkles in our dad's eyes during the time you guys are discussing......

Only cars I ever saw were Dennis's Austin (Turboman) the Mr Twister? Viva? that was down Elmer's end and the Street Machine 'Dole Money Sleeper' Chevette.

Klunk...your the same age as me and Ro has GOT to be even older;)

FG

Klunk
21-11-08, 09:19 PM
Jase, Three years younger on my part, Roland is four months older than me!

kc
21-11-08, 09:41 PM
Discuss...!

you bloody teenagers, coming on here, causing bother...

mikeyboy
21-11-08, 11:17 PM
Catfords most noteworthy hot rod was the black 32 5 window seen in the early 70s.I think its been on a thread here.We would drive all the way over there from wandsworth just to look at it. I believe it had a V6 in it then.

58 delray
21-11-08, 11:22 PM
i grew up in catford 65-86 and remember going to a small show in mottingham,
andy

petespops
21-11-08, 11:33 PM
Have you all forgotten Dave Waynes,s "The Sweeney" mk3 Zody.

That lived 2 roads up from me, in my Uncle,s road in Catford.

Anyone remember my old Consul Capri... ermine white slammed on the deck with wolfies whilst everyone else was riding round with foot long spring shackles.

Whatever happened to all the sit up begs parked in a garden on the junction of Cranston rd & Stanstead road?

Klunk
21-11-08, 11:49 PM
There was a rodded sit up and beg rusting away in a front garden in Croydon, near West Croydon Station. It was there about three years ago. We discussed it on here about four years ago.

kc
22-11-08, 09:28 AM
There was a rodded sit up and beg rusting away in a front garden in Croydon, near West Croydon Station. It was there about three years ago. We discussed it on here about four years ago. blimey, never seen that one, and i only live in addiscombe!

MisteR Tee
22-11-08, 10:26 AM
Catfords most noteworthy hot rod was the black 32 5 window seen in the early 70s.I think its been on a thread here.We would drive all the way over there from wandsworth just to look at it. I believe it had a V6 in it then.

Wasn't that Gus (MacDonald?)'s that he had for decades, finally ended up in his front garden just off the South Circular until he died & was bought by Mick Micetich?

Gus took it to Keith Pope's D & S Frameshop in Sydenham once for a quote on fitting a front clip in it, never had it done in the end & it ended up really ratty.

vince-305
22-11-08, 10:38 AM
Whatever happened to all the sit up begs parked in a garden on the junction of Cranston rd & Stanstead road?

I dont ever remember those pete but i do know of 1 near the junction of firhill rd and moremead rd and a consul in the same garden ........................THERE mine :)

MisteR Tee
22-11-08, 11:04 AM
My first car club was the Con Rodders(!) & was based around the Catford/Eltham area as, at the time it was made up of BHRA members by postcode & this was the SE area. I was the most distant of all & had to drive way over to the Castle pub in Eltham (now gone) for the club meets. I remember the day I was "recruited", I came home to find a Mk11 Cortina Estate parked outside, the driver took ages to get out because, as I found out later, he drove in bare feet (for better feel!), so had to keep putting his shoes on & off. Can't for the life of me remember his name but his Cortina was very quick & he used to race it at Santa Pod. Most of us became marshalls there, when I persuaded them to join me, eventually taking up key roles such as motorcycle scrutineer (Trevor Jones), tech crew (John Hill & myself), track manager (Dave Watts), startline marshall (Harry Crowther).

http://usera.ImageCave.com/mistertee/BHRA/img103.jpg

et
22-11-08, 12:30 PM
Have you all forgotten Dave Waynes,s "The Sweeney" mk3 Zody.

That lived 2 roads up from me, in my Uncle,s road in Catford.

Anyone remember my old Consul Capri... ermine white slammed on the deck with wolfies whilst everyone else was riding round with foot long spring shackles.

sure the pops all got scraped when the house got sold and turned into flats
there also used to be a green capri off wolstone road with full width IRS on the back
& big arches on front to match used to pick someone up from Forest Hill Boys School
then got parked up in a garden and left there for years

i do remember a white consul capri off newlands pk near the park

AL
22-11-08, 01:16 PM

That was a stocker that belonged to a bloke called Martin Hughes, he was a mobile welder.

Does anyone remember the white 2 door Mk2 Cortina that had 8x15 slots tucked up under the rear years before it was the done thing, last time I saw it was on Ebay, it'd been painted yellow. It crops up on a Cortina site for sale sometimes too.

There used to be a pretty clean Mk1 Cortina in red with Appliance wire mags in Parish Lane, Penge. At the bottom of Parish Lane was John Russels place, he had a Mk4 Zephyr that changed names & wheels a few times. It was always black with black windows, first time it was called Rollerball with Rocket 5 spokes, it then became Sunset Boulevard with murals. He also had a black Mk4 limo called the Hustler & built a red, 400SBC powered XJ Jag, he was in the South London Custom Club & was the first bloke I met that was really into the custom scene & used to let me hang around the workshop after school.

petespops
22-11-08, 02:04 PM
sure the pops all got scraped when the house got sold and turned into flats
there also used to be a green capri off wolstone road with full width IRS on the back
& big arches on front to match used to pick someone up from Forest Hill Boys School
then got parked up in a garden and left there for years

Yes that was my old Capri after I sold it in 1976 to a guy who lived off of Newlands park.

petespops
22-11-08, 02:11 PM
[QUOTE=AL;144071]That was a stocker that belonged to a bloke called Martin Hughes, he was a mobile welder.

Al, so you know Martin as well, he was the guy I sold the Capri to. He later wrote it off somewhere near Croydon.

He also ended up with Stuart, Roger, Bob and myself at the Maggot farm, off of North Cray road.

They were the days eh?

ian.stewart
22-11-08, 03:45 PM
Another one in the Lewisham area, was the Street Machine pop, and later a flamed T, also a S & M car? both used to live on Hilly Fields Crescent, I think they both had something to do with the Chopper Shop in Tanners Hill, of course another long time rodder who was and is still in the Area is the infamous Mr Arlett,
Also a Forgotten car from that area was Jeff Collins blue Mk2 Consul, slammed on steels with V6 under the bonnet, I think it was the same car that was used in the S & M introduction for a few years, he also built a a white Morris 8 with wide arches in the same sort of style as Berpop, that got into CC too, following the link the Morris was owned by by Steve Spear?, who put a RV8 in it in the road, 200yds away there was a 460cu pop being built in the same road, also not a few yards from where Dave Lowe built his Devon, and not more than 400 yds from where the S & M cars were, anyway, Steve built and owns the superb blue 37? bug eyed willys sedan, also around the corner was Ray Russels High Rise mk2 ZZ, eventually sold to Steve Dowler, who pro streeted it and painted it yello and white, I think thats still about

Fatguyz
22-11-08, 05:36 PM
apart from my early recollections of the pop in my road, it wasnt until years later that i heard many stories of rods/yanks/customs from this area but i'd never seen them....seems that it has quite a lot of history of cars from the area.

FG

mr1958cadillac
22-11-08, 06:12 PM
apart from my early recollections of the pop in my road, it wasnt until years later that i heard many stories of rods/yanks/customs from this area but i'd never seen them....seems that it has quite a lot of history of cars from the area.

FG

There have been hundreds of cool cars in this area, sadly me and my brothers have sold most of them now....LOL:)

escyestate
22-11-08, 06:52 PM
the morris was owned by steve speer`s from sidcup who now owns the blue 38 willy sedan.
being only 25. i lived in flowerhouse estate up till i was 4ish then moved to grove park
there used to be a mk2 cortina, black with slot mags running a mustang 302 v8 owned by barry francis. teddy al (alan lampard) had a mk1 zepher. there was a jag powered pop called popcorn which had the first pop jago chassis that was sold to the public. my uncle clive wooster had a red pop with dodgy headlights in the wings. my dad had a mk1 + a mk2 concil, and the fordson (old iron) which sat outside sebron autostores in downham alot.
does anyone remember the chimbrook cruisers?

kc
22-11-08, 07:52 PM
the morris was owned by steve speer`s from sidcup who now owns the blue 38 willy sedan.
being only 25. i lived in flowerhouse estate up till i was 4ish then moved to grove park
there used to be a mk2 cortina, black with slot mags running a mustang 302 v8 owned by barry francis. teddy al (alan lampard) had a mk1 zepher. there was a jag powered pop called popcorn which had the first pop jago chassis that was sold to the public. my uncle clive wooster had a red pop with dodgy headlights in the wings. my dad had a mk1 + a mk2 concil, and the fordson (old iron) which sat outside sebron autostores in downham alot.
does anyone remember the chimbrook cruisers? steves morris was a feature car in probably custom car the 1970s and originally had a v4, alan lampard is still around and is still driving his 302 powered, 2 tone mk1...

kc
22-11-08, 07:57 PM
That was a stocker that belonged to a bloke called Martin Hughes, he was a mobile welder.

Does anyone remember the white 2 door Mk2 Cortina that had 8x15 slots tucked up under the rear years before it was the done thing, last time I saw it was on Ebay, it'd been painted yellow. It crops up on a Cortina site for sale sometimes too.

There used to be a pretty clean Mk1 Cortina in red with Appliance wire mags in Parish Lane, Penge. At the bottom of Parish Lane was John Russels place, he had a Mk4 Zephyr that changed names & wheels a few times. It was always black with black windows, first time it was called Rollerball with Rocket 5 spokes, it then became Sunset Boulevard with murals. He also had a black Mk4 limo called the Hustler & built a red, 400SBC powered XJ Jag, he was in the South London Custom Club & was the first bloke I met that was really into the custom scene & used to let me hang around the workshop after school.

al, used to see the cortina driving around downham and sydenham, nice car! john russels zephyr used to be a regular sight, im sure it had a rover v8...

et
22-11-08, 08:29 PM

remember the cortina was owned by a bloke called Rob im sure it was a 1500GT he also
had a red MK2 savage crayford

et
22-11-08, 08:32 PM
Another one in the Lewisham area, was the Street Machine pop, and later a flamed T, also a S & M car? both used to live on Hilly Fields Crescent, I think they both had something to do with the Chopper Shop in Tanners Hill, of course another long time rodder who was and is still in the Area is the infamous Mr Arlett,
Also a Forgotten car from that area was Jeff Collins blue Mk2 Consul, slammed on steels with V6 under the bonnet, I think it was the same car that was used in the S & M introduction for a few years, he also built a a white Morris 8 with wide arches in the same sort of style as Berpop, that got into CC too, following the link the Morris was owned by by Steve Spear?, who put a RV8 in it in the road, 200yds away there was a 460cu pop being built in the same road, also not a few yards from where Dave Lowe built his Devon, and not more than 400 yds from where the S & M cars were, anyway, Steve built and owns the superb blue 37? bug eyed willys sedan, also around the corner was Ray Russels High Rise mk2 ZZ, eventually sold to Steve Dowler, who pro streeted it and painted it yello and white, I think thats still about

known nick Arlett for years nice helpful bloke

Klunk
22-11-08, 08:46 PM
known nick Arlett for years nice helpful bloke

One of the guys that comes down the yard on Tuesday nights bought his Cossie powered Cortina estate, had it a few years then sold it back to him...LOL

Very Clever bloke! (Nick, not the bloke I talk about..LOL)

et
22-11-08, 08:54 PM
One of the guys that comes down the yard on Tuesday nights bought his Cossie powered Cortina estate, had it a few years then sold it back to him...LOL

Very Clever bloke! (Nick, not the bloke I talk about..LOL)

remember him building the estate for his son nicholas
at the same time building his own MK1 cortina with a harris built red top

escyestate
22-11-08, 09:09 PM
steves morris was a feature car in probably custom car the 1970s and originally had a v4, alan lampard is still around and is still driving his 302 powered, 2 tone mk1...

al`s car now with torque thrusts on it looks the nuts.
i remember the feature on steves morris, it was at danson park, welling b4 he owned it tho i think.

kc
22-11-08, 10:37 PM
al`s car now with torque thrusts on it looks the nuts.
i remember the feature on steves morris, it was at danson park, welling b4 he owned it tho i think. steve didnt own it i think untill some time after the feature. a little time after it was in the magazine, i was driving around in my first jacked up morris minor and just up the road from my house is a small car sales site and i remember seeing it through the window, tried to find out how much it was, but turned out it was only on display! must have been around 1978 ?

kev

Dave Lowe
23-11-08, 12:18 PM
does anyone remember the chimbrook cruisers?

Steve Speer lived in Tyrwhitt Rd in Brockley and built the Morris mainly in the street, I can remember puting the engine in with him and making up the gearbox crossmember from angle !
I also lived in Tyrwhitt Rd as well as Dave Pearce who built a Rover powered HA Viva van in the street, we later shared a garage and he built his red primer Anglia that went on to win the street racer champion.

ian.stewart
23-11-08, 01:48 PM
Steve Speer lived in Tyrwhitt Rd in Brockley and built the Morris mainly in the street, I can remember puting the engine in with him and making up the gearbox crossmember from angle !
I also lived in Tyrwhitt Rd as well as Dave Pearce who built a Rover powered HA Viva van in the street, we later shared a garage and he built his red primer Anglia that went on to win the street racer champion.

Dave, I knew it was Tyrwhitt road, but I could not remember how to spell it, of course there was Big Dave also in Tyrwitt road with the Red 65 Riveria, and the Blue AMC Javelin 71?opposite, Dave Pierce also had a Dark metallic green 67 cougar, georgeous car,
Back to Catford, Micky Gilbert of Gilberts of Catford, Honda Dealers,[Sangley Road,] had a very quick 68 Camaro, that was allways parked outside the shop untill it was written off by an errant Van, I think Al Bishop lived in Catford with the arrow straight Black Humber Super Snipe, SBC powered, that was totaled on the M20 doing Nitrous Trials, when the rear axle sheared its U bolts, and put the car on its roof,
I think the best sounding car although a kit car was a Duton!!!!! Alfa Montreal V8 powered,you could hear it coming from miles away, sounding like a Fomula One car, which of course the engine was derrived, that used to get up the Dutch House on a regular basis, Was Steve Corbett from beckenham with the blue Pro St Mk 2 ZZ, blown SBC, stunning car, I beleive ha still has it but not turned a wheel for 20 years since engine trouble took it off the road, and his buddy, Alan Lampard with his Mk1 ZZ, he was/is a bromley boy,

Jonny69
23-11-08, 02:12 PM
Sydenham? I lived on Newlands Park from 1989 until I left home in 1996 and before that two roads up in Wiverton Road.

Funny, we're Hughes' too but nothing to do with him :D

There was a guy in the house next to the Grundig factory that used to own a lot of yanks and someone next to the park that used to have interesting stuff. Later years it was a load of AMC Pacers. Nick Arlett used to live nearby. We had a dark green 67/68/69 Pontiac Tempest up until about 1984 then a red Cobra from 1992 to about 1996. I had a 100E from 1997 onward then my Anglia from around summer 2000. We also had a Mk1 Cortina and Mk1 Escort during that time.

Don't remember seeing a lot of rods or customs in the area but a few I remember seeing are a white Capri jacked up at the back, a hirise Mk2 Consul or Zephyr and a real 90's style pro street Cortina in lilac. There used to be a pair of serious caged out Mk1 Escorts around, red one and a yellow one I think.

Yes that was my old Capri after I sold it in 1976 to a guy who lived off of Newlands park.
Way before I was born :D

Apparently the bloke that ran Downham Autos had a rodded Pop, this would have been early/mid 90s, anyone know anything about that?

petespops
23-11-08, 03:34 PM
Sydenham? I lived on Newlands Park from 1989 until I left home in 1996 and before that two roads up in Wiverton Road.

Funny, we're Hughes' too but nothing to do with him :D

There was a guy in the house next to the Grundig factory that used to own a lot of yanks and someone next to the park that used to have interesting stuff. Later years it was a load of AMC Pacers. Nick Arlett used to live nearby. We had a dark green 67/68/69 Pontiac Tempest up until about 1984 then a red Cobra from 1992 to about 1996. I had a 100E from 1997 onward then my Anglia from around summer 2000. We also had a Mk1 Cortina and Mk1 Escort during that time.

Don't remember seeing a lot of rods or customs in the area but a few I remember seeing are a white Capri jacked up at the back, a hirise Mk2 Consul or Zephyr and a real 90's style pro street Cortina in lilac. There used to be a pair of serious caged out Mk1 Escorts around, red one and a yellow one I think.

Way before I was born :D

Apparently the bloke that ran Downham Autos had a rodded Pop, this would have been early/mid 90s, anyone know anything about that?

Martin Hughes is the same guy that later moved on to the Pacers & Thames 400E,s.
He has his own garage off of Stanstead road, Catford.

ian.stewart
23-11-08, 04:36 PM
the bloke that ran Downham Autos had a rodded Pop, this would have been early/mid 90s, anyone know anything about that?
Steve is alive and kicking and on here as Fordson 39, assuming its the same fella, Steve deffo worked at Downhams in the 80s but had the Fordson, not a Pop, always handy for a few bits, especially as he was HotRod orientated,

Mepy
23-11-08, 04:58 PM
was`nt martin kelly and the desparado `t` from round there somewhere ? i remember going to his place while he was building it with my brother, many moons ago

kev elliott
23-11-08, 10:53 PM
Dave, I knew it was Tyrwhitt road, but I could not remember how to spell it, of course there was Big Dave also in Tyrwitt road with the Red 65 Riveria, and the Blue AMC Javelin 71?opposite, Dave Pierce also had a Dark metallic green 67 cougar, georgeous car,
Back to Catford, Micky Gilbert of Gilberts of Catford, Honda Dealers,[Sangley Road,] had a very quick 68 Camaro, that was allways parked outside the shop untill it was written off by an errant Van, I think Al Bishop lived in Catford with the arrow straight Black Humber Super Snipe, SBC powered, that was totaled on the M20 doing Nitrous Trials, when the rear axle sheared its U bolts, and put the car on its roof,
I think the best sounding car although a kit car was a Duton!!!!! Alfa Montreal V8 powered,you could hear it coming from miles away, sounding like a Fomula One car, which of course the engine was derrived, that used to get up the Dutch House on a regular basis, Was Steve Corbett from beckenham with the blue Pro St Mk 2 ZZ, blown SBC, stunning car, I beleive ha still has it but not turned a wheel for 20 years since engine trouble took it off the road, and his buddy, Alan Lampard with his Mk1 ZZ, he was/is a bromley boy,

Steve Corbett lived in Hayes, though Alan Lampard was from Bromley. We used to run around as SAS Racing, with Barry Dacey (when he had the Rover V8 yellow Firenza, then then Pro St Vega), Steve D'Souza (Pro St 100E), Gary Gwilliam (Green Pro St Pop) and Pete the printer (Red Pop), Ian Vaughan (V6 MkII Consul) , meeting at The Beckenham in Beckenham high street. Steve Corbett had a red Pontiac GTO before the MkII, as well as the 'Medway Skip Hire' roofless Viva wagon later on!

mr1958cadillac
23-11-08, 11:07 PM
Steve is alive and kicking and on here as Fordson 39, assuming its the same fella, Steve deffo worked at Downhams in the 80s but had the Fordson, not a Pop, always handy for a few bits, especially as he was HotRod orientated,

I worked in " Downham Autos " too, when I had my 55 Mercury and my 32, I also had a chopped A60 pickup and several mk2's duing my spell there.

And yes the other person was " Steve Elliott " with the 39 fordson

Funny how that shop has had many faces working in it...LOL, " ince 305 " Prostreet1970GTO " also worked there......not to mention many others including " Vince Tray " ( Willy's Coupe ) the list goes on...

Maybe it should be more of who hasn't worked there rather than who has....?

mr1958cadillac
23-11-08, 11:18 PM
Does anyone remember the very knackered 64 Chevy that was in Downham for years, the same bloke owned a very knackered P A Cresta too.

Also in Downham was " Lee Grey " who owned a 1970 mustang back in the early 80's, which he later sold and bought a 60's Mustang

There is also a bloke that had a 65 chevy living in Downham, he had the Chevy from new and sold it to my brother in 1983, ironically he still lives there, he also had a 68 Camaro plus several others, he comes around and chats when we are outside with the cars.... I think he's name is Howard

Oh and then there was us.....:) The Lowis's

When we moved in back in 1980 my brother had this...58 Edsel followed by hundreds of other rods yanks and old english relics

http://www.timetraveldvds.co.uk/gallery/SLYFIELD%201982/thumbnails/slyfield_1982_025.jpg (http://www.timetraveldvds.co.uk/gallery/SLYFIELD%201982/target25.html)

escyestate
23-11-08, 11:23 PM

yeah steve (my dad) is on here as fordson39. he worked at downhams up to 99.

oh and i remember a certian pair of twins always popping round my home, si + spence

mr1958cadillac
23-11-08, 11:31 PM
oh and i remember a certian pair of twins always popping round my home, si + spence

That will be me and my twin brother ( Prostreet1970GTO ) then....:)

et
24-11-08, 09:41 AM
I worked in " Downham Autos " too, when I had my 55 Mercury and my 32, I also had a chopped A60 pickup and several mk2's duing my spell there.

And yes the other person was " Steve Elliott " with the 39 fordson

Funny how that shop has had many faces working in it...LOL, " ince 305 " Prostreet1970GTO " also worked there......not to mention many others including " Vince Tray " ( Willy's Coupe ) the list goes on...

Maybe it should be more of who hasn't worked there rather than who has....?

Vince Tray theres a name not heard for a while,
remember racing him back from the Dutch House one tuesday night
when he had his V8 capri, i was in a transit think you know who one lol

alan

ian.stewart
24-11-08, 11:51 AM
Vince Tray theres a name not heard for a while,
remember racing him back from the Dutch House one tuesday night
when he had his V8 capri, i was in a transit think you know who one lol

alan

Thats a Name I had forgotten too, Was the Capri he had Ray Russels, had a Olds 350 from a Vista Cruiser fitted,

mr1958cadillac
24-11-08, 12:02 PM
Other cars in the area include.....

Early 80's there was a 63 T Bird in the flats on Waters road... My brother bought it and sold it a few months later... never seen it since

There was " Pat's " MK2 Zodiac with the Ford 351 in it in Downham early eighties

A White 68 Charger in Perry hill behind the church

I bought an orange " T Bucket " from Len in Swallands Road back in the eighties...never did finish it

Another " T " was often seen on the Bellingham estate... a yellow one I think it had a V6 in it

A green 39 Chrysler in Hither Green ( Owned by Tony Williams, Ricky's 32 5 window's dad )

A 73 Charger in Middle Park Avenue ( Eltham ) owned by Pete

Ron Hatchman was in Lewisham and he has had loads of cars... Many Corvettes and early yanks

Dennis ( surname unknown ) was also in Lewisham had a 59 Chevy

Colin Donaldson had a 57 Chevy 2 door ( Yellow ) parked just along from Gilberts of Catford in Sangley Road

Another " Len " lived in Downham had a 69 / 70 Pontiac Tempest

The Chopped MK 2 Consul lowerider was on Bromley Hill

A 1960 Cadillac Coupe was in the road between the " Garden Gate " pub and " Shortlands " ( Again bought by my brother and sold to Dave Myers of Dulwich early eighties )

A Gold 59 Ford Retractable was also in the same Road, parked just along from the Garden gate

A Mk1 Cortina ( late 70's custom ) was often seen around the area... the one with the spider web grille.....never did know if it was a local car

The list goes on.........

et
24-11-08, 12:23 PM
Thats a Name I had forgotten too, Was the Capri he had Ray Russels, had a Olds 350 from a Vista Cruiser fitted,

all i can remember is the capri was red, and started as a 2.0

et
24-11-08, 12:27 PM
Other cars in the area include.....

Early 80's there was a 63 T Bird in the flats on Waters road... My brother bought it and sold it a few months later... never seen it since

There was " Pat's " MK2 Zodiac with the Ford 351 in it in Downham early eighties

A White 68 Charger in Perry hill behind the church

I bought an orange " T Bucket " from Len in Swallands Road back in the eighties...never did finish it

Another " T " was often seen on the Bellingham estate... a yellow one I think it had a V6 in it

A green 39 Chrysler in Hither Green ( Owned by Tony Williams, Ricky's 32 5 window's dad )

A 73 Charger in Middle Park Avenue ( Eltham ) owned by Pete

Ron Hatchman was in Lewisham and he has had loads of cars... Many Corvettes and early yanks

Dennis ( surname unknown ) was also in Lewisham had a 59 Chevy

Colin Donaldson had a 57 Chevy 2 door ( Yellow ) parked just along from Gilberts of Catford in Sangley Road

Another " Len " lived in Downham had a 69 / 70 Pontiac Tempest

The Chopped MK 2 Consul lowerider was on Bromley Hill

A 1960 Cadillac Coupe was in the road between the " Garden Gate " pub and " Shortlands " ( Again bought by my brother and sold to Dave Myers of Dulwich early eighties )

A Gold 59 Ford Retractable was also in the same Road, parked just along from the Garden gate

A Mk1 Cortina ( late 70's custom ) was often seen around the area... the one with the spider web grille.....never did know if it was a local car

The list goes on.........

would that be the late lenny bridgeman ?
remember he built a T in his back garden but had no way of getting it out
so took it apart again, dont think it ever went back together

alan

Fatguyz
24-11-08, 12:30 PM
now that you mention Downham and Bellingham.............and a few other places around and about...............more vague recollections of cars keeping appearing in my mind...............i seem to remember a blue charger????? that i sometimes saw outside the "magnificent 7" motorcycle stunt team "hut" down sangley road ............thing is in them days the two tin cans with string inbetween never had a camera on them:p.

No name for the owner of the Pop in Broadfield Road yet????

FG

mr1958cadillac
24-11-08, 12:31 PM
would that be the late lenny bridgeman ?
remember he built a T in his back garden but had no way of getting it out
so took it apart again, dont think it ever went back together

alan

Thats the very one.....:)

I done the same thing, built it in the back garden..LMAO

et
24-11-08, 12:33 PM
a few others i remember

black sam, Verdent lane MK1 zephyer

steve benton ??, pro street P100

mad mick medford, pro street consul capri

alan

ian.stewart
24-11-08, 12:33 PM
Another "T" from the Lewisham was a metallic pink Opus, 1500 Pre x flow, used to be owned by the fella who had the small car front on the corner of Mill Road/loampit Vale, right on the side of the Ravensbourne River bridge and the Arches of the railway, I think the front was later owned by a fella called Errol, who I saw on the Cook Report threatening to do things with the said Mr Cook over some missing plant

mr1958cadillac
24-11-08, 12:35 PM

No that Capri ( Grey primered ) was totalled by a guy that worked for Gilberts Honda ( Rob ) he lost it in Beckenham one night on muirhead bridge and went through the wall of the industrial units...it sat in Queen's yard for ages afterwards.... I told Ray about it just after it happened

I still have the scoop from it.... smashed :)

MisteR Tee
24-11-08, 12:42 PM
Not quite rodding, but wasn't the scooter shop in Catford owned by the Gilberts? I bought my Lambretta from there (long before the one-way system was built!) & at the time I think they held the sprinting record for their class with a stripped down Lamby?

I mention this as I went to Blackbushe for one of the Drag Fests on my Lamby!

et
24-11-08, 12:44 PM
No that Capri ( Grey primered ) was totalled by a guy that worked for Gilberts Honda ( Rob ) he lost it in Beckenham one night on muirhead bridge and went through the wall of the industrial units...it sat in Queen's yard for ages afterwards.... I told Ray about it just after it happened

think there ywo differenet capri, i saw the grey one in queens when my mate worked there

alan

et
24-11-08, 12:46 PM
Not quite rodding, but wasn't the scooter shop in Catford owned by the Gilberts? I bought my Lambretta from there (long before the one-way system was built!) & at the time I think they held the sprinting record for their class with a stripped down Lamby?

when national express still ran the coach station

alan

mr1958cadillac
24-11-08, 01:04 PM
More memories coming back

Bill Knight in Larrie Park Rd, Sydenham had a Mk 2 Zodiac lowerider ( True Blue ) plus several others including a 1970 Buick GS

In the same garden ( Shared flat ) was Henri Pilon's 54 Ford Crestaline ( two tone blue )

59 Ford 4 door and 59 / 60 Chevy on Crystal Palace Park Rd junction of Chaucer rd for ages

70 Mustang parked in the same road opposite side ( Not same person )

Sit up and beg Pop at the top of the road ( Might still be there )

Mk 2 Consul behind a wall just around the corner ( That's still there, been there years )

Same road had a 68 Chevy 4 door ( Blue, owned by an old black guy )

Two 57 oldsmobile's and a 68 Camaro in Sydenham Hill Road

51 Chevy Stepside in Dartmouth Road

http://www.timetraveldvds.co.uk/gallery/SLYFIELD%201988/thumbnails/slyfield_1988_040.jpg (http://www.timetraveldvds.co.uk/gallery/SLYFIELD%201988/target41.html)

Later ended up in " TJ's " diner in Epsom

A multi coloured metalflake 67 Camaro in Sydenham opposite Silverdale ( might still be there... ) was in a unit

Rob's " F " type victor ( Black & Flamed ) in Downham

Lowlife ( Matt black Chopped E Series Vauxhall ) in Hither Green

Orange " T Bucket " off Barring Rd ( Grove Pk )

34 Ford roadster ( All Original ) In Southover by the fields

67 dodge Coronet in Downham, same guy had a 65 Mustang

53 Mk1 Consul ( Flat Dash ) owned by Tim O Regan ) by the Garden Gate pub

49 Cadillac fastback & MK 2 Consul owned by Brian, by the Northwood pub ( Lee )

59 Cadillac coupe ( NOT MINE ) seen several times behind Catford police station

Paul Getty of Eltham ( Had loads of cars back in the day ) still has a 59 Chevy Coupe

58 Chevy Wagon and 58 Chevy Pick up ( Cut from a car or wagon ) in Middle park Road Eltham ( Paul's mate pete I think ) ( The 58 Chevy wagon was later bought by my brother and went to Sweden )

Ouch, the brain is hurting....:)

MisteR Tee
24-11-08, 01:06 PM
Not that old but a guy called Tony Warwicker built a 34 coupe entirely in his front garden (which was quite small) in Sydenham about 10 or 15 years ago & showed it for a year or so, but now it only comes out for its MOT once a year now.

et
24-11-08, 01:20 PM
from memory there was a custom vauxhall victor ? in a garden in charlieville circus off
crystal palace park road .
kent house road was leigh Dukes : red blown V8 frenzia (mr shifter)

mr1958cadillac
24-11-08, 01:21 PM

I worked there too....LMAO ( I found many old pictures in the 12 years that I worked for Gilbert, loads of interesting stuff from the old days, Gilbert even had hair...LOL )

The Log for the " Gilberts " transporter had some interesting cars picked up on it too...many " Pod " run's and collections from the dock's with the old yank imports, ect :)

mr1958cadillac
24-11-08, 01:22 PM
from memory there was a custom vauxhall victor ? in a garden in charlieville circus off
crystal palace park road .

I think that was my old mate Eddie, he had several MK2's and Vauxhalls

Lost Touch

ian.stewart
24-11-08, 02:01 PM
a few others i remember

black sam, Verdent lane MK1 zephyer

steve benton ??, pro street P100

mad mick medford, pro street consul capri

alan

I saw Sam a Little while ago round Nick Arletts, possibly working for him,

Steve, Totally out of cars, Was running a pub recently,

Mick, still about, building a Husky and a pop for his Missus.

MisteR Tee
24-11-08, 02:10 PM
I worked there too....LMAO ( I found many old pictures in the 12 years that I worked for Gilbert, loads of interesting stuff from the old days, Gilbert even had hair...LOL )

The Log for the " Gilberts " transporter had some interesting cars picked up on it too...many " Pod " run's and collections from the dock's with the old yank imports, ect :)

Small world innit? They knew my old boss, John Bennett (founder of SPR) which is probably how I came to know of them. I remember seeing them at the Pod in the early years. They were part of the NSA at the time I believe.

ian.stewart
24-11-08, 02:10 PM

Even I remember when Mick Gilbert had hair, and a Camaro, I can remember Mick taking a Honda 500 Turbo?? up the strip,

Klunk
24-11-08, 02:16 PM
kent house road was leigh Dukes : red blown V8 frenzia (mr shifter)

That's the one I used to see, I did refer to it earlier in this thread, but I think I got the name all wrong.

I'm an ex Bromley area resident...

Only cars I ever saw were.......... the Mr Twister? Viva? that was down Elmer's end.

Edit- It would appear i did....LOL /\

His girlfriend lived in Elmers End. I heard he twisted the chassis and then stopped using it?

mr1958cadillac
24-11-08, 02:30 PM
That's the one I used to see, I did refer to it earlier in this thread, but I think I got the name all wrong.

His girlfriend lived in Elmers End. I heard he twisted the chassis and then stopped using it?

The same road that car ( Mr Twister ) was parked in for many years, was also home to a 57 Chevy and a 57 Buick several years earlier, just a few doors down... the Buick got broken up and the chevy was sold ( I once walked there as a wee boy just to see them, all the way from Bromley )

Klunk
24-11-08, 02:58 PM
Who had the house by the junction of Hayes Lane and Masons Hill just before the width restrictors.

Always had at least one or two big Yank Land Yachts in the garage.

Used to put one hell of a Chrimbo light display on every Xmas.

mr1958cadillac
24-11-08, 03:15 PM
I bought 56 MK2 Consul High Line from a guy called Mick in Hither green, he had something to do with " Orgal's " in Ennersdale Rd, it sat up for years in Hither Green before I got it.

I also bought a 59 MK 2 Consul Low Line with canadian side trim ( Rare ) from a guy on the Downham estate.

A purple sit up an beg pop with a 2ltr in it was sat up for years in a garden on Bellingham Hill Road, it had etching done on the windows... I remember that much

A 49 Chevy fastback and another early yank was parked in Manor Road at Hither Green for ages

Keith Schooling had a 58 Buick Roadmaster 75, which got smashed in chinbrook late 80's

Richard ( school teacher ) had a 59 Dodge Custom Royal in Chinbrook too, He still has it but now lives away from the area

bruce had a 57 Chevy in Chinbrook ( Corner of Marvels Lane )

Same road also had a Humber in it that was part covered with a sheet... It had a V8 in it and an ally moon tank in the grille... Car was blue with stickers on it

A 58 Cadillac coupe ( Green ) was also parked in Dunkery Rd, Chinbrook for a while, several years before I got one

John ( The postman ) in Downham had a 32 5 window ( Matt black with 351w ), lived opposite Martin Grossmith who had a V8 MK 1 Zephyr and later bought a 30 " A " Roadster ( Still got that ), now lives in Hayes

Custom Car's old 1951 Mercury was in Shortlands, just behind the station

A 71 Buick Riviera boat tail was just off Bromley Hill in a garden

a 55 Cadillac Coupe was in Foxgrove Road in Beckenham

Dave Thomson in bromley ( Masons Hill still has an 1958 Ford customline ) he has had it since the late eighties

Oaklands Road in Bromley was home to many yanks, owned by a guy called Alan too, a 53 Cadillac and a 64 Linclon sat around there for ages, he also had a red and white 62 corvette which is now in Majorca ( Spain )

mr1958cadillac
24-11-08, 03:17 PM
Who had the house by the junction of Hayes Lane and Masons Hill just before the width restrictors.

Always had at least one or two big Yank Land Yachts in the garage.

Used to put one hell of a Chrimbo light display on every Xmas.

He is still there, he is something to do with the shop " The Dripping Tap " on the corner of Masons Hill and Homesdale Road, guys name is Alan I think, dont know if he still has the pink 59 Cadillac 4 door, but he had a wicked 59 Corvette in the garden the other day...:)

mr1958cadillac
24-11-08, 03:23 PM
I think it is pretty safe to say that south London was and still is awash with wicked cars....

I remember loads coming and going throughout the years.....:)

Fatguyz
24-11-08, 03:37 PM
He is still there, he is something to do with the shop " The Dripping Tap " on the corner of Masons Hill and Homesdale Road, guys name is Alan I think, dont know if he still has the pink 59 Cadillac 4 door, but he had a wicked 59 Corvette in the garden the other day...:)

i went to school opposite that shop (well just round corner in Masons Hill).............we are now noving towards Hayes, Orpington, Croydon, Sanderstead..............amazing how many cars were just round the corner from me as kid and i never knew half of them

FG

AL
24-11-08, 03:52 PM
bruce had a 57 Chevy in Chinbrook ( Corner of Marvels Lane )

Same road also had a Humber in it that was part covered with a sheet... It had a V8 in it and an ally moon tank in the grille... Car was blue with stickers on it

Was the '57 black with 5 spokes? It never seemed to go anywhere.

The Humber was an old Super Gas car that was on the cover of CC years ago.

mr1958cadillac
24-11-08, 03:56 PM
Was the '57 black with 5 spokes? It never seemed to go anywhere.

Yep, thats the one...... i heard it got smashed up ...? :mad:

et
24-11-08, 04:07 PM

he sold it and built a yellow pro street chevette, he worked in a bodyshop near the shandos pub in forest hill,
the frenzia ended up sitting in a front garden in ewell for years after minus the engine

alan

et
24-11-08, 04:10 PM
I saw Sam a Little while ago round Nick Arletts, possibly working for him,

Steve, Totally out of cars, Was running a pub recently,

Mick, still about, building a Husky and a pop for his Missus.

still in contact with mick (cant beliveve he is 50 next month)
havnt seen steve or sam for years

Klunk
24-11-08, 04:25 PM
he sold it and built a yellow pro street chevette,

That is probably the Chevette that I used to see also.

mr1958cadillac
24-11-08, 04:43 PM
That is probably the Chevette that I used to see also.

I remember a Chevette that wasted me in my 32 going through Lewisham one night, that was yellow and had 4 pipes coming out the back... wouldn't have said it was pro street, but it might of been the one...? :)

Mind you, it's NOT as good as the video I have of me having a blast with a Ferrari Testerosa on the way back from Brighton.... He certainly never wasted me thats for sure, though I don't think my bird was impressed sitting next to me at the time.... it was a white knuckle ride I must admit and my brother got it on camera from the start at the traffic lights.... Oh the good old days :D

Klunk
24-11-08, 04:57 PM
If we are spreading out in the Croydon direction, mate of mine Paul (Dinsdale Piranha on here) had a Red Ford Pop, Viva Front Jag rear etc etc. He lived in Coulsdon at the time. This would have been about 1991 onwards.

58 delray
24-11-08, 05:42 PM
don't forget steve bradshaw and his mk1 pro street cortina,
saw mad mick in the summer and he came down to new romney last year for mine and tracey's wedding, trying to get him down for the band thats playing in greatstone on dec 5th.
apart from si & spence i used to hang around with a guy called timm that had a couple of mk1 consuls and i had an A60 cambridge countryman that i bought of the twins brother (bright yellow with a big micky mouse on the bonnet) lol

ian.stewart
24-11-08, 06:54 PM
don't forget steve bradshaw and his mk1 pro street cortina,
saw mad mick in the summer and he came down to new romney last year for mine and tracey's wedding, trying to get him down for the band thats playing in greatstone on dec 5th.
apart from si & spence i used to hang around with a guy called timm that had a couple of mk1 consuls and i had an A60 cambridge countryman that i bought of the twins brother (bright yellow with a big micky mouse on the bonnet) lol

Steve is alive and well living in the Romney area for the last 5/6 years
PizzaVino, the owner, one of three brothers, had a 63 split window corvette, with a 427. and later had a Black 70s BBc Vette,
There also used to be a silver 70s vette parked in Shell road, that never seemed to move,
another car that facinated me was a faded red or red Primer early 50s Humber Hawk Estate, Ladywell end of Chudleigh road, Oh how I tried to buy that car, it just dissapeared one day, Ive never seen another one since!!

Dave Lowe
24-11-08, 07:06 PM

Ray Russels Capri, worked on that one to, it was built from a wreck with an engine fire, built in my garage, we all thought it was going to be slow and were all amazed it eventually run 11s!

Vince Tray used to come round my garage about once a week when he was planning the build on the RV8 capri, asking loads of "how do I do this?" questions, I could never get on with MY car!

escyestate
24-11-08, 07:44 PM
vince trays willy`s. sold it in seperate bits b4 he moved away from blackfen

Klunk
24-11-08, 10:40 PM
Dave, what engine was in that Capri? I ask as I used to come down the Dutch House and was taken out in a right shed of a Capri, it was running a Cosworth engine (before Cosworths were production cars!) It was the quickest car I had ever been in at the time. He did the old stick a fiver on the dash and then accelerate and if I could reach it I could have it. That car certainly threw you back into your seat! It would have been around 1990...

59Impala
24-11-08, 11:05 PM
I remember that A60, I wanted to buy it from Trev for some misguided reason! Think it was £50.

59Impala
24-11-08, 11:15 PM
More memories coming back

Bill Knight in Larrie Park Rd, Sydenham had a Mk 2 Zodiac lowerider ( True Blue ) plus several others including a 1970 Buick GS

In the same garden ( Shared flat ) was Henri Pilon's 54 Ford Crestaline ( two tone blue )

59 Ford 4 door and 59 / 60 Chevy on Crystal Palace Park Rd junction of Chaucer rd for ages

70 Mustang parked in the same road opposite side ( Not same person )

Sit up and beg Pop at the top of the road ( Might still be there )

Mk 2 Consul behind a wall just around the corner ( That's still there, been there years )

Same road had a 68 Chevy 4 door ( Blue, owned by an old black guy )

Two 57 oldsmobile's and a 68 Camaro in Sydenham Hill Road

51 Chevy Stepside in Dartmouth Road

http://www.timetraveldvds.co.uk/gallery/SLYFIELD%201988/thumbnails/slyfield_1988_040.jpg (http://www.timetraveldvds.co.uk/gallery/SLYFIELD%201988/target41.html)

Later ended up in " TJ's " diner in Epsom

A multi coloured metalflake 67 Camaro in Sydenham opposite Silverdale ( might still be there... ) was in a unit

Rob's " F " type victor ( Black & Flamed ) in Downham

Lowlife ( Matt black Chopped E Series Vauxhall ) in Hither Green

Orange " T Bucket " off Barring Rd ( Grove Pk )

34 Ford roadster ( All Original ) In Southover by the fields

67 dodge Coronet in Downham, same guy had a 65 Mustang

53 Mk1 Consul ( Flat Dash ) owned by Tim O Regan ) by the Garden Gate pub

49 Cadillac fastback & MK 2 Consul owned by Brian, by the Northwood pub ( Lee )

59 Cadillac coupe ( NOT MINE ) seen several times behind Catford police station

Paul Getty of Eltham ( Had loads of cars back in the day ) still has a 59 Chevy Coupe

58 Chevy Wagon and 58 Chevy Pick up ( Cut from a car or wagon ) in Middle park Road Eltham ( Paul's mate pete I think ) ( The 58 Chevy wagon was later bought by my brother and went to Sweden )

Ouch, the brain is hurting....:)
Spence, get me name right! Paul Getty was an oil billionaire, as opposed to me, Paul Gatty a penniless oik from Sarf East London. The 58 Chevy Wagon and the 58 Chev pickup were both mine as was yet another 58 which was a RHD Belair reg VXO9. The 58 wagon actually went to Finland and the 58 pickup (which was cut down from a Brookwood wagon) was sold to a guy who had it finished in bright yellow and very nice it looked too. Sadly he had an insurance job done on it and it got crushed after it was 'stolen'. I also had a 61 Impala coupe which I think you and Simon offered to clean if I would take you to the Chelsea cruise in it. Which I very kindly did.

ian.stewart
24-11-08, 11:16 PM
Dave, what engine was in that Capri? I ask as I used to come down the Dutch House and was taken out in a right shed of a Capri, it was running a Cosworth engine (before Cosworths were production cars!) It was the quickest car I had ever been in at the time. He did the old stick a fiver on the dash and then accelerate and if I could reach it I could have it. That car certainly threw you back into your seat! It would have been around 1990...

If it was Ray Russels capri, 350 olds with a shot of gas, and as Dave says, ran 11s, and that was a shed, complete with fiberglass bulkhead.

mr1958cadillac
25-11-08, 01:48 AM
Spence, get me name right! Paul Getty was an oil billionaire, as opposed to me, Paul Gatty a penniless oik from Sarf East London. The 58 Chevy Wagon and the 58 Chev pickup were both mine as was yet another 58 which was a RHD Belair reg VXO9. The 58 wagon actually went to Finland and the 58 pickup (which was cut down from a Brookwood wagon) was sold to a guy who had it finished in bright yellow and very nice it looked too. Sadly he had an insurance job done on it and it got crushed after it was 'stolen'. I also had a 61 Impala coupe which I think you and Simon offered to clean if I would take you to the Chelsea cruise in it. Which I very kindly did.

Sorry Paul, the old memory is NOT as good as it used to be... All that gas up it...LOL, I do remember cleaning your 61 Chevy when I was about 13, and your quite right it was for a trip to Chelsea cruise, As for the wagon that Big Brov Trev had...well it could have gone to either Sweden or Finland, I just took pot luck...either way it has departed from the great South London...:)

prostreet70gto
25-11-08, 02:24 AM
:DOne house in Bromley has been home to...
a 58 edsel
52 chevy lowrider
chopped 50 merc
55 plymouth
55 cadillac 4 door
lens old T bucket
55 olds rocket 88
many 63/4 chevys
56 chevy bel air sport coupe
57 chevy sport coupe
58 chevy wagon
63 chevy bel air wagon
64 chevy convertible
73 buick
late 70s olds omega
66 chevy
many 67 chevys
63 pontiac
68 chevy impala
66 pontiac le mans
68 chevy C10 stepside
71 chevy police car
58 cadillac coupe de ville
1932 ford Model B roadster
71 mach 1 mustang
73 dodge coronet
77 daytona corvette
62 corvette roadster
loads of old english stuff, pops, trucks, customs, v8 mk2s etc too many to mention
plus so many more i cant remember
and lets not forget the PRO STREET PONTIAC GTO CONVERTIBLE :D

Wonder who lives in a house like that???

mr1958cadillac
25-11-08, 02:53 AM
:D

You forgot loads of mine too...LOL

57 Cadillac
58 Cadillac convertible
59 Cadillac Coupe
47 Ford Deluxe coupe
36 Studebaker Woodie
55 Mercury Montclaire

Other family cars included

Actually two 64 Chevy convertibles over the years, and two 64 Chevy wagons

39 Lincoln Zephyr
37 Ford woodie
several 57 Chevys, not just one
52 Cadillac Coupe
60 Cadillac coupe
62 Cadillac coupe
70 mustang convertible ( killer burnouts )
54 Chevy coupe
57 Olds wagon
57 Olds convertible
63 T Bird
57 Studebaker
two 66 Pontiac Le Mans ( Not one )

The list goes on.... like he said :)

ian.stewart
25-11-08, 05:20 AM
sounds like the Sarf East London Massif is alive and well, but perhaps deposited accross the UK

58 delray
25-11-08, 09:29 AM
Steve is alive and well living in the Romney area for the last 5/6 years

we live almost opposite each other and even have the same post code, i lived in gillian st ladywell then the block of flats in catford above the petrol station ,then moved to bellingham where i met si and spencer then on to new romney,
andy

plumpcars
25-11-08, 10:13 AM
Spence, get me name right! Paul Getty was an oil billionaire, as opposed to me, Paul Gatty a penniless oik from Sarf East London. The 58 Chevy Wagon and the 58 Chev pickup were both mine as was yet another 58 which was a RHD Belair reg VXO9. The 58 wagon actually went to Finland and the 58 pickup (which was cut down from a Brookwood wagon) .

Paul forgive me if I've already asked this(My memory is going downhill fast!) but that wasn't the Yeoman that Maggie Devlin had in the Battersea garages was it? Often wondered what became of that one.

mr1958cadillac
25-11-08, 11:44 AM
wasn't the Yeoman that Maggie Devlin had in the Battersea garages? Often wondered what became of that one.

Plumpcars,
The yellow 58 Chevy Yeoman wagon that Paul had was bought by my older brother back in the eighties....and later sold to Finland...as Paul say's.... I personally dont remember it being in a battersea garage, I remember pulling it out of a garage in Eltham as a wee laddie....:)

plumpcars
25-11-08, 01:24 PM
Maggie's Yeoman was yellow and in the 'cave's at Battersea opposite Pete's garage until the late seventies.

cabby
25-11-08, 01:33 PM
a 58 edsel
52 chevy lowrider
chopped 50 merc
55 plymouth
55 cadillac 4 door
lens old T bucket
55 olds rocket 88
many 63/4 chevys
57 chevy sport coupe
58 chevy wagon
63 chevy bel air wagon
64 chevy convertible
73 buick
late 70s olds omega
66 chevy
many 67 chevys
63 pontiac
68 chevy impala
66 pontiac le mans
68 chevy C10 stepside
71 chevy police car
71 mach 1 mustang
73 dodge coronet
77 daytona corvette
62 corvette roadster
loads of old english stuff, pops, trucks, customs, v8 mk2s etc too many to mention

Someone with a blooming big drive :D

mr1958cadillac
25-11-08, 01:36 PM
Someone with a blooming big drive :D

Well you have seen my garage Tony....:)

Our Road was wall to wall yanks, many times over........Especially in summer months

cabby
25-11-08, 01:38 PM
Well you have seen my garage Tony....:)

Our Road was wall to wall yanks, many times over........Especially in summer months

You lucky bleeders ;)

ian.stewart
25-11-08, 02:01 PM
we live almost opposite each other and even have the same post code, i lived in gillian st ladywell then the block of flats in catford above the petrol station ,then moved to bellingham where i met si and spencer then on to new romney,
andy

Ahh Gillian St, bottom of Vicars Hill, I used to live up the Top of Vicars hill, Fossil Road, Probably got some old non car commom mates too,

58 delray
25-11-08, 02:21 PM
Ahh Gillian St, bottom of Vicars Hill, I used to live up the Top of Vicars hill, Fossil Road, Probably got some old non car commom mates too,

ian, i left there in 71 and moved to catford where i stayed till 77, then to bellingham until 86, i went to st marys primary school in ladywell untill 77 then catford boys for two yrs then sedgehill untill 82.
do you live in essex now?
coincidently luxury and power were based in gillian st and the 58 delray i now own was imported by them back in 90,
andy

ian.stewart
25-11-08, 02:33 PM
ian, i left there in 71 and moved to catford where i stayed till 77, then to bellingham until 86, i went to st marys primary school in ladywell untill 77 then catford boys for two yrs then sedgehill untill 82.
coincidently luxury and power were based in gillian st and the 58 delray i now own was imported by them back in 90,
andy
I was there untill 85, I went to Gordonbrock, then in 72 went to SE London Tech School in Deptford, so our paths probably never crossed.
I now live in Hertfordshire, not far from Langy, and even closer to where the Outlaws have their annual bash up at Bovi Airfield.

Fatguyz
25-11-08, 02:34 PM
andy

i wasnt allowed to go to Catford Boys LOL

..............talking about the Downham area........grey cells flickering into life................was there ever a regular meet at either the Downham Tavern or the Director/General Pub in the late 70s early 80s??????

FG

mr1958cadillac
25-11-08, 03:01 PM
i wasnt allowed to go to Catford Boys LOL

..............talking about the Downham area........grey cells flickering into life................was there ever a regular meet at either the Downham Tavern or the Director/General Pub in the late 70s early 80s??????

FG

Correct, the old " Governor General " pub ( Now a petrol garage ) had a little meet when I first moved in... it fissled out in the very early 80's around the same time as the pub shut

The Downham Tavern used to have a " Rock N Roll " night on a Sunday which was brilliant, always loads of cars parked in their car park, and surrounding streets.... that must have looked like a car meet if you was not aware...:)

59Impala
25-11-08, 08:18 PM
a 58 edsel
52 chevy lowrider
chopped 50 merc
55 plymouth
55 cadillac 4 door
lens old T bucket
55 olds rocket 88
many 63/4 chevys
57 chevy sport coupe
58 chevy wagon
63 chevy bel air wagon
64 chevy convertible
73 buick
late 70s olds omega
66 chevy
many 67 chevys
63 pontiac
68 chevy impala
66 pontiac le mans
68 chevy C10 stepside
71 chevy police car
71 mach 1 mustang
73 dodge coronet
77 daytona corvette
62 corvette roadster

Your parents.

MisteR Tee
25-11-08, 08:25 PM
Correct, the old " Governor General " pub ( Now a petrol garage ) had a little meet when I first moved in... it fissled out in the very early 80's around the same time as the pub shut

The Downham Tavern used to have a " Rock N Roll " night on a Sunday which was brilliant, always loads of cars parked in their car park, and surrounding streets.... that must have looked like a car meet if you was not aware...:)

Downham eh? I heard that was a rough neighbourhood!!!:eek:

59Impala
25-11-08, 08:27 PM
Paul forgive me if I've already asked this(My memory is going downhill fast!) but that wasn't the Yeoman that Maggie Devlin had in the Battersea garages was it? Often wondered what became of that one.
Steve, you are correct. I bought the wagon from Pete Devlin in about 1977 for £130. I sold the engine and box (6 pot manual) for £30 to a guy from Essex who wanted them for a 55 Chevy (I think). The wagon was indeed in the 'Bat Caves' in Battersea where many weird and wonderful vehicles lurked. The wagon was a two door Yeoman reg TBA45. Strange how wagons have become so fashionable these days yet I had plans for it over 30 years ago. I could have started a trend! I still have a pencil drawing done by a friend of it lowered with a tube grill, black 'n flamed paint, Lancer hubcaps and lake pipes. It's one of two cars that I wish I had never sold, the other being my 61 Impala coupe that I bought from Terry Bennett. The very car so lovingly cleaned by the Lowis twins so they could go to the Chelsae cruise!

mr1958cadillac
26-11-08, 01:27 AM
Downham eh? I heard that was a rough neighbourhood!!!:eek:

Your welcome to come to my house for a cup of tea maurice...... If you think your hard enough.......LOL

Anyway I live in the good bit... ( Used carefully ) :)

It's not all bad living in one of the hotest hot rodding post codes in Kent / London border......LMFAO

Some of the best cars in the country have been down my street....

prostreet70gto
26-11-08, 01:46 AM
And some still are !!

MisteR Tee
26-11-08, 01:52 AM
....Some of the best cars in the country have been down my street....

To be stripped for parts????:D

mr1958cadillac
26-11-08, 01:53 AM
To be stripped for parts????:D

Why do you think we are always coming to you for wheel nuts....? LOL

prostreet70gto
26-11-08, 01:56 AM
It's one of two cars that I wish I had never sold, the other being my 61 Impala coupe that I bought from Terry Bennett. The very car so lovingly cleaned by the Lowis twins so they could go to the Chelsae cruise!

Just for the record...it was only spencer that washed it. it wasnt fast enough for me to be out in...lol. i think i went with Milton in his "shaky" Chevelle or Simon in his chopped Merc (korzy). Funny how times change though...and how one family could sporn so many rodders, even if there are only two left flying the flag !!!

mr1958cadillac
26-11-08, 09:32 PM

http://inlinethumb12.webshots.com/42635/2678285440103327149S425x425Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2678285440103327149FGDHmR)

http://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/43244/2708795390103327149S425x425Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2708795390103327149TPgYph)

http://inlinethumb37.webshots.com/3428/2121613740103327149S425x425Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2121613740103327149ctvpuN)

What do you mean I am NOT working Mick...LOL, course I am :D

mr1958cadillac
26-11-08, 09:36 PM
Here is a picture of when I worked at Downham Autospares other branch, opposite the old Downham Tavern, on Downham Way ( 1988 )
Both my cars

Me and Simon ( Twin brother ) was on the same shift

http://inlinethumb57.webshots.com/44664/2007137850103327149S600x600Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2007137850103327149yeEKkz)

What do you mean I am NOT working again, course I am :D

mr1958cadillac
26-11-08, 09:44 PM
http://inlinethumb61.webshots.com/41788/2004188410103327149S600x600Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2004188410103327149woKLGU)

Taken just off Bromley Hill 1987/88

ken57
07-01-09, 10:53 PM
Hello Spencer. You mentioned a knackered 64 chevy in your post on 23-11 08. I took a picture of a 64 convertible on the south circular one Sunday morning. I think it was outside a car spares shop. Reg no BGU14B. Mikeyboy mentioned the black 32 5 window just off the south circular. I lived next door to him for a while. (The guy who owned the 32, not Mikeyboy) He said it was not for sale and that the engine came from a transit. When I lived on the ferrier estate. There was a 55 chevy parked in a carpark at the edge of the estate. I have a picture of this one.

my53anglia
07-01-09, 11:02 PM
http://inlinethumb61.webshots.com/41788/2004188410103327149S600x600Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2004188410103327149woKLGU)

Taken just off Bromley Hill 1987/88

The vehicle details for ALE 839H are:
Date of Liability 01 01 1990
Date of First Registration 12 11 1969
Year of Manufacture Not Available
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 1256CC
CO2 Emissions Not Available
Fuel Type Petrol
Export Marker Not Applicable
Vehicle Status Unlicensed Vehicle Colour WHITE
Vehicle Type Approval null

Does anybody know what engine was in the Austin???

mr1958cadillac
08-01-09, 01:41 AM
The vehicle details for ALE 839H are:
Date of Liability 01 01 1990
Date of First Registration 12 11 1969
Year of Manufacture Not Available
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 1256CC
CO2 Emissions Not Available
Fuel Type Petrol
Export Marker Not Applicable
Vehicle Status Unlicensed Vehicle Colour WHITE
Vehicle Type Approval null

Does anybody know what engine was in the Austin???

Yes it was built by me and my brother.... it was 1800 MGB manual

It run 28 second quarter miles at the pod, regular...:D

Fatguyz
08-01-09, 11:21 AM
Here is a picture of when I worked at Downham Autospares other branch, opposite the old Downham Tavern, on Downham Way ( 1988 )
Both my cars

http://inlinethumb57.webshots.com/44664/2007137850103327149S600x600Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2007137850103327149yeEKkz)

drove down downham way last weekend.......couldnt see an Autospares shop anymore and the "new" downham tavern:eek:....times change i suppose.

FG:cool:

fordson39
08-01-09, 07:51 PM
Both my cars

Spence, you never WORKED at Sebron, just turned up every now & then.

prostreet70gto
11-01-09, 03:26 AM
Spence, you never WORKED at Sebron, just turned up every now & then.

and he still does that where we work now too:mad: my fingers are bleeding and hes in the office with toast in his gob and tea in his hands, looking at porn or ebay:cool:

mr1958cadillac
11-01-09, 11:47 AM
and he still does that where we work now too:mad: my fingers are bleeding and hes in the office with toast in his gob and tea in his hands, looking at porn or ebay:cool:

Funny :)

MisteR Tee
11-01-09, 05:39 PM
I shall come & check him out tomorrow when I go to Mitcham Tyres!

Fatguyz
11-01-09, 05:43 PM
dont suppose we came any close to identifying the pop i was on about????......in between though there has been some great stories and stuff

MisteR Tee
11-01-09, 05:52 PM
dont suppose we came any close to identifying the pop i was on about????......in between though there has been some great stories and stuff

Oh yeah, what was the question again???:D

mr1958cadillac
11-01-09, 06:29 PM
I shall come & check him out tomorrow when I go to Mitcham Tyres!

The kettle is only a tea boy away....:D

Terry Howarth
11-01-09, 07:10 PM
My older brother had a 1956 buick 2 door pillarless, two tone green the roof was candy green. Painted by Ronnie Picardo also had flipper caps. Crashed one day killed the engine and box ended up scrapped i think lived in whitney path he crewed for Ronnie for years

prostreet70gto
12-01-09, 02:20 AM
My older brother had a 1956 buick 2 door pillarless, two tone green the roof was candy green. Painted by Ronnie Picardo also had flipper caps. Crashed one day killed the engine and box ended up scrapped i think lived in whitney path he crewed for Ronnie for years

i used to pull ron off the track in his matching wrecker with all the lights and sirens goin. 1989.......i can still hear him shouting now:cool:. funny bloke and great with a mouthful of gas and a match