PDA

View Full Version : Chopped London Bus...?

vince-305
13-12-08, 02:13 AM
What happen to the Chopped London Bus....?

This is an icon of British Rodding History, although not stricly a rod, it will never be forgotten, it was one of the funniest things I had ever seen at the shows.

A masterpiece

Update Me..........? :)

HotRodGang
13-12-08, 06:52 AM
Hmmmm, Was this bus from Sheffield? I think I remeber this turning up at the Enfield Pageant one year.
Oh my god all the bus enthusiasts saying what a shame,Ha Ha Ha, you could hear them crying all the way to the scrapyard every time a bus was trashed on tv or something like that.
Was it a Routmaster or an RT?
J

plumpcars
13-12-08, 08:32 AM
Good thread with update on the old forum. I've tried searching for it but no luck.....Maybe one for a mod?

WagonMan
13-12-08, 08:41 AM
Good thread with update on the old forum. I've tried searching for it but no luck.....Maybe one for a mod?

It's on this forum Steve.
http://www.nsra.org.uk/newforum/showthread.php?t=4110&highlight=routemaster

plumpcars
13-12-08, 08:53 AM
Whoops! :o:o It seemed so long ago...

GlennC
13-12-08, 10:39 AM
it lives in farnborough, i have seen it many times from the train parked behind a pub in cove didn't realise it was "that one" but rumour has it is Glenn

chevy2
13-12-08, 05:41 PM
one of our smoke city members, Nick Jones, took the bus through the blackwall tunnel,
just before he entered the tunnel a worker at the tunnel came out franticly waving his arms to stop thinking he'd rip the roof of like in the james bond film, little did he know it was 2ft lower than stock,
for the record it was an RM/routemaster,
and for the anoracks it was RM110, previously from Scotland.

jaymin
13-12-08, 09:35 PM
loved it, thats what rodding is about

mr1958cadillac
13-12-08, 10:10 PM
I remember it well, it was and probably still is a great part of the UK rodding scene, I remember competing against it in the driving games at the NSRA Hotrod Supernationals years ago, I took my car transporter complete with 54 Chevy Kustom loaded on the back up against it and lost Miserably.

The game was to drive in and out of a set of garages blindfolded, what a driver they must of had, superb

What ever happened to the driving games too....

What happened to any of the games...?

When you can be that creative and still get away with it, it makes you proud to be British, the same goes for the " Pro Street London Taxi ".

They may NOT be rod's, but they sure have the spirit engraved deep within, combining art and culture with a fun background.... Now that's Rodding.

prostreet70gto
14-12-08, 03:30 AM
I remember it well, it was and probably still is a great part of the UK rodding scene, I remember competing against it in the driving games at the NSRA Hotrod Supernationals years ago, I took my car transporter complete with 54 Chevy Kustom loaded on the back up against it and lost Miserably.

The game was to drive in and out of a set of garages blindfolded, what a driver they must of had, superb

When you can be that creative and still get away with it, it makes you proud to be British, the same goes for the " Pro Street London Taxi ".

They may NOT be rod's, but they sure have the spirit engraved deep within, combining art and culture with a fun background.... Now that's Rodding.

what did you get a book on philosophy for christmas? buses and taxi's. you sure. ok yeah they might be different and a chopped bus is mad to look at and a pro street taxi is different but none the less just a taxi. you will be collecting train numbers next.

a chopped mini is no more of a rod even if it was built in the 60s or one of them stupid transit based replica things that used to be everywhere a few years ago. they are novelty cars only. i for one would not want to go to a show and have to park next to a load of cabs and buses, i can do that in catford!!

296moon
14-12-08, 04:22 AM
"Its a pity people are not as nice as flowers!" " leave the beers Leave the beers" "Get On The Bus!".....

KoppaK
14-12-08, 10:37 AM
what did you get a book on philosophy for christmas? buses and taxi's. you sure. ok yeah they might be different and a chopped bus is mad to look at and a pro street taxi is different but none the less just a taxi. you will be collecting train numbers next.

a chopped mini is no more of a rod even if it was built in the 60s or one of them stupid transit based replica things that used to be everywhere a few years ago. they are novelty cars only. i for one would not want to go to a show and have to park next to a load of cabs and buses, i can do that in catford!!

And a Pro Street 70 GTO is a *******ised muscle car

prostreet70gto
14-12-08, 08:30 PM
each to there own

Klunk
14-12-08, 08:46 PM

Good old Health & Safety and insurance killed that one off!:rolleyes:

Hanger18
14-12-08, 09:45 PM

FFS here we go again. one of the reasons i love this site (NOT)
Dave:(

mikeyboy
14-12-08, 10:21 PM
I do believe that some double deckers were already chopped for some special routes to clear low bridges.

MisteR Tee
14-12-08, 11:26 PM
I do believe that some double deckers were already chopped for some special routes to clear low bridges.

Some were done "en route" as it were! Like the ones that came down South Norwood Hill & were supposed to turn right into South Norwood High Street, but occasionally were treated to an ad hoc roof chop by going straight on & under the railway bridge at the bottom!! I remember seeing one complete roof section on the road behind the new single-decker jammed under the bridge!

vince-305
14-12-08, 11:53 PM
Some were done "en route" as it were! Like the ones that came down South Norwood Hill & were supposed to turn right into South Norwood High Street, but occasionally were treated to an ad hoc roof chop by going straight on & under the railway bridge at the bottom!! I remember seeing one complete roof section on the road behind the new single-decker jammed under the bridge!

Yeah seen simular at the bottom of my road but cant find any pictures but living at the same place for 30 odd yrs it is a common acurance ;)

MisteR Tee
15-12-08, 12:07 AM
Not South Norwood, but you get the idea...

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/68393/1269096

splatered cat
15-12-08, 01:33 AM
I was driving the bus at the Victory Wheelers bash on Hayling Island one year and left it on the bus stand at the sea front. We came back to find a parking ticket. I appealed to this but it still went to court. After sending in a copy of the log book which read 'Routemaster Bus' under the vehicle description ( Manufacturer was London Transport) the ticket was revoked and now all the signs in that area say something like Havant county buses only, rather than buses only.

nealie
15-12-08, 09:53 AM
My mate from Aldershot know owns it along with some of his mates....they used it to go to the World Cup a couple of years ago.......think they're planning to do a euro-tour next year.....will get some photos

ian.stewart
15-12-08, 04:52 PM
If you want a working chopped bus, I think the number was the 108B, it was a RT, RTL or possibly a ST, designed to go thru the Rotherhithe tunnel, about 10 were modified with a radiusd roof on the passenger side and reinforced tirewalls, the idea being if it met another bus coming the other way the tires were used as a guide against the kerb, which would enable both busses to pass with about 2" clearance---Sorry Ill get my Anorac

dw123
15-12-08, 04:54 PM
...just found this...

http://www.aspects.net/~aelliott/picks/PIC00012.jpg

SJB
30-12-08, 12:42 PM
many years back some of the fairground people would sometimes have a bus(for a living van) and chop it,ive seen old pics where they chopped the top deck so much there was no windows left.Il get me anorak

kc
30-12-08, 09:49 PM
Some were done "en route" as it were! Like the ones that came down South Norwood Hill & were supposed to turn right into South Norwood High Street, but occasionally were treated to an ad hoc roof chop by going straight on & under the railway bridge at the bottom!! I remember seeing one complete roof section on the road behind the new single-decker jammed under the bridge! me to maurice, used to go to school at stanley tech, number of times i had to go past driver customised routemasters...

kc
30-12-08, 09:51 PM
If you want a working chopped bus, I think the number was the 108B, it was a RT, RTL or possibly a ST, designed to go thru the Rotherhithe tunnel, about 10 were modified with a radiusd roof on the passenger side and reinforced tirewalls, the idea being if it met another bus coming the other way the tires were used as a guide against the kerb, which would enable both busses to pass with about 2" clearance---Sorry Ill get my Anorac you sad git!