PDA

View Full Version : tie rods

wheelie
01-12-07, 07:51 PM
Hi all,

I have 1940 Ford spindles and need to fit some steering tie rods. Anyone know where to get said items or which modern day equivalents from the scrapyard have the same diameter tie rod ends?

Thanks, Wheelie

rem
01-12-07, 10:13 PM
Don't know if someone like US Automotive stock original parts like that? According to Mac's Auto Parts catalogue they are using the same part numbers for left and right hand ones for F1 and F100 from '48 up to '64.

#11A-3270 Tie rod, right @ $12.95
#11A-3271 Tie rod, left @ $12.95

It is a bit confusing listing different years with the same part numbers, but their website is the same, so I assume the same ones fit them all.

This assumes you mean you are using the F100 spindles as well as hubs, and have the tie rod?

wheelie
02-12-07, 12:06 PM
thanks Rem, I've learnt something new there so have changed my first post. I actually have 56 F100 hubs and 40 Ford spindles so need tie rods to fit these. I'm trying to find something from the scrapyard so was wondering if Transit tie rods fit for instance!

Google has been no help, and the local parts store won't help because it's not on their computer and I don't have a part number.

What's happenned to the old guys in shops who used to know everything when you wanted help.

Ta.

rem
02-12-07, 12:53 PM
OK, I thought that might be the case. I guess you are still building so don't have a tie/track rod yet? Transit or Land Rover ones may fit the tapers, but you will still have to get the right length tie rod - Transit ones have a metric fine thread I think, so that may cause problems as well. You should be able to get new early Ford tie rod ends from Duksville, Originals, or any of the other street rod suppliers, and you can also get tie rods to suit the width of axle you're using.

And I think "the old guys" would probably tell you to buy the correct new parts for steering! I know in the good old days I would get hubs and parts from the scrappy and clean up and mix and match to get the 'best' combination, but nowadays I don't think I would use tie rod ends from a worn out thrashed Transit!