PDA

View Full Version : Engine won't keep running at cold

smudge67er
06-12-07, 10:49 AM
Hi all,

It's been a while I know! But I've a quick question.

My anglia has a 1500gt engine, and it never stays running, unless I keep my foot on the pedal to warm the engine up.

It has no manual choke.

Smudge

WB54
06-12-07, 10:58 AM
check for vacuum leaks, broken down leads and check the idle mixture. Choke would certainly help in this weather.

kapri
06-12-07, 11:00 AM
The choke used on the DCD is not a strangler type air flap but rather a mixture enrichment type, have a close look an you'll find a tiny lever on the side that is the choke. Use it gently and sparingly , it can flood easily if too much is used.

All DCD fitted motors that I have had take a while to get to idle in winter with or without choke.

smudge67er
06-12-07, 11:09 AM
I'm going to buy new leads, etc, and see if it makes a difference, and look at giving the engine a once over.

I'll have a look for the choke, and see how it goes.

I'm not great with engines, so I've no idea about checking the idle mixture.

My engine took a while to get to idle in summer too :(

plumpcars
06-12-07, 02:07 PM
Check for air leaks....you can spray Plus Gas over the relevant areas with the engine running to see if it affects things. Make sure that you have the support brace fitted which holds the carb/manifold up or else they tend to vibrate loose and leak/fall off. As others said go through the basics and then try connecting the choke. I always found that 1500GT's needed a little to run whilst cold.

Brizey
06-12-07, 04:04 PM
My engine took a while to get to idle in summer too :(

It sounds like it needs a few tuning tweeks. Maybe a 1/4 turn richer on the idle mixture screw or bump the distributor advance a couple of degrees, then readjust the idle speed...