PDA

View Full Version : How low can I go ???

h0tr0dder_uk
19-12-07, 03:46 PM
I have just been working out the ground clearance for my car and reckon that if I use the 3" exhaust pipes that I have I will have approx 3-3.5" or ground clearance. This doesn't seem like much really, but I don't want to raise the ride height.

Anyone running a car this low?
Any problems?
Any other ideas to gain a bit more clearance (maybe use two 2" pipes instead of one 3" pipe?

Paul
19-12-07, 05:42 PM
cant' really see a problem as long as your carefull .....

redoxide
19-12-07, 06:20 PM
use 2 inch pipe and drop it another inch:)

Jonny69
19-12-07, 06:31 PM
My Anglia is that low where the pipe kicks under the front crossmember. It's very very slightly behind the wheels and I only found it a problem once when I beached myself on one of those rubber speedbumps. Had to get my passengers to get out so I could get the car off it :)

h0tr0dder_uk
19-12-07, 06:55 PM
use 2 inch pipe and drop it another inch:)

I would, but the problem is that I'm running a blown ZZ502 motor and don't intend to use header plates so will need a 3" pipe to get rid if the gases.

langysrodshop
19-12-07, 07:35 PM
My T Bucket only has 2" clearance in places, Never been a problem

http://usera.imagecave.com/stevelangylang/NSRA/PICT4394.jpg

40Stude
20-12-07, 11:15 AM
I'd say it's more important exactly where the low spots are. On Langy's T the low point of the grille shell is arguably less of an issue, as it will rise with the wheels for things like speed bumps, if the low spot on yours is mid way between the front and rear end it could be more of a problem, the longer the wheelbase the more the problem is compounded.

rem
20-12-07, 11:34 AM
I agree with Alan, that it depends where the low points are. Years ago my Pop had about 3" clearance on the silencers, mid-way along the car. It used to scrape on some driveways and entrances, but by and large I got around.

However, nowadays with speed bumps everywhere, and particularly those big lumps they put there to rip off your sump, it would be more of a problem. You wouldn't get in or out of some villages around here!

rem
20-12-07, 11:36 AM
BTW, you can buy (or make) oval section tube for your exhaust. They're often advertised in Street Rodder I think.

Captain Scarlet
20-12-07, 11:43 AM
Be sure not to forget the scrub line if you are going less than around 3 inch clearance,incase you have a tyre deflate,it depends on the sidewall hieght of you tyres

rodbuilder
20-12-07, 11:51 AM
I recon 4.5" is the minimum for 99% problem free. I would suggest if you can drive within 5 miles radius of your house at your prefered ride height then go for it.

Volkenstein
20-12-07, 12:47 PM
can go this low?:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a51/UnmuffledRyan/draggin6ar.jpg

im sure its not an mot fail either..... :eek:

langysrodshop
20-12-07, 06:36 PM
The single bumps can be a problem Alan :-(

I'd say it's more important exactly where the low spots are. On Langy's T the low point of the grille shell is arguably less of an issue, as it will rise with the wheels for things like speed bumps, if the low spot on yours is mid way between the front and rear end it could be more of a problem, the longer the wheelbase the more the problem is compounded.

h0tr0dder_uk
20-12-07, 06:42 PM
It looks like it would be about 3 - 3.5" clearance front to back. its the middle that i'm worried about as my drive has quite a peak in it.

40Stude
20-12-07, 08:51 PM
It looks like it would be about 3 - 3.5" clearance front to back. its the middle that i'm worried about as my drive has quite a peak in it.

If your drive is anything like mine then I'd suggest foregoing trial and error. Using my drive as an example, from the road the pavement rises, then the drive descends, maybe just over a foot or so over a full car length. My daily is an Alfa 156 wagon and pulling onto the drive, when the car straddles the 'peak' the ground clearance under the sills drops to around 1.5", pull on too quick and the front end bottoms out!

Try you drive with your daily, then do the maths.

gettinonabitmore
20-12-07, 11:36 PM
can go this low?:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a51/UnmuffledRyan/draggin6ar.jpg

im sure its not an mot fail either..... :eek:

Probably best to raise that a bit, or the torsion bars might fall out...!!!!!

:eek:

h0tr0dder_uk
21-12-07, 04:31 PM
My daily vectra clears the peak on the drive, but my missus focus scrapes and my a series manta won't go on at all. looks like i'll have to measure em all to get an idea of what i need. I have thought about moving to a house with a flat drive instead lol

40Stude
21-12-07, 04:58 PM
Moving house is all well and good but think about all those gas stations with similar entrance/exit ramps! :(

gotzy
22-12-07, 12:36 PM
BTW, you can buy (or make) oval section tube for your exhaust. They're often advertised in Street Rodder I think.

Dr Gas is who your thinking of and a good way of getting clearance - http://www.drgas.com/store/home.php?cat=8

h0tr0dder_uk
28-12-07, 02:48 PM
Has anyone tried the supertrapp disc only silencers?? If so how much do they quiten the engine by? I could probably fit these by building the header to come out of the front wing and remove the discs when i want to go racing.