PDA

View Full Version : Engine Painting

A40VAN
30-12-07, 07:14 PM
I have just cleaned my engine and gearbox up to spray them the same colour as the body. My questions are;
1) Can you use body filler on an engine or does the heat affect it?

2) Do you have to use VHT primer or will ordinary etch primer and primer be alright?

(the engine runs at 180-200)

Cheers

Dave

langysrodshop
30-12-07, 07:37 PM
2 coats of Epoxy primer then wait 45mins and straight on with the 2 pack colour. It will last a lifetime.

Why do you want to put filler on it ???

Adam
30-12-07, 07:48 PM
I'd imagine to smooth it out and filler is a quicker alternative than 2 days with a die grinder?

langysrodshop
30-12-07, 08:03 PM
Very true but won't last as long.

I'd imagine to smooth it out and filler is a quicker alternative than 2 days with a die grinder?

A40VAN
30-12-07, 08:45 PM
I've spent over 60 hours smoothing it out so far but in places there are casting pits that grow when working on them and I want to fill these unless anyone has another suggestion.

I want the engine to be of the same quality as the paint on the outside of the van. (my wife says I'm anal!)

Langy, from your second reply does that mean the filler will come off at temperature?

cossie pop
30-12-07, 10:06 PM
How about using JB WELD if you only got small areas to fill
ADRIAN

langysrodshop
31-12-07, 11:27 AM
Dave i've only tried filler on a block once and it cracked so dedn't try again, I sand as smooth as i can get it and then epoxy prime and then if i have any pitted area's i just use a bit of 2 pack hi build which covers it up.

I've spent over 60 hours smoothing it out so far but in places there are casting pits that grow when working on them and I want to fill these unless anyone has another suggestion.

I want the engine to be of the same quality as the paint on the outside of the van. (my wife says I'm anal!)

Langy, from your second reply does that mean the filler will come off at temperature?

redvictor
31-12-07, 12:27 PM
you'd be really unlucky if someone came and said "look at the pitting on that engine block"
Maybe if you ran someone over and they glanced at the block as their head came rolling off?
Just paint it......lol

A40VAN
01-01-08, 08:17 PM
Adrian I looked j b weld up on the web and that looks good
Steve thanks for the input
Andy Not unlucky I plan to do the american i.s.c.a. indoor show circuit and these judges look for everything
Thanks for the input everybody
Any more ideas ?
Dave

langysrodshop
03-01-08, 10:59 AM
Dave this maybe of help to you http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=226157