PDA

View Full Version : are dampers needed?

wheelie
31-12-07, 01:54 PM
Hi all,

The previous builder of my 34 Ford did not make any provision (bracket-wise) for front dampers. It's currently a drop tube with leaf springs. I assume dampers are needed to stop bouncing, is that correct?

Thanks Wheelie

kapri
31-12-07, 02:01 PM
Hell YES!!

Adam
31-12-07, 02:30 PM
This is not a condesending post at all. The link to how stuff works is good in that it gives a basic run down on well, how stuff works. I hope you bought a project and the PO just hadn't fitted any provisions for shocks.... yet!

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-suspension2.htm

Hot Rods
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-suspension8.htm

langysrodshop
31-12-07, 02:37 PM
I see this sort of stuff more & more, It amazes me that people build such dangerous cars with such little knowledge of how it should be.

Get some fitted before you have the accident that is waiting to happen !!!

wheelie
31-12-07, 03:41 PM
Cheers guys,

I think the previous owner was quite clueless, but then again so am I at the moment!!

Adam
31-12-07, 04:36 PM
Cheers guys,

I think the previous owner was quite clueless, but then again so am I at the moment!!

But by asking your learning. At least you have the sense to ask and not blindly omit to fit parts to the car. Best check he has run brake lines!!

Roland CAD 500
31-12-07, 05:09 PM
Adam Seconded.

Never hurts to ask.

Hurts not to ask or it could do.

langysrodshop
31-12-07, 08:18 PM
Ady in my opinion it wouldn't hurt to get the car looked over by someone that know's what they are looking at ASAP.

Cheers guys,

poprodder
01-01-08, 11:21 AM
sounds like the shocks could be tip of the iceberg.
did you get anyone to look at it before you bought it?
chris.

Adam
01-01-08, 02:12 PM
Did the P/O actually drive it on the street with no shocks? !!!!!!!

wheelie
01-01-08, 02:20 PM
It was an Ebay special!!! The previous previous owner looked like he knew what he was doing, but the previous one didn't if that makes sense.

But don't worry when I say i'm clueless, perhaps that was too self critical.

I've spent years n years stripping and rebuilding various old Veedubs, this one was my pinnacle (I assume I will now be open to abuse)

But the actual practice of which part fits what other part when custom building is where I'm struggling, such as what radiator fits in a 34 Ford cowl. Langy (I think) helped here and the Jag rad did fit. So you guys are a great help and I don't feel too stupid asking what may appear to be dumb questions. I thought I knew the damper question answer but wanted to double check just in case there was something I wasn't aware of.

So thanks and keep up the good advice.

Ady.

Adam
01-01-08, 03:05 PM
Ady, thats a sweet bug, not my cup of tea but I could maybe see one of the kids in something like that to keep em away from jelly mould newer cars. There abuse over ;-))))

It's been said before that there is no such thing as a dumb question and if your not sure thats 100% true. There are only dumb / bull sheet googled / sarcastic and rude answers that don't belong here so just ask away. Better to be 100% correct than 1% wrong.