PDA

View Full Version : New iMac

Rossphotos
25-12-11, 09:24 PM
A few months ago my PC went into terminal meltdown and after many fruitless attempts to revive it I have been forced to give up and buy a new iMac. Because of the PC problems I was unable to continue with my build-up thread, and although the new Mac is brilliant I now find that I cannot transfer images from Photobucket to the NSRA forum thread as I had been doing quite successfully, having both sites open at the same time on my computer.
Is there any way I can lift images directly from the iMac, or is there a way of getting around the problem?

Thanks for any advice.

BigBossMan
25-12-11, 09:51 PM
test..

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e373/HollerinBigBoss/IMG_2638-1.jpg

works for me..just create another browser tab, go to PhotoBucket, hover over the pic you want to post and you'll see the code options, click on the image code (it will say 'copied') then open the NSRA tab and (cmd+v) to paste into whatever thread you're replying to.

Rossphotos
26-12-11, 01:00 PM
Thanks for your advice BBM, but being useless on the computer I don't have a Scooby how to open another Browser tab, whatever that is! I've tried to find out using the "help" key but just keep ending up in blind alleys. Can you possibly enlighten me?

poprodder
26-12-11, 02:43 PM
use the nsra image hosting?

BigBossMan
26-12-11, 03:48 PM
Thanks for your advice BBM, but being useless on the computer I don't have a Scooby how to open another Browser tab, whatever that is! I've tried to find out using the "help" key but just keep ending up in blind alleys. Can you possibly enlighten me?

I'm using Firefox browser (just in case there's a difference between the others).....To create a new tab press the + next to the NSRA tab you have at the moment at the top..or go File - new tab, on the top bar (where help etc is)

Once you have a new blank tab go to the Photobucket website and log in.
Find the picture you want to paste into the NSRA site and hover your mouse cursor over the thumbnail of that pic.
It should give several options of code, as said before, click the link code box next to (right of) IMG CODE, it will then state 'copied'.....

now click on you NSRA tab to go to this site and then reply to this thread (for example), then press your cmd + v keys to paste.

The beauty of having two tabs open is you just flick between them as they are already active/open.

Sorry if I make it sound difficult, it really isn't....good luck :D

ps, Ross I'll pm you my home number, if you get stuck, just give me a call and we'll go through it together.

Rossphotos
26-12-11, 06:05 PM
Thanks BBM. Opening a new tab is really easy when you know how! Now I have both NSRA forum and Photobucket tabs open and can switch between them. So far so good. The next part - selecting the IMG code etc on the Photobucket site was exactly what I had been doing when I was using the PC, but it doesn't work now. I'm wondering if there is a another method for the Mac, as it seems to do everything a little bit different to a PC.

BigBossMan
26-12-11, 06:33 PM
Ross you can share an 'Album' via the Direct Link code in P'bucket (on the right hand side)
but to get to the IMG code of a single photo you first need to open the Album first then hover over the thumbnail of the picture.
This 'should' within a second expand a small window with the code options, the IMG code is at the bottom of the expanded window.

Oh and enjoy your iMac, there'll be no looking back once you get the hang of it :)

Rossphotos
26-12-11, 10:59 PM
That's pretty much what I have been doing. When I hover the cursor over the thumbnail nothing happens, when I click on the IMG link it turns blue but does nothing else, even when trying the ctrl+v all I get is the letter v. I have tried clicking on the thumbnail for a bigger image which has a link panel on the right. Nothing works with that either.

I might well take up your generous offer of assistance Ian, but I have sent a message to Photobucket so I'll give them a day or so to see if they can come up with an answer

Ross

Rossphotos
26-12-11, 11:13 PM
use the nsra image hosting?

Thanks for the suggestion. Is that what you use on your Superminx build thread? It might be worth a go if I can't get the Photoshop link to work.

By the way I find your build thread very interesting as I passed my driving test in a Minx and in the mid 80s I saved a Superminx from being scrapped, patched it up and ran it for two years. It never missed a beat and was fun to drive.
Old Spice brings back memories as well. I used it when going on dates when I was about 17 and thought it would be a good idea to use lots and lots of it!

BigBossMan
27-12-11, 11:36 AM
That's pretty much what I have been doing. When I hover the cursor over the thumbnail nothing happens, when I click on the IMG link it turns blue but does nothing else, even when trying the ctrl+v all I get is the letter v. I have tried clicking on the thumbnail for a bigger image which has a link panel on the right. Nothing works with that either.

I might well take up your generous offer of assistance Ian, but I have sent a message to Photobucket so I'll give them a day or so to see if they can come up with an answer

Ross

Hi Ross,
It would be Ctrl + v on a windows pc, but on a mac the cmd key (either side of the spacebar) is the equivalent that you have to get used to using generally as an 'action' key.

Your problems might be due to your Photobucket settings mate, have a look at mine and see if yours are different .....

First go to your Photobucket album, open a picture and check your settings...

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e373/HollerinBigBoss/Uploading%20to%20the%20NSRA/Screenshot2011-12-27at094057.png

Settings link here....

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e373/HollerinBigBoss/Uploading%20to%20the%20NSRA/Photobucket-Settings-Link.jpg

open settings and see if they are right for you, this is my options....

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e373/HollerinBigBoss/Uploading%20to%20the%20NSRA/Settings-Explore-.jpg

Sorry about the poor quality screenshots but I think you get the idea ;)

crozch
01-01-12, 01:52 AM
i have a mac book pro and not had any problems, i just copy the code out of facebook, (usually a few times as i forget which code is needed to post the photo straight to the thread) and paste and has always worked for me, had my mac a year or so now so not brand new but shouldnt really be a huge amount of difference?!

charlie

Rossphotos
05-01-12, 10:11 PM
Thanks guys for all the advice. I discovered, mostly by accident, that a picture I had uploaded to Photobucket from the iMac could be copied and pasted to the forum without any problem. So I simply deleted all the images that I had uploaded to Photobucket from the PC, re-sent them again, this time from the iMac, and everything is back to normal again!

Hot Rod Widow
05-01-12, 10:37 PM
I know nothing about Mac but is an IMac the same as an Mac laptop, Lisa has one and is a wiz on it but one thing she cant work out is how to print colour on our old printer, do we just assume it compatable, Ross hope you didnt mind me hijacking your thread but if you need any further help I am sure she will be able to help.

Rossphotos
09-01-12, 03:42 PM
I know nothing about Mac but is an IMac the same as an Mac laptop, Lisa has one and is a wiz on it but one thing she cant work out is how to print colour on our old printer, do we just assume it compatable, Ross hope you didnt mind me hijacking your thread but if you need any further help I am sure she will be able to help.

Hi Jane, The iMac is a desk top computer while the Mac laptop is portable. I think that is the only real difference as they use the same software. I can print colour okay but I have had PC/iMac compatability issues as you will have seen from this thread. Thanks for the offer of assistance though, I may take you up on it in the future

Ross

Hot Rod Widow
09-01-12, 06:24 PM
Hi Jane, The iMac is a desk top computer while the Mac laptop is portable. I think that is the only real difference as they use the same software. I can print colour okay but I have had PC/iMac compatability issues as you will have seen from this thread. Thanks for the offer of assistance though, I may take you up on it in the future

Ross

Thanks for replying and you are welcome