PDA

View Full Version : Tyre size please?

The Candy Man
26-07-12, 01:43 PM
I've got a bit of a thing at the moment with tyre size on the front of my car. It drives ok and doesn't do anything it shouldn't do, but, just to make me feel a bit more confident when I drive it I want to put a bigger tyre on. It's purely personal, it's perhaps ok with what it's got, but I just want to feel a bit more relaxed that's all when out in it. I'm running a 4 1/2" x 15" Fenton with a 155/80 radial and inner tubes, I wanted something a bit wider, taller and holds more pressure than what it's got now. I've been looking at commercial van tyres that seem a bit more heavy duty, but then I came across this...
http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af283/TheCandyMan1/nostalgia_nats_2010_042.jpg

Does anyone know what make and size they are or can ask Ken and let me know please?
Many thanks,
Micky T.

Note... See what I mean when you read my other thread about making sure everything is correct and safe, it's just me, sometimes I get a bit paranoid!

chevy2
26-07-12, 03:12 PM
They look like mickey thompson sportsman fronts,
Probably 26" x 7.50.
Bear in mind they're a bias belted/crossply tyre.

The Candy Man
26-07-12, 03:18 PM
Oh, ok, well there out then as I definitly want a radial on the front, they looked like radials. I've got it driving real nice at the moment and don't want to spoil it, I know some run crossplies etc but I've tried 'em and they don't suit my car.

Thanks,
Micky T.

langysrodshop
26-07-12, 09:03 PM
Mickey, if those tyres you have on the front are tubeless you definitely shouldn't have tubes in them, now that's dangerous.
Tubed tyres are smooth inside, tubeless are rough and will chafe the tube.

The Candy Man
26-07-12, 09:49 PM
Thanks for your concern mate, but they're ok to run tubes in..... I think!? Sure they are, you've got me going now....... I'm off in the garage to check, can't settle till I know but I'm sure it's ok.

Micky T.

SG57
26-07-12, 11:36 PM
It's the small rubber stickers inside the tubeless tyre (usually one or two) indentifying the emloyee that built the tyre or information for the tyre company that cause punctures in the tubes. It was always a problem with off roaders putting tubes in so that they could run very low pressures and Vintage Racers with wire wheels. They can be removed with Buffsol or some similar solvent.

Rog.

kapri
27-07-12, 09:29 AM
I had a front tyre deflate at speed that was traced to the price sticker being left on the tube ! Not fun :(

rem
27-07-12, 01:42 PM
I like the old Avon Turbospeed 670H15 - crossplies that handle! As used on old Astons, etc., they'd look perfect on the front on the '57 (Green Onions has them on the front). Reassuringly expensive at £159 + VAT from Longstone.

mygasser
28-07-12, 12:14 AM
Mickey, if those tyres you have on the front are tubeless you definitely shouldn't have tubes in them, now that's dangerous.
Tubed tyres are smooth inside, tubeless are rough and will chafe the tube.

they'll also run hotter with tubes in.
ps i ran firestone f560's in a 165 x 15 on my big block fairlane which always felt 'confident' on the road.

The Candy Man
16-08-12, 06:54 PM
Just to update in case anyone else comes up with the same problem and end the topic really, I've now fitted a pair of 185 x 15 Toyo radials on the 4 1/2" Fentons and very happy with them. The 'confidence' thing is there now, it handles a lot better and with them being a commercial tyre they handle the load ok now and don't look to bad either. I'm quite looking forward to the long haul now to the HRD's!

Thanks for advice etc,
Micky T.

john56
16-08-12, 09:03 PM
They arrived ok then,

The Candy Man
17-08-12, 05:51 PM
They arrived ok then,

They did mate yes, sorry for not getting back to you earlier, I've been up to my neck with work and one thing or another, but many thanks for helping me out.

All the very best,
Micky T.

CheckeredDemon
23-08-12, 01:10 PM
I run these Toyos on the front of the Checkered Demon (From Northants Tyres) and they are truly excellent for street use; I am amazed at the level of grip.