PDA

View Full Version : rear axle info

redoxide
07-11-07, 07:38 PM
Chaps and Chapesses, today i was servicing the rear axle in the pickup. new brakes bearings etc..

anyways the rear bearings were right noisy and grunbly particularly on one side so I just decided to do both for good measure.

Having stripped the shafts out I find to my horror that the bearing in this type of rear end (8.8 ford) is a pretty cheap affair.

The bering is a roller type rthat is fitted in the casing, the rolloers then run on a hardened part of the half shaft.

Unfortunately the halfshaft bearing face is marked with the ususal pocks and kinda defeats the purpose of fitting new bearings...

The question is do the shafts have to be replaced, or is there some repair ring that can be used?? seems an expensive fix for something that is a service item!

If the shafts are cheap enough I would consider it, if not i will shelve the bearings for the time being and save for shafts in the future.. Unless someone has a secret stash for cheep...

ALSO whist reading up on these rear ends It would appear that the usual Volvo rear ends were infact 8.8s suplied by Ford... since most of the available Ford ones are the 2.7 ish ratio would it be a viable proposition to use a set of volvo gears to up things numerically, or would it just be cheeper to buy new "Ford" gears ...

Buying new runs the risk of buying chinese garbage, whereas the volvo ones are guaranteed manufacturers quality..

anyone any opinions on any of the above ?

ross@rmrrestorations
07-11-07, 07:47 PM
What did you decide the back axle was Ian?
I still have that late 8"(maybe an 8.8, need to check)

redoxide
07-11-07, 07:52 PM
The back axle is from the lincoln donor car and is definately an 8.8 thats what I ordered the parts for and they all look like they will fit ..

I was thinking that if there was a bearing replacement I could press that onto the shaft as per the usual 9 inch method then stuff that lot into the casing.. That would provide a fix for the rough track on the axle shaft bearing surface.

Does any one know if there is a replacement bearing as described above that woulh fit ?

Roland CAD 500
08-11-07, 11:35 PM
Red
Cant you measure the shafts and bearings. Take to local supplier of said bearings.
Get some new ones, even if shafts need a little machining, at least it would all be new then.

kapri
08-11-07, 11:47 PM
Red, I thought the Volvo shared parentage with the Jag solid rear ?

jsf55
09-11-07, 12:46 AM
I know Lawrence had a shaft sent in from summit to replace a bent one on the camero, after less than 500 miles it was knackered, it hadn't been hardened, i'm thinking that if any machining is done on the shaft ur going to loose the hardened surface and be no better off in a couple of hundred miles, if it's a stock width axle see if u can get some replacements they'll probably be quite cheap !

redoxide
09-11-07, 08:26 AM
Kev, It says on this F100 /4x4 truxck type forum that does a specificthing on the 8.8 that the volvo rear diff is an 8,8 and a redy suply of low ratio gears.. then mentions how volvo is now owned by ford..

Will have a neasure up and see id I can locate a standard type rear wheel bearing that will fit instead of the open type as fitted ... just hoped that someone may have done it before and got some part nos..