PDA

View Full Version : have any of you lovely fellow pop people....

chop-n-pop
06-05-08, 09:58 PM
Okay, i know ill get moaned at for this for thinking ahead too much... but oh well..
my dad decided that we are to ditch this engine and get a new one...
so.... have any of you got a running 1172 10 hp side valve..?
haven't got the worlds supply of money so im looking for one thats dirt cheap...
can any one help me? im not in need of it straight away..
thanks to all in advance...

-Liam

ps: i will get something done eventually... promise =P
ive decided its going to be luminous green... just 'cause i can :D lol. but that might change...

Morris460
06-05-08, 10:11 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ford-popular-100e-complete-engine-for-sale_W0QQitemZ110248763125QQcmdZViewItem

Nothing to do with me, just happened to spot it. Not long to go.

chop-n-pop
06-05-08, 10:18 PM
Cheers mate... seems someone is very interested in it..but will keep an eye on it..:)

chop-n-pop
08-05-08, 06:00 PM
okay, was too late for that one, and to be honest, it was a little pricey for me...
i know im asking alot... but you'll never know if you never ask :)
still on the lookout for a 103e engine.
anyone got anything..?

Jonny69
08-05-08, 06:37 PM
I looked for ages and never found one. Just to warn you I've been told by a lot of people not to spend a lot of money on them because they die suddenly and with no notice. That means a 'good runner' will suddenly go up in a ball of smoke. They have a maximum life of about 50,000 miles before they need a rebore or new rings and the white metal bottom end will be worn completely. Visual inspection on mine said it was all fine when I built it but 5000 miles later it just let go in a ball of smoke.

If you see a motor for like £250 be damn sure you can strip it down, inspect the bottom end, the bores and the state of the rings. Otherwise walk away and get your own one re-done for a bit more and you'll have peace of mind because it may just as well be junk. They aren't cheap to rebuild properly because the white metalling is expensive and the price of new pistons will scare you but at least you'll know it's been done.

100E engines are slightly less to build especially if you can find one that has already been shelled. If that £250 one was what it said it was then that was a bargain.

49anglia
08-05-08, 11:23 PM
Cant you convert 10hp engines to use big end shells?

chop-n-pop
08-05-08, 11:38 PM
jonny, once again, thanks for your advice :)
might aswell write a book on pop engines ;)
the motor will only need to run long enough to get me through the MOT and get it registerd.. i hope...
taa
-Liam

BaronVonVVankel
08-05-08, 11:41 PM
Erm... maybe im being really stupid here.. but why use such an old engine?
I guess you need a low litreage (if that wasnt a word, it is now) and its gotta be rear wheel drive... first thing that springs to mind is an 1100 or 1300 Ford but there must be plenty of options, maybe something Japanese for reliability?

chop-n-pop
08-05-08, 11:43 PM
I guess you need a low litreage (if that wasnt a word, it is now) and its gotta be rear wheel drive... first thing that springs to mind is an 1100 or 1300 Ford but there must be plenty of options, maybe something Japanese for reliability?

needs to be MOT'd as stock to be registered... unfortunately...
i wanna use a 1100 or 1300 in the future... but as it stands, i cant just yet...

49anglia
08-05-08, 11:46 PM
Doesnt have to be MOT'd as stock.

The car will need to be inspected by a club to verify what it is. It needs to be stock then. Once registration is sorted you can do what you like to it, pre or post MOT.

Ive just been through this very process, registering a stock pop that was off the system. Now its done i can mod all i like.

Word of warning, it took me about 8 months to sort it. Ive heard other people where it took about the same amount of time.

Its a bit of a ball ache.

If you need any advice on it, PM me.

BaronVonVVankel
08-05-08, 11:46 PM
needs to be MOT'd as stock to be registered... unfortunately...

I was being really stupid :D

Edit: 'Doesnt have to be MOT'd as stock'... i knew that.. err not.
There you go, ditch the piece of junk.

chop-n-pop
09-05-08, 12:02 AM
Doesnt have to be MOT'd as stock.

The car will need to be inspected by a club to verify what it is. It needs to be stock then. Once registration is sorted you can do what you like to it, pre or post MOT.

Ive just been through this very process, registering a stock pop that was off the system. Now its done i can mod all i like.

Word of warning, it took me about 8 months to sort it. Ive heard other people where it took about the same amount of time.

Its a bit of a ball ache.

If you need any advice on it, PM me.

ahhh okay...
cheers for that mate :)

kapri
09-05-08, 09:24 AM
Not quite correct. The DVLA MAY chose to re inspect after the MOT but before registration as some of the stunts pulled by number plates dealers make them trust no one. Had a call from someone had it happen, he'd dismantled the car by then and they refused to believe the MOT :(

"Now it's done I can mod all I like " ...again not true IF you want to remain within the law , and not risk being sent for SVA if found out , there is a certain level of mods that are acceptable to retain your right to continued road use using the existing reg number .

Further explanations of all of the above is held in the stickies on rodding discussion. I'm not telling you , or anyone ,how to modify your car but at least be aware of the legal position before making your choices.

There is much rodding folklore out there ..........................

Jonny69
09-05-08, 11:59 AM
Cant you convert 10hp engines to use big end shells?
You can but it's easier to convert a 100E engine. On a 100E engine the sides of the rods act as the thrust bearing, on a 10hp it's white metalled up the sides and it wears off. Basically you can't use a plain shell bearing without building the sides of the rods up with weld or braze and it gets expensive. Costs about £50 per rod to white metal, more if you want to convert to shells.

It's a pile of work and expense to put a 1 litre crossflow in a Pop! Axle, wishbone modifications, prop, chassis mods, bulkhead and tunnel mods, juice brakes and lines, juice pedal box, handbrake, some way to operate the clutch, speedo, 12 volts, different wheels and tyres. And then it will only be as fast as a warmed up sidevalve...

Jonny69
09-05-08, 01:51 PM
I hope it's not you bidding on this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ford-anglia-prefect-popular-100e-1172-sidevalve-engine_W0QQitemZ310048321743

Read the feedback...

chop-n-pop
09-05-08, 06:12 PM
cheers people. =]
jonny, no, im not.. lol...

49anglia
09-05-08, 08:05 PM
Not quite correct. The DVLA MAY chose to re inspect after the MOT but before registration as some of the stunts pulled by number plates dealers make them trust no one. Had a call from someone had it happen, he'd dismantled the car by then and they refused to believe the MOT :(

"Now it's done I can mod all I like " ...again not true IF you want to remain within the law , and not risk being sent for SVA if found out , there is a certain level of mods that are acceptable to retain your right to continued road use using the existing reg number .

Further explanations of all of the above is held in the stickies on rodding discussion. I'm not telling you , or anyone ,how to modify your car but at least be aware of the legal position before making your choices.

There is much rodding folklore out there ..........................

Yeah, after the mot but 'before registration'. Once registered you can mod it before the mot if you like. It doesnt need to be MOT'd to register it so no problems there.

I know what your saying about sva etc, just assumed things werent going that far. I guess your ok unless you cut the chassis up?

49anglia
09-05-08, 08:07 PM
You can but it's easier to convert a 100E engine. On a 100E engine the sides of the rods act as the thrust bearing, on a 10hp it's white metalled up the sides and it wears off. Basically you can't use a plain shell bearing without building the sides of the rods up with weld or braze and it gets expensive. Costs about £50 per rod to white metal, more if you want to convert to shells.

It's a pile of work and expense to put a 1 litre crossflow in a Pop! Axle, wishbone modifications, prop, chassis mods, bulkhead and tunnel mods, juice brakes and lines, juice pedal box, handbrake, some way to operate the clutch, speedo, 12 volts, different wheels and tyres. And then it will only be as fast as a warmed up sidevalve...

Cool.

What are the signs of the white metal going? Just the usual knocks?

Jonny69
09-05-08, 08:28 PM
It chips away when it's really dead but otherwise visual signs of wear and excessive sideways play. You could plastigauge it but I don't know what the acceptable clearance is.

kapri
09-05-08, 08:36 PM
Yeah, after the mot but 'before registration'. Once registered you can mod it before the mot if you like. It doesnt need to be MOT'd to register it so no problems there.

I know what your saying about sva etc, just assumed things werent going that far. I guess your ok unless you cut the chassis up?

Errr, if you read teh sticky you'll have a better idea , the section that tells you what you need to retain the original reg will tell you what you need to know. If you want more info PM me for a phone number and we'll chat :)

49anglia
09-05-08, 08:56 PM
Its cool, ive read the regs before, just cant remember as it was ages ago. Just thinking out loud in case its relevant to the thread stertes build.

As i said though, you dont need an MOT to register it, so register it now. Once its done do whatever you like (within the confines of the rules :))