Question.
Rover 3.5 V8, bog stock but for an Edelbrock/Weber 500 carb and manifold. It starts and runs great from cold, but when starting hot takes a good few seconds spinning over before it'll fire up.
It has basically stock Rover electronic ignition.

I thought about fuel evaporating, but it has an electric pump and should re-fill the float bowls as soon as the ignition is turned on.

What's the standard starting procedure when starting hot: No throttle, some, lots, pump it, one big pump, choke on/off?

Answer. (Klunk)
I found mine starts best from cold with a couple of pumps of the throttle then start, with foot not on.

When warm, no throttle at all. Or if it's being stubborn, foot to the floor, to clear the carb, then hold the throttle at half way whilst spinning over, and as soon as it fires get your foot off.

I assume you have your coil amplifier well earthed. lots of that white contact grease we spoke about. I added an additional earth strap from the back of the amplifier to the engine, which helped.

Also make sure your battery is well charged, if it is below 12v it'll spin the motor, but not get a big enough spark. Those amplifiers seem to need at least 12.5v.

Stick it on trickle charge over night, then try it next morning. Also put a volt meter on the battery before and after charging.

I assume you have checked your cap and leads? I replaced the main HT lead when I had all my problems, but admittedly I did that along with the earth strap, contact grease and new amplifier unit. So it was probably the sum of everything.

I am about to fit one of those Phenolic spacers under my carb, as this will help any possible fuel evaporation, which I only get when running a bonnet, as normally the engine is out in the elements. They are about £10.00 on EPay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-Phenolic-Car...QQcmdZViewItem