Thread: Words of encouragement/kick up the ****

Unhappy Words of encouragement/kick up the ****

Title says it all really, I seem to struggling to get cracking with my pop!
    I've had some major changes in my life over the past year which took priority, and this year work has been taking up a lot of time (pleasures of having your own business) I've had some serious help from friends (allright Ian!) to get the car not that far off, but I started to do a re-wire, which I thought I'd be able to handle - but all stop! I've hit a brick wall, found myself standing in the garage with a bunch of wires in my hand just looking at them!
    Just can't seem to get motivated, I was going to get the pop out before the season ends and give it a bit of shake down, but no chance now.
    So here I am in need of a serious kicking and/or a rocket suitably placed in my nether region.
    Many thanks, Tony

1. Wire enough to get it running.
    2. Remove exhaust from manifolds.
    3. Open garage door.
    4. Start it up, sit in it & just listen to the noise.........

Langy has been doing my wiring as it's spicing one loom into another + a lot of new circuits. I guess I could have had a go but it would have taken me ages as it's my first one apart fom a simple slingshot dragster loom I made up. From what I have managed to learn the most important thing is to plan it out first then run one wire at a time. Buy plenty of zip ties as well! It's up there with body prep and stripping an engine but well worth it to get it done properly.
    1955-56-57 Chevy new and used parts always available from www.randrhotrodimports.co.uk

Make yourself a coffee. Open the garage doors and list out on paper the jobs that need doing. When you are in the mood to do small jobs, get them done. When enthusiasm kicks in, which it will when you get the smaller jobs done, get on with the more tedious work.

Concentrate on finishing one task before starting another, the satisfaction of a job well done will give you the impetus to get on with the stuff which is less rewarding.

Good luck...don't forget to give your mates a call to help you out. If they are like my mates, they will be sod all use, but call them anyway !!

Images
    Look Taz I am a numpty and I managed to wire my Truck all on my own so honestly if I can do it anyone at all can, and it was my first wiring job to.

I did buy a wiring kit that had the fuse box already wired up and all the wires are marked where they should be terminated. I only had to add a couple relays, I just took my time and did one part at a time, ignoring everything else.

I started at the easy parts like starter coil etc and worked my way up to lights which took a bit more working out... but you can do it. You just have to force yourself out into the garage and start.. that's the hard part starting.. Good luck as it is worth it when it all works.. like breathing life into the baby ;o)

Quote Originally Posted by andy fadster View Post
    Make yourself a coffee. Open the garage doors and list out on paper the jobs that need doing. When you are in the mood to do small jobs, get them done. When enthusiasm kicks in, which it will when you get the smaller jobs done, get on with the more tedious work.

Concentrate on finishing one task before starting another, the satisfaction of a job well done will give you the impetus to get on with the stuff which is less rewarding.

Good luck...don't forget to give your mates a call to help you out. If they are like my mates, they will be sod all use, but call them anyway !!
    just get in the garage you fag lol ;p

If you do just one little thing per day thats 365 things you have done each year. mind you I do this and things are still slow!

Images
    How about going out and buying a cheap "toy"..........a basic old rod, classic, kustom,....then you have a motor to go to the shows/runs which will get you all fired up again and when the "real" rod is ready you just sell on the runaround.....stay part of the scene get your enthusiasm back and get some dosh back at the end...sorted!......................paul.

GET ON WITH IT FFS

^^^ Note - I am not one to talk

Get the engine going this weekend, then with the new found motivation from hearing it fire into life you can book a day or two off work and do that wiring. Biggest mistake I reckon I made with mine was not firing the engine and waiting until it was all done to get it going.

i second the 'get the engine running asap' approach, that gives the impetus to then get it moving, then to get a mot, and then USING it whenever you like!

if you're not able to start the engine at the moment, get it to a point where you can!!

Images
    I can't give you a kick up the jacksy Tony ,your tuffer than me,
    i guess i could always out run you though
    Get on with the wiring after all what could go wrong.

Motivation supplies running low here too

i made my own loom, never again, buy a kit, gotta be cheaper and easier.

sounds like you got my disease tony, karl

Smile

First of all - Thank you!
    I spent some time in the garage last night and did a couple of "little" jobs, found the best place on the dash to put the switches, marked it out, drilled the holes, hey presto they're on and ready to wire. I placed the gauges in put the knobs (ooo matron) on that I've made from bullets, gave the brass a polish, stood back and admired it!
    For those of you that are interested, I've had the engine fired up, and actually drove the car out of the garage onto the road and back again, this was a fantastic feeling, but seems like an eternity ago!
    When I can get my head around posting photo's I'll get some here.
    I'll be back in there tonight!!!

Quote Originally Posted by karlspop View Post
    sounds like you got my disease tony, karl
    What you doing on here Abdul, get back in that airing cupboard looking at bits!