Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scott Kalitta RIP.

Sad news.
    1955-56-57 Chevy new and used parts always available from www.randrhotrodimports.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Sad news.
    grim day

A32Flathead

Unhappy

RIP Scott

Yet another tragic loss for the NHRA - RIP

sad news indeed.

RIP S.Kalitta

Images
    Another very sad loss,
    and after all the safety revisions the NHRA have made too,it is far from fair.
    Perhaps yet more can be learned from this as with recent accidents,looking at the clip ,a longer run off area and sand trap may have made a difference,i understand this may not be possible at all venues,but i am sure the NHRA will do all they can to improve track safety.

Images
    RIP Scott

Images
    Having lost three members of my family in the last few years it sickin's me to see good people going when the ****'s of this world seem to go on........Scott went doing what he loved way to soon....RIP................Paul.

Although we may never know the first explosion may have rendered him unable to do anything about the final impact and perhaps (hopefully) he wasn't aware of it. Although the chutes look like they have deployed the lines have burnt away before they could do anything to slow the car down.

Expensive for the shorter tracks but perhaps something like a catch wire like fighters have on carriers at the far end of a track. Even a sand trap can be dangerous, I remember seeing John Force go end over hitting one.
    1955-56-57 Chevy new and used parts always available from www.randrhotrodimports.co.uk

Very sad news, R.I.P. Scott.

There does seem to be a 'safety' fence on the footage, but there is also a big wall just after it.

NSRA member
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Scarlet View Post
    Another very sad loss,
    and after all the safety revisions the NHRA have made too,it is far from fair.
    Perhaps yet more can be learned from this as with recent accidents,looking at the clip ,a longer run off area and sand trap may have made a difference,i understand this may not be possible at all venues,but i am sure the NHRA will do all they can to improve track safety.
    It must take a hell of a lot of sand barriers, run off areas, collapsible walls etc to stop a car from 300mph, with no chutes. Lets hope he departed this mortal coil fairly quickly, and didn't suffer inside the burning car too much.

Wiki said
    .....The parachutes were twisted and did little to stop the car. The car continued down the track, went through the sand, over some dirt, through a fence, and hit the wall shooting the car into the air, breaking it into hundreds of pieces. An immediate fireball enveloped the car as part landed in the woods and part appears to land on the camera tower. Some of the trees in the woods were scorched by heated fragments......
    Polygamy is having more wives than you really need.
    Monogamy is essentially much the same thing.

Images
    Really sad news, but here's a thought, how about a water trap, about 6-8 inches deep at the end, slow you down AND maybe help to put out the fire?

rip scott kalitta

Devestating news!thoughts are with family and friends!
    Maybe the NHRA will extend the run off area now!RIP .

Hi from sunny spain thats really sad news God Bless RIP

Quote Originally Posted by nigel3432 View Post
    maybe the NHRA will extend the run off area now!

According to a comment on the youtube video,the run off area at this particular raceway cant be extended due to a public road behind the line of trees at the end of the strip.

Drag racing has lost another good man and my condolenses to connie and all his family he sure will be missed.