Thread: Cleveland/windsor

Cleveland/windsor

Asking for a friend. Whats the difference between a cleveland & windsor FORD V8 in exteranal size? What gearbox will he need? THANKS
    Last edited by 100eDar; 01-08-08 at 11:16 PM.

dixiefried
    as far as i am aware the blocks are the same size and only
    the displacement/internals are different. the 351w has 6 bolts holding
    down the valve covers.the 351c has 8 bolts.

i believe the 351c was only produced from 1970 to 1974
    so would be pretty rare and may be harder to get parts
    for than the 351w which had a 30 year run.

they both use the same bellhousing and probably share
    the same box.

Cleveland is wider due to having "square " heads , the exhaust ports point down at 45 degrees rather than sideways. Probably a little longer too. Having said that you can put Clevo heads on a Windsor so there can't be much difference. It will take a C4 (& presumably an AOD too).
    Parts are more available than you might think , Summit list all sorts of things , but generally a bit dearer than the small block stuff. Australia is a good source for Clevo bits (but that crank on ebay at the moment is mine , don't even think about bidding!).
    It can also develop more HP than the windsor partly due to the fact that (I shall say this quietly so the Ford purists can't hear me) the head design was based on the BBC. If you get the 2 barrel heads the ports are large , if you get the 4 barrel version the ports are HOOGE!
    A lot of 351 Clevelands turn out to be 302s , you can only tell by dropping the sump or taking a head off . 302 cranks have "302" cast into them & a 3" stroke , 351s have a 3.5" stroke.
    The yanks made them from `70 to about `72 , the Aussies where still making them in `76 , maybe later (mines an Aus `76).

Quote Originally Posted by Paul G View Post
    A lot of 351 Clevelands turn out to be 302s , you can only tell by dropping the sump or taking a head off .

Hmmm, ask Crosspring (Kieth) about this.....

I only realised when the instructions on my windage tray said to get it within 1/16" of the crank & I couldn't get it within 1/4" :O(

Darren, have a look here. Has Paul got much done then?

http://www.wagoneers.com/FSJ/tech/En...swapchart.html

Quote Originally Posted by 100eDar View Post
    Asking for a friend. Whats the difference between a cleveland & windsor FORD V8 in exteranal size? What gearbox will he need? THANKS
    clevelands are wider at the top end (heads) and may be a tad longer , thats why not many get put into 60`s mustangs as you have to alter the struts abit ,
    you can get stuff for them its just abit dearer ,i have a set of noisey gears if he fancys a whine like a blower plus a set of total seal rings (standard size ),the aussi boys love em and build some serious stuff
    400`s and 351 m have a taller deck hight so could well be fatter still
    i still recon that i lost them 49ci when i blew the head gaskets going to have a look down at the bottom end at shakey at the hotrod drags

I might be interested in those Cleveland bits if you wanna sell, PM with details if you like!

I take it they are streetable noise levels?....

To help answer the origional question
    Clevelands are small block bellhousing pattern C4 or FMX wheras 351M and 400M are big block C6 bellhousing..

clevelands are quite a bit wider than a windsor small block and are a tad taller...