Thread: wobbily rockers

wobbily rockers

so im putting some comp camsmagnum roller rockers(1411) in the cleveland motor with the crane cams stud and guide plate set ,my little query is that with the push rod in they wobble from side to side have bin told off respected engine guy that they do this just wonderd if anyone has fitted them
    cheers keith..

Mine do too. Some of the rockers seam to work loose & need readjusting from time to time >:O( . I have bought some new lifters in the hope of stopping it happening but not got around to fitting them yet.
    Last edited by Paul G; 21-11-07 at 09:20 AM. Reason: to make it make sense!

pushrod should have movement otherwise your clearances are too tight. Valvetrain clearances should allow the lifter to spin (if required) for oiling and the valve to fully close, plus so the whole thing don't hammer itself to bits. If the lateral movement of the pushrod is too much, ie in contact with the head, you can either enlarge the holes or run pushrod guide plates.

wb the push rods are kept in place by these guide plates and little plastic fitting so theres no probs with them its when the cam is on its heal that the rocker arm itself that wobbles from side to side i just thought that it would locate on somthing ,but they are the cheaper roller rockers as all the others ive seen seam to locate on a bar /rail/bearing style thingy
    cheers for that paul this is the first time ive used these so didnt know what i was expecting

How are you adjusting them Keith?

shaft mounted rockers are nice but not ness needed, The side to side movement is normal as the end of the adjuster is be round to allow the rocker to pivot, upshot is that with the follower on the base circle of the cam, theres no load on it and being round it can also move side to side. As long as your clearances are spot on then you shouldn't have any problems. Bump the motor on the start with the valve covers off and you'll see they line up ok.

I run a set of roller stud mounted Harland Sharp rockers with a girdle and kick out around 650bhp revving to 7K, so shaft mounted although nice, aren't really needed.

Movement on the heel of the cam is normal Keith.
    1955-56-57 Chevy new and used parts always available from www.randrhotrodimports.co.uk

cheers for that gents puts my mind at rest
    paul i set the first one like it says in the ford (how to build a ford )book ,run the nut down till the rod is only just snug then 3/4 turn more to just depress the lifter (with the lifter on the base of the cam )i think this is right(lol proberbly not thou )