Thread: Painting vinyl with metalflake?

Painting vinyl with metalflake?

I know that Vinylkote etc is available to paint upholstery, BUT....

We're making up custom door panels for the Chevy and want the tops to be black metalflake. Now I can't find any black metalflake vinyl here, so is there any way I can prepare the vinyl & paint it using conventional paints?

If not, any other suggestions?

Last edited by the_hotrod_freak; 23-12-08 at 04:29 PM.

They say they do metal flake vinyl but no pics.

FABRICS:

Imported from the U.S:
    Metalflake Vinyl @ £26.50 per meter + p&p

http://www.royalkustoms.co.uk/trim.html#fabric

These guys do the flake vinyl...

http://www.abbeyfabricsuk.com/

I got my metalflake vinyl for £7.50 a yard in the states, lots of places do it.
    Any advice or help given is actually based on having done the job, not read about doing it or Googling it.

www.langysrodshop.co.uk Our parts are air freighted so 5-7 day delivery, The best GRP Willys body available/Rebel Wirings only UK dealer/Speedway Motors authorised dealer/Summit racing/Jegs/Hotrod parts supplied, MAC Autos, We deal with all the US hotrod suppliers even non car related stuff.
    Brake,Oil & Fuel etc plumbing stockist/Totally Stainless fastener dealer/Dolphin Instrument dealer, LMC & Brothers Trucks,
    Stainless Exhaust tube & mandrel bends stockist

I used some blue flake vinyl I got from J&M (I think) who do most of the big shows.

Thanks for the replies folks. Looks like its now sorted.

NutRocker, those door panels are pretty close to what we're doing, but in black. The reason for enquiring about spraying onto vinyl is that there will be a panel in the middle that's metalflake, but I'll use material instead of paint, it'll last longer.

Cheers
    Last edited by English Impala; 04-11-08 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Pressed "send" before I'd finished tryping.

Gary theres no way i can see of spraying metalflake on vinyl as it needs several coats of clear to bury it.
    Any advice or help given is actually based on having done the job, not read about doing it or Googling it.

www.langysrodshop.co.uk Our parts are air freighted so 5-7 day delivery, The best GRP Willys body available/Rebel Wirings only UK dealer/Speedway Motors authorised dealer/Summit racing/Jegs/Hotrod parts supplied, MAC Autos, We deal with all the US hotrod suppliers even non car related stuff.
    Brake,Oil & Fuel etc plumbing stockist/Totally Stainless fastener dealer/Dolphin Instrument dealer, LMC & Brothers Trucks,
    Stainless Exhaust tube & mandrel bends stockist

Contact Martrim. http://www.martrim.co.uk/ They were at the Supernats. Great guys and lots of different flake options. I got some the exact match to the wagon for the interior.
    1955-56-57 Chevy new and used parts always available from www.randrhotrodimports.co.uk who I'm proud to have sponsor my '57 Chevy race car. 9.3 @ 155.5 mph / 0-60 mph in 1.47 seconds! Street legal :-)

Check out my parts for sale Thanks for looking.