Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Welcome to the UK Rodding History Forum

This is one of the best categories I've seen on any forum - if only all those mag featured cars were still here . . . not that I'm living in the past of course Just goes to show the impact some things have when you're young and impressionable!

early billing

first or second Billing. Meet in a pub with ALL the rods that were in attendance.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Images
    "Thamesvan" and Gerry.
    This `sticky` thread is more of a "Welcome to the UK rodding history" forum than a place for posting pics etc. You`d both be better of starting completely new threads within the history forum itself for your queries/pics, cheers ...
    "The older i get, the faster i was".
    Out to pasture ...
    My Intro My Rods

Feel free to delete the post so the thread stays to its original subject, although not quite sure what that is, now?
    Gerry

New guest

planet of the apes

hi,does anyone remember a white pick up (NOT SURE WHAT PICK UP IT WAS) with a murial on the bonnet of planet of the apes and some funky paintwork down the sides it came from maidstone in kent originally
    Last edited by 1972jlt; 07-12-12 at 03:59 PM.

New guest
    Hi All, Some nostalgia for you, Pre. N.S.R.A was the N.D.R.C Roadsters set up by Chris my brother on request from Alan Wigmore chair of the N.D.R.C in the day.
    The Roadsters included Chris Church (SBC Model T ROD 5), Mickey Bray(R.I.P) of Pinball Wizard fame, Chrysler powered T, Barry Tracey (Mr.T.) Jag Mk 2 at the time, Brian Godber ( Ford 4 pot 23,Model T)
    There was once a month meet and cruise of Brighton followed by a meal at the Steak House. Each member was issued with a numbered plaque for their Rod and Red Screen printed Jackets. (I've lost mine through time) I think brothers still got his. Any way the word got out and things escalated , I think it was the meet arranged at a Motel top of Reigate Hill. Attendance was greater than expected from then on I think Graham Kerr took over chair and later became the N.S.R.A. probably integrating with the B.D.R.H.R.A. but not sure.
    Chris and I used to Drag Race our 289 powered Ford Pop "Goldrush" in the late 60's , when we gave up racing Chris built the 'T' , I had a 57 Chevy 2 door 210 my girlfriend bought for me! which never saw the finish line (long story) it gave up of its 4 speed for the 'T' and a Model B which gave up its front beam ( wot are brothers for!) Hey he took me to California. We started the rod and custom shop Brighton Speed & Custom , but Brighton was too far south for most, mail order didn't crack it, we used to support the N.D.R.C. at race events with T shirts,models etc. until the money men moved in. That was the end of that.
    Subsequently I built a Ford Pop ,Daimler 2.5 wade supercharged (love to know where it is now) adapted C4 trans to Jag live axle on 4 bar & watts linkage. Red velour interior, electric windows. Had the Reg. SCD 234 but I think that was removed by the purchaser, as was ROD 5 from the 'T' , cherished numbers were starting to become desirable and valuable!
    Looking at the pictures of "The Prisoner" Model T I think that is or was ROD 5.
    Apologises if I've run over or bored anybody, age brings nostalgia! I'am not done yet, still doing it!??

Images
    Wow, great to hear from you after all this time, I visited your shop in Brighton once but as you say, it was a long way even from Croydon back then! However, I'm now down on the South Coast too & not far from Brighton! Fascinating to hear about the formation of the NSRA, which I had all but forgotten even though I was on the BDR&HRA committee for a while in the 70s!
    MisteR Tee
    Ah, Nostalgia, it ain't what it used to be!

No longer wanted: Steel 26/27 Ford Model T coupe rear fenders.

My Intro My website my cars

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by goldrush View Post
    …...The Roadsters included Chris Church (SBC Model T ROD 5), Mickey Bray(R.I.P) of Pinball Wizard fame, Chrysler powered T, Barry Tracey (Mr.T.) Jag Mk 2 at the time, Brian Godber ( Ford 4 pot 23,Model T) …... Each member was issued with a numbered plaque for their Rod and Red Screen printed Jackets …... Any way the word got out and things escalated , I think it was the meet arranged at a Motel top of Reigate Hill. Attendance was greater than expected from then on I think Graham Kerr took over chair and later became the N.S.R.A. probably integrating with the B.D.R.H.R.A. but not sure.

Looking at the pictures of "The Prisoner" Model T I think that is or was ROD 5.
    Apologises if I've run over or bored anybody, age brings nostalgia! I'am not done yet, still doing it!??
    Hi Pat, this photo shows Chris` Roadster Register plaque on the back of his `T`ROD 5, he was member no.1...and yes, the "Prisoner" T is Chris` old `T`.
    From memory the then fledgling NSRA was a `stand alone` club and I don't remember it being integrated or affiliated to the NDRC or BDRHRA although the club attended their respective drag race meets as a means of getting together with our cars, the NDRC giving free entry to members for any of their race meets provided they took their Rods. I seem to remember the reason the Roadster Register guys split from the NDRC was the NDRC wanted to control the R.R club which didn`t sit well with the rod owners.

Your brother Chris was the first `President` of the NSRA for 2 years along with
    Roy Osborne - secretary
    Micky Bray - treasurer
    Graham Kerr - membership secretary
    Bryan Godber - PRO (a post later taken over by Nick Brown).

Graham took over the post of club `President` 2 years later in 1974!. When he was still the Mem. Sec. he attended various drag meets in his VW camper which he used as his membership `office`!.

I remember your `Goldrush` Pop, a neat little race car!...it`s great to hear from you and you should be proud that the club that you guys started 47 years ago is still going strong and hosting the UKs biggest and best rodding events...

Name:  20080831-125329.jpg
Views: 706
Size:  32.8 KB
    "The older i get, the faster i was".
    Out to pasture ...
    My Intro My Rods

I haven't been on here for a long time, and I might have missed a lot, but has anyone got any info on Ian Dawes Popatop. I understand someone is supposed to be restoring it

Sent from my SM-A520F using NSRA mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Brizey View Post
    "Thamesvan" and Gerry.
    This `sticky` thread is more of a "Welcome to the UK rodding history" forum than a place for posting pics etc. You`d both be better of starting completely new threads within the history forum itself for your queries/pics, cheers ...
    Did I just get my wrists slapped?Its amazing looking at the names coming up on this post,its mind blowing already.Am I allowed to say Alphabet alex's chopped coupe was one I kind of aspired to.No pictures then?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by welder bert View Post
    I haven't been on here for a long time, and I might have missed a lot, but has anyone got any info on Ian Dawes Popatop. I understand someone is supposed to be restoring it

I did see the odd pic come up on FB but never saved any, if I come across some i'll post them up

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by welder bert View Post

There's a thread on it started recently with update pics, probably in the Pop section!
    MisteR Tee
    Ah, Nostalgia, it ain't what it used to be!

No longer wanted: Steel 26/27 Ford Model T coupe rear fenders.

My Intro My website my cars