Page 3 of 153 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: V8pop's V8pop

Quote Originally Posted by nobler View Post
    can you make me some bearing spacers?
    I didn't make the spacers for my hub conversion, I had them turned, but I'm happy to pass the drawing's on to anyone as long as you remember mine's not on the road yet so I'm not willing to take responsibility for any problems you may incur!
    Cheers. Tim.
    Last edited by v8pop; 27-04-09 at 02:25 PM.
    They say "life's a Crap Shoot" - Sure would be nice to have some Shoot for a change !!

My Pop My Intro

More front end!!

I'm on to the bat-wings and shocker mounts now...

As usual I always start with the CAD - The "I" beam is shown in green (or blue depending on your colour perception) I am proposing to slip 2 "C" shaped brackets (shown in magenta) over the "I" beam one to carry the bat wing (shown in red) and one to carry the Coilover (shown in yellow). See it's that simple!!

Made a template of the side and roughed out the sides from 4mm P&O.

A bit more chopping and then put the top hole in so I could bolt them together to drill the bottom hole.

Bolted the bottom as well so I could clean them up all together.

Then on to the "C" shaped mounting for the sides, I was lucky enough to be in the workshop when they were folding some 50 x 6 black flat, as I always carry my dimensions with me I got the 2 "C"s that fit inside each other pressed up no problem.

After a lot of cutting and filing I they start to look the business.

Then I clamped them ready to tack up.

Tacked and checked.

All fabbed up

That's the pair done

A quick trial fit to see if the flat has pulled during fabrication but luckily it's OK the inner "C" still fits in.

A few minutes with the drill and grinder and the inner "C" looks like this.

I also had some 6mm P&O "U"s made at work for the shocker mount.

After a bit of cutting and drilling they ended up like this.

Hey it actually looks like the cad drawing!

The colilover mounts are ready to fab.

All tacked ready for checking.

Who’s a lucky boy got one wrong easier to cut 2 tacks rather than chop the full weld out.

Nice bit of rough welding to clean up.

And there we have it, all ready for the 4 bars.
    Last edited by v8pop; 30-06-10 at 02:09 PM.
    They say "life's a Crap Shoot" - Sure would be nice to have some Shoot for a change !!

My Pop My Intro

Images
    Tim , i am lovin this build up ,and more so as you are working outside,and as usual i may not be reading all the thread properly but did you say what V8 you plan to fit,and do you think there are any issues with the strength of the Pop front axle,as a few on the forum have expressed concerns over the strength of the king pin area in particular, in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Scarlet View Post
    Tim , i am lovin this build up ,and more so as you are working outside,and as usual i may not be reading all the thread properly but did you say what V8 you plan to fit,and do you think there are any issues with the strength of the Pop front axle,as a few on the forum have expressed concerns over the strength of the king pin area in particular, in the past.
    Ian I intend to fit a stock Rover V8 in her, so at the minute I feel quite confident about the pop axle - Unless anyone has any prior's that might queer me pitch, so to speak.

My Pop My Intro

Didn't anxious have a pop axle fitted for quite some time?
    Zetec powered pop ON THE ROAD!!!

Images
    I must admit i am not that familiar with the suitability of the Pop axle ,only picking up bits of info here and there,i know Steve Dennish in California has one on the 'Hummer' racing Anglia,and i think said he has them x rayed for imperfections and cracks when he has had to replace one.Perhaps someone else more familiar with them, may be able to offer advice.
    At least you will have a lightweight Rover V8 on it,so that may help,i was a little bit apprehensive about suggesting a weakness in the Pop axle,as i admire your no nonsense get on with it approach, to building cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Scarlet View Post
    I must admit i am not that familiar with the suitability of the Pop axle ,only picking up bits of info here and there,i know Steve Dennish in California has one on the 'Hummer' racing Anglia,and i think said he has them x rayed for imperfections and cracks when he has had to replace one.Perhaps someone else more familiar with them, may be able to offer advice.
    At least you will have a lightweight Rover V8 on it,so that may help,i was a little bit apprehensive about suggesting a weakness in the Pop axle,as i admire your no nonsense get on with it approach, to building cars.
    Probably more like no sense, than no nonsense. My theory was the RV8 weighes about the same as a Pinto and people don't seem think twice about running them on the standard axle, so I should be OK. Only time (or this forum) will tell.

My Pop My Intro

NSRA member
    Images
    Very entertaining stuff, keep it up.

Hi Tim,
    Still doing a great job mate, keep it up mate,
    Mike C.
    Mikes V8 Pop build

IT'S ALL GOOD IN THE HOOD

Had a tragic Monday morning... A serious penny drop moment! If you’ve seen the Tech forum then you will know, I suddenly noticed the shackle bolt hole in the axle isn’t vertical it actually lays over at about 9 degrees!

Yep my 4 bars would bind rather than move up and down. So the ones I have just made are destined for the scrap bin!!!!

So I licked me wounds and moved on to the 4 bars ready for when I sort the bat wings, I have had one end of the bars drilled ready to tap them 5/8” UNF.

That’s one done three to go.

The rose joint goes in OK.

Just need to prep the other end for fitting to the bush carrier.

And there we have it all ready to weld up – At least something’s gone right!!!
    I now need to work out how to lay the bat wing sides over on the “C” shaped carrier.

I’ll post more when I do more. Cheers. Tim.
    Last edited by v8pop; 30-06-10 at 02:15 PM.

My Pop My Intro

Hi Tim,
    Your not alone, I also have them moments. The good thing is that both our rides are still off the road, and when they are on the road they should be much better for these little set backs.

Looks like a good job on the four bars though,

Not long until Friday now LOL

Cheers,
    Mike C.
    Mikes V8 Pop build

Quote Originally Posted by Rover V8 View Post
    Hi Tim,
    Your not alone, I also have them moments. The good thing is that both our rides are still off the road, and when they are on the road they should be much better for these little set backs.

Looks like a good job on the four bars though,

Not long until Friday now LOL

Cheers,
    Mike C.
    Thanks Mike, I know your right mate but sometimes all that wasted time and effort is hard to swallow.

Yep today's the day!

Tim.

My Pop My Intro

Thumbs up

hi tim ive got a pile of scrap metal were i make something up then get a brainwave and change it all all part of the process youl have a tidy set up car when its done keep the progress coming
    adie

Quote Originally Posted by cossie pop View Post
    hi tim ive got a pile of scrap metal were i make something up then get a brainwave and change it all all part of the process youl have a tidy set up car when its done keep the progress coming
    adie
    Cheers Adie - It helps to know I'm not alone!

My Pop My Intro

I thought I’d start the bat wings again (only properly this time)…

Using a long ½” bolt and my angle finder I need to lay the bat wing over 6½°

Luckily I had 2 sets of pressed “C” channels so out come the reserves.

All chopped up and looking like they will do the job

That’s the bolt hole in and we're looking good to go.

I’m on the right track now! Just need to fab them up and I’m back to where I was 2 weeks ago!!!! Hot Roddin, don’t you just love it!
    Last edited by v8pop; 30-06-10 at 02:17 PM.

My Pop My Intro

One man and his shed

Just spent more than my lunch hour reading this. Top stuff , well interesting.

Dan

Very good Tim, good to see your back on the saddle,
    Mike C.
    Mikes V8 Pop build

Quote Originally Posted by DansT View Post
    Just spent more than my lunch hour reading this. Top stuff , well interesting.

Dan
    Thanks Dan, glad to brighten up your lunck break mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover V8 View Post
    Very good Tim, good to see your back on the saddle,
    Mike C.
    You just gotta get back on there until you get it right, as you said before Mike the Pop will be better for it in the end.

Cheers. Tim
    Last edited by v8pop; 11-05-09 at 04:49 PM.

My Pop My Intro

Had a bit of a damp welding bay at the week-end so I was confined to the shed, I decided to get the Panhard Rod mounting for the axle sorted out.

Starting off with a piece of folded flat bar (as usual)!

That slips over the break rod swivel mounting…

I then cut a piece of 25 square box and shaped it to fit over the swelling on the axle.

Like so.

I positioned the 5/8” bolt on my “C” section.

That’s how it sits.

Sorted out the bolt hole to go through the axle as well.

A bit of shaping to look tidy.

And that’s the theory.

Also with the spherical joint fitted – Just need better weather so I can fab it up!!

That's all for now!

Cheers. Tim
    Last edited by v8pop; 30-06-10 at 02:21 PM.

My Pop My Intro

Hi Tim,
    Great work as usual, should have made some more progress now ?? as you had some real good weather this weekend,
    Cheers,
    Mike C.
    Mikes V8 Pop build