Page 12 of 153 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: V8pop's V8pop

Had a wet Saturday, but still managed to sort my mock up parts – Bolted the sump on the block

Bolted the bell housing on the gearbox.

I have a water pump but no timing cover so I made some ally brackets to put the pump where it’s supposed to be.

Sunday was a better day, so it was cover off and do a bit of 2 steps back 1 step forward. Cos I’ve raised the height I thought I would move the top coilover mounts so I can still fit the original size units, also I need to redo the panhard rod chassis mount to suit the new height.

Passenger side coilover mount off

And the drivers, sometimes I wonder about the strength of my welds but after cutting them off I’m more than happy!

That’s the panhard bracket off.

Next was the clearance for the steering, I must be honest when I Z’ed the chassis I never gave the steering much thought, now that I need some I realise I don’t have room for the drag link or the box. So I need to take a bit out of my elaborate spacer piece, so while the cutting disk was out I got stuck in.

That’s it rough chopped I will finalise the shape when I sort my box mounting.

The box should sit there quite nicely.

Next I got the welder out and tacked the coilover mounts in place.

That was all I had time for so the covers back on for a few dayz.

Cheers. Tim W.
    Last edited by v8pop; 21-07-10 at 02:05 PM.
    They say "life's a Crap Shoot" - Sure would be nice to have some Shoot for a change !!

My Pop My Intro

Hi Tim,

Progress looks good, like your mocked up front cover, hope you got some more done on the weekend,

Cheers,
    Mike C.
    Mikes V8 Pop build

IT'S ALL GOOD IN THE HOOD

nice work there is always something that you seem to forget but it feels great when you get over it .hope the weather turns for the better and you can get on .keep on it will be worth it when you first take it out for a drive

Images
    I hope easter's dry for you tim keep up the good work

Thanks for the comments lads, Yeah in 4 dayz we should get a bit of dry time, surely!

Cheers. Tim W.
    They say "life's a Crap Shoot" - Sure would be nice to have some Shoot for a change !!

My Pop My Intro

Managed to get a few spells in the shed over the long week-end. fabbed the new chassis panhard rod mount.

Got it clamped on ready for the next time I lug the welder round (barra’s broke before you ask).

Back to a level Panhard rod again.

On to the steering box mounting, my theory is that as I’m capping the bottom edge of the box section that I recently chopped out, I could make this capping strip with the bracket and captive bolts already built in. So off I go, this is my development.

After a few minutes with the cutting disk this is it.

I drilled the two holes for the captive bolts and after a bit of tapping and clamping…

And then a bit more…

Next was the other hole for the screw that goes into the steering box.

See where I’m going with this.

You can make out the gap between the box and the bracket, luckily it’s 5mm so a spacer is easy to make.

In no time at all, that’s made.

That’s more like it.

Out with the welder now.

That’s it done, all I gotta do now is to shape it and fit it to the chassis

Looks like it gonna be good weather for a few dayz so hopefully I will get it on.

Cheers. Tim W.
    Last edited by v8pop; 21-07-10 at 02:10 PM.

My Pop My Intro

Hi Tim,

Great work, and progress, I reckon the steering mount will work a treat, real glad that you got some time on it and the weather wasn't too bad, pretty good down here actually for a bank holiday

Cheers,
    Mike C.
    Mikes V8 Pop build

Quote Originally Posted by Rover V8 View Post
    Hi Tim,

Great work, and progress, I reckon the steering mount will work a treat, real glad that you got some time on it and the weather wasn't too bad, pretty good down here actually for a bank holiday

Cheers,
    Mike C.
    Cheers Mike, I'm hoping! How's yours coming on mate?

Cheers. Tim W.

My Pop My Intro

Quote Originally Posted by v8pop View Post
    Cheers Mike, I'm hoping! How's yours coming on mate?

Cheers. Tim W.
    Hi Tim,
    Not as quick as I had hoped I'm afraid, I'm still finding surprises that will slow me down even more, I'm still on the case, but I'm thinking Billing will be in my daily Iv'e decided that my Pop isn't leaving my garage again unless it's for paint, upholstery, or cruising

I did have a breakthrough today though that has been bugging me all day I'll go and do some more then I'll do an update to my build thread probably tomorrow.

Thanks for asking,

Keep the updates coming, I did look for inspiration today on the Pop builds and I got it, so cheers Tim, guys,

Mike C.
    Mikes V8 Pop build

hi, not sure by the pics, but the panhard rod fixed end should be same side as steering box...

Hi Tim,
    Not as quick as I had hoped I'm afraid, I'm still finding surprises that will slow me down even more, I'm still on the case, but I'm thinking Billing will be in my daily Iv'e decided that my Pop isn't leaving my garage again unless it's for paint, upholstery, or cruising

I did have a breakthrough today though that has been bugging me all day I'll go and do some more then I'll do an update to my build thread probably tomorrow.

Thanks for asking,

Keep the updates coming, I did look for inspiration today on the Pop builds and I got it, so cheers Tim, guys,

Mike C.
    Sorry to hear your running into problems mate, as I said before we'll have a chat at Billing either with or without the Pop!

Glad to help with the inspiration Mike you've done it for me a good few times!

Cheers. Tim W.

My Pop My Intro

Quote Originally Posted by mike noble View Post
    hi, not sure by the pics, but the panhard rod fixed end should be same side as steering box...
    Is that definitely? cos mines the other way round!!! What are the consiquences of it being the other way?

Cheers. Tim W.

My Pop My Intro

Is that definitely? cos mines the other way round!!! What are the consiquences of it being the other way?

Cheers. Tim W.
    yep, but i have no idea why, just what everybody says and does....

Images

Cheers. Tim W.
    Thats a big definitely! I see bump steer in your future I'm afraid.
    If they were both fixed you would have an "X" shaped brace between two sets of fixed points, nothing can move. Release one point and it can all move now but the free end will go sideways. That free point is your pitman arm.
    Ideally, both should be the same length and parallel.
    Layabout.

Quote Originally Posted by mike noble View Post
    yep, but i have no idea why, just what everybody says and does....
    Quote Originally Posted by Morris460 View Post
    Thats a big definitely! I see bump steer in your future I'm afraid.
    If they were both fixed you would have an "X" shaped brace between two sets of fixed points, nothing can move. Release one point and it can all move now but the free end will go sideways. That free point is your pitman arm.
    Ideally, both should be the same length and parallel.
    Thanks for that Mike, Paul. I need to change that then, that's another job to do but worth it in the end.

Cheers. Tim W

My Pop My Intro

I have been able to get a few pockets of time on the old gal lately, I finally managed to get the steering box positioned using my special bracket.

After my heads up from the forum I’m changing the panhard mounting. I drilled the blank cast boss on the other side of the axle, (I assume that is for the left hand drive model brake rod mounting) and fitted my panhard rod mount on the other (correct) side of the axle. Thanks lads.

This meant that I need to alter the chassis bracket as it accommodates the angle of the chassis. I cut a bit of 4mm plate and prepped it.

Then put a bit of MIG down it.

Then a bit of grinder around it.

Then clamped it in place ready for a few tacks.

Nice and level again.

While the welder was out I added some tacks to hold the steering box bracket in place.

Once everything was tacked I fitted the steering box.

And fitted the Panhard rod.

I had a little clearance issue between the pitman arm and the tie rod when she’s on full right lock. Gonna need a set in the tie rod me thinks.

And a small issue with the back of the drag link ball joint and the batwing on full left hand lock, that just needs a small massage.

Took it all off again and jacked the front up ready to finish weld and add boxing/capping plates during the hopefully dry long week-end.

That’s it for now, more when I do more.

Cheers. Tim W.
    Last edited by v8pop; 21-07-10 at 02:16 PM.

My Pop My Intro

Hi Tim,

Great progress glad you got some sun, good luck with the issues, should be a breeze for a man of your callibre,

Cheers,
    Mike C.
    Mikes V8 Pop build

coming on great am enjoying this as learning how to go about puting in this type of steering and not a rack keep up the great work

Images
    Tim it seems from the pics that the tierod is going to hit the pitman arm when the front suspension starts to compress ???
    Any advice or help given is actually based on having done the job, not read about doing it or Googling it.

www.langysrodshop.co.uk Our parts are air freighted so 5-7 day delivery, The best GRP Willys body available/Rebel Wirings only UK dealer/Speedway Motors authorised dealer/Summit racing/Jegs/Hotrod parts supplied, MAC Autos, We deal with all the US hotrod suppliers even non car related stuff.
    Brake,Oil & Fuel etc plumbing stockist/Totally Stainless fastener dealer/Dolphin Instrument dealer, LMC & Brothers Trucks,
    Stainless Exhaust tube & mandrel bends stockist

Hi Tim,

Great progress glad you got some sun, good luck with the issues, should be a breeze for a man of your callibre,

Cheers,
    Mike C.
    Thanks Mike, I wish I had your confidence in me - LOL

Quote Originally Posted by 53pop View Post
    coming on great am enjoying this as learning how to go about puting in this type of steering and not a rack keep up the great work
    Thanks allan, that's both of us learning then mate.

Cheers. Tim W.

My Pop My Intro