Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Gasser front suspension and steering........

cabby

Gasser front suspension and steering........

Would like some pix and details of gasser style suspension and steering combos, or someone in the know to explain the best set up?

Will try and explain how mine reacts, on acceleration you have steer to the right, on de-acceleration you have to steer to opposite way, even just driving normal hit a bump and the steering wheel will wobble, not vibrate just pulls your arms left to right if that makes sense?

Tony

Welcome to the world of straight axles...

get some pics up cabby, they will speek a 1000 words also look here

http://www.nsra.org.uk/newforum/showthread.php?t=17703

scottie

Check my tech thread out. Might help you.
    http://www.nsra.org.uk/newforum/showthread.php?t=18028
    Gavin

cabby
    Quote Originally Posted by Enbloc View Post

So is that just how they are?? if so why?? I know nuffing about gassers

Images
    Are you starting to fiddle already lol

cabby
    Quote Originally Posted by speedemon View Post
    Are you starting to fiddle already lol
    Craig, you know me , joking aside I like things to be right and safe as the kids love going out in the car, got to admit it scares the sh*t outta me!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Enbloc View Post
    Huh? Why would anyone tolerate such obviously incorrect handling? I've had a gasser (built it) pop and it was arrow straight at 120 hands off. It went where it was pointed and onlt bit if it lost traction (regularly)

Tony, some photos of the front end setup would be very informative.
    Layabout.

I had a similar prob with a dropped tube axle in a Pop. If you hit a pothole the steering shake would pull the wheel out of your hands. Turned out to be castor angle which was set at about 7 degrees when we reduced it to about 3.5 - 4 it was 99% better.
    The other prob sounds like engine torque, does it have a panhard rod on the front?

Quote Originally Posted by cabby View Post
    Would like some pix and details of gasser style suspension and steering combos, or someone in the know to explain the best set up?

Will try and explain how mine reacts, on acceleration you have steer to the right, on de-acceleration you have to steer to opposite way, even just driving normal hit a bump and the steering wheel will wobble, not vibrate just pulls your arms left to right if that makes sense?

Tony

That is exactly the same problem that Vince has, make's his a nightmare to race........? Very unstable

Thats why he is trying allsorts....?

http://www.nsra.org.uk/newforum/showthread.php?t=17054&highlight=picture+scene

ERM T shirt seem's to come into this

LOL

Sorry Tone not at you m8
    But
    I did try Tone and its amazing what you can get used to now add the caravan and drive to ipswich m8

I DID

And only unstable at aroun 90 if you jump off the gas to quick lol (without the caravan)
    Last edited by vince-305; 19-12-08 at 07:33 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cabby View Post
    Craig, you know me , joking aside I like things to be right and safe as the kids love going out in the car, got to admit it scares the sh*t outta me!

It sounds like alignment.

I have no experience with straight axles but for steering to work correctly (ie using the Ackerman Principle the points where the lines cross should be just in front of where the yoke is on the front of the diff.

Stewart

Banned
    as stew says,alignment castor, camber, KPI toe in/out all need consideration

Images
    If the steering tie rod still drops at an angle like it does in the photo I sent, then it is simply bump steer. I don't know what the spindles are (early Ford?), but if you are able to mount a steering arm at the top, i.e. above the springs if there is room, the tie rod would be nearer horizontal, which is where you want to be. Lowering the steering box could also help. As mr1958... says, I think this was what Vince was fighting with.
    Sent from my Kitchen Table using a little box full of smoke and dangerous radio waves

Shine is Fine

Tony the problem is the difference in height between the box and the steering arm

The only way around it is to fit a rack to the axle and a sliding joint on the colume (boring but safe)
    Last edited by vince-305; 19-12-08 at 07:33 PM.

Images
    Tony didn't you test drive it before buying ??? my Falcon gasser was fine, we need to see pics as it sounds like something is very wrong.
    Any advice or help given is actually based on having done the job, not read about doing it or Googling it.

www.langysrodshop.co.uk Our parts are air freighted so 5-7 day delivery, The best GRP Willys body available/Rebel Wirings only UK dealer/Speedway Motors authorised dealer/Summit racing/Jegs/Hotrod parts supplied, MAC Autos, We deal with all the US hotrod suppliers even non car related stuff.
    Brake,Oil & Fuel etc plumbing stockist/Totally Stainless fastener dealer/Dolphin Instrument dealer, LMC & Brothers Trucks,
    Stainless Exhaust tube & mandrel bends stockist

Think of a TV screen if you measure from opposite corners as you do, the measurement is longer as its a diaginal and thats the problem in a nut shell

I have asked excatly this b4
    Last edited by vince-305; 19-12-08 at 07:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ince-305 View Post
    Tony the problem is the difference in height between the box and the steering arm

The only way around it is to fit a rack to the axle and a sliding joint on the colume (boring but safe)

vince

the mk2 zephyr my straight axle came from drove fine for years and it used the original box and the arm came down at a bit of an angle to the steering arm

will see if i can get any pics of how steep it was

scottie

Quote Originally Posted by scottie View Post
    vince

the mk2 zephyr my straight axle came from drove fine for years and it used the original box and the arm came down at a bit of an angle to the steering arm

will see if i can get any pics of how steep it was

scottie
    Ill show you mine, if you show me yours lol

ive lightened this pic and you can just make it out

scottie