Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Value for money ?

Value for money ?

Is your rod /custom giving you value for money ? ie total up how much it cost you ,that's in money , hours and heartache Now, are you driving it enough to make that all worthwhile

I know rods /customs don't get used ( usually) as dailies but what's your average mileage during a year ?
    Galations 6:7

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kapri View Post
    Is your rod /custom giving you value for money ? ie total up how much it cost you ,that's in money , hours and heartache Now, are you driving it enough to make that all worthwhile

I know rods /customs don't get used ( usually) as dailies but what's your average mileage during a year ?
    from intial purchase price, through last years shows, a few quid here and there on new bits to today....i'd say it has been exceptional value for money for the fun that i got outta driving it last year

FG

normally i put in about 8000 miles worth of driving, this last year has been less due to other factors like trying to get another car on the road and not enough money to build and drive as much as I would like.

however IMO rods or rodding is not about value for money its about being able to enjoy whatever it is your in, if it puts a smile on your face and you chill out and have a bit of fun in it how can you put a price on it? money doesnt come into it.
    Last edited by weemark; 03-05-09 at 12:39 PM.

Your emotions will always interfere with your sense of truth

Images
    I think i get good value from my T but not for the last 2 seasons due to the rain 8-(, Got it out of the lockup yesterday and went the long way home 8-) It immediatly put a smile on my face shame i will have to sell it very soon
    Any advice or help given is actually based on having done the job, not read about doing it or Googling it.

www.langysrodshop.co.uk Our parts are air freighted so 5-7 day delivery, The best GRP Willys body available/Rebel Wirings only UK dealer/Speedway Motors authorised dealer/Summit racing/Jegs/Hotrod parts supplied, MAC Autos, We deal with all the US hotrod suppliers even non car related stuff.
    Brake,Oil & Fuel etc plumbing stockist/Totally Stainless fastener dealer/Dolphin Instrument dealer, LMC & Brothers Trucks,
    Stainless Exhaust tube & mandrel bends stockist

Normally manage about 4 to 5000 miles a year. For what it owes me plus usual running costs, for the 'Smiles per mile' it is priceless.

I don't drink- so argue that it probably costs me about the same as a bar tab, but has less hangovers and doesn't give me a beer belly.....LOL

If I didn't have it- not sure what I'd do- it is such a good 'escape' from the real world.

I have discussed this with motorbike owners at work- who have a very similar philosophy.
    Don't adjust your sets. Yes I have just been on the forum!

My Intro My Ride

The Truck owe's me over 10k, it comes out 4 times a week, rain or shine .... Thursday i drove it for the sake of it, Friday I drove it up to guildford to see nick grant and his very nice camero .... then we put some miles on both of them, yesturday just wen't out cus the sun was shinning ........ and in about half hour we're taking it down to lee-on-solent, to walk the dog ..... and hopefully meet a guy called Vic who wires up rods (mine is in need of a re-wire) ...... and will be out and about tomorrow ... not sure where yet though. ..... hopefully I can meet up with someone or other ?

Its not too bad on fuel, no road tax, seems to sail through mot's .....and touch wood its been very reliable ...... its £150 less to insure a year than my standard 1.2 (52 plate) vauxhall corsa .... go figure ???

Like you say can't put a price on not being a sheep !!

....oh yeah, and don't forget they don't depreciate like new cars ..... so can end up costing you nothing to use them ....

i.e - a 10k rod can fetch 10k (or more) 5 years down the line ...

They are very good value for money ... don't think many of us are millionaires

the T has only done around 6000 miles in 4 years and I dont feel it owes me a penny, the grin factor is soooo much!
    The van has only been on the road for a month or so and I drive it everyday for work, its now running on lpg so should be cheaper to run.
    I dont really care how much money I have in them they return more by being fun and different. Although I may well sell one of them later in the year...so I can do another!!
    been there , broke that!

As you know when driving a rod , the main question is how much did it cost to build? I alway give the same answer, " I haven't a clue, I didn't ad it up, it would scare me too much".

NSRA member
    Well, you could ask the question: do I smoke a pack of cigs a day, or build a hot rod? What's better value?

Because that was how it worked out financially when I built the Morris. £5 a day for two years.

I guess I had good value, as I've never smoked.

Anyway, I see it as a hobby, rather than an investment with a return, either as value for money in mileage, or return on a sale.
    Polygamy is having more wives than you really need.
    Monogamy is essentially much the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
    Well, you could ask the question: do I smoke a pack of cigs a day, or build a hot rod? What's better value?

Because that was how it worked out financially when I built the Morris. £5 a day for two years.

I guess I had good value, as I've never smoked.

Anyway, I see it as a hobby, rather than an investment with a return, either as value for money in mileage, or return on a sale.
    Paul, not really about the monetary value. It's more about after all the hours and heartbreak is it a thing of joy and pleasure or a monument to 'wasted' time ie if it's parked up more than driven was it worth doing ?

Kev , value for money ?

As you know mate , what price can you put on long-standing friendships ? ..... priceless.
    The look on grand-kids face`s when they go out in my humber.... priceless.
    I agree with klunk - 'for Smiles per mile' ...... priceless.

£££££ = free road tax + n.s.r.a. insurance is only 10 % of what my vectra taxi cost`s......bargain !!!!

NSRA member
    Quote Originally Posted by kapri View Post
    Paul, not really about the monetary value. It's more about after all the hours and heartbreak is it a thing of joy and pleasure or a monument to 'wasted' time ie if it's parked up more than driven was it worth doing ?
    Ah, I see what you mean Kev. Well, I really like the building as much as, or more, than the eventual driving, so I guess that skews the results a little.

My Morris was a hell of a disappointment first time I drove it, really was awful, and came close to being stripped for scrap after the first outing. But, I persevered and got it all sorted to the extent I loved just driving it around for the hell of it. Definitely worth the time, blood, sweat and tears that went into the build. I never should have sold it.

The latest bolide will hopefully be even more user-friendly, with lots more room and creature comfort.
    Polygamy is having more wives than you really need.
    Monogamy is essentially much the same thing.

Images
    Kev, will let you know when the car comes home in a week or so! LOL

Red face

Value of money? I've never thought of it like that. Tetanus is one of the family to me, sure sometimes it's the mad uncle that's locked up in the attic and other times it's the golden child, but it's staying and that's that!
    I think of every penny I've put into Tetanus as having been spent and not invested, ever hour I've spent on it as time away from my day to day worries and as such even if it never turns a wheel again and was only worth £10 I think it would still be great VFM.
    Chaley

Images
    Although mine's still in the garage the other half says i'm only happy if i have my fags, playing with old cars or being rude so looks like money well spent then

Value for money huh. I reckon getting into cars at 16, was the best thing i have ever done. Broken most of them for sure. Just keep on putting them back together again and again. The wealth of knowledge i have learned and am still learning, is very humbling. The people i have met over the years, friends i have made, is just priceless.

Ok so my T bucket might not be manys cup of tea. It hasnt cost me a fortune, its not shiney. The buzz i get from driving it in any weather is amazing. Its an instant trouble fixier. Life is getting harder and harder for most folk. As long as i can get home, take the bucket out for a ride, all my troubles just go away.

The feeling when riding with mates, or even people you havnt met yet, in Rods down the road. The feeling can be very emotional sometimes, the contentment is fantastic. Hard to put into words.

All in all, to sum up, as ive been waffleing. It is VALUE FOR MONEY in soo many ways.

Probably sound like a wally for sure, who cares. Just trying to get my point across.

Cheers Roland

You don't sound like a wally at all Ro. If only more people had that attitude towards their cars and life in general.

Value for money...never asked me the question!!
    For me it's important that - if I ever have to - sell the rod that I get more or less the "invested" money back. And if already written here: the time in and under the rod, with the kids, friends or alone is absolutely priceless!
    Had to sell my model A pick up to finance the sedan project... did not make or loose any money (without counting labour and "forgetting" about many small invoices and parts here or there!). It was a sad moment but the new owner is a good guy and I had a lot of fun with this little hauler! So it's a great hobby and that's what counts in my opinion.

Images
    This year will be 29 years on the road with the Pop after an initial outlay of £1400 !!! so i guess thats good value for money,along with the 19 years with the (+11 years stuck in the garage)Thames ,and now 7years use of the cortina,and i never spend what i can afford on them,so a bargain too
    Still enjoy driving them,though not so much these days due to too many idiots not looking where they are going.
    Still a buzz ariving at events and meeting up with people.

I find it hard to explain it to people though, that you spend all your spare time in a garage (often cold) to emerge with a car that mostly just gets used for the summer months,but how empty would the summmer be with out them ,eh.