Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: My build

Thanks for the kind words jon
    Last edited by the maxster; 09-11-11 at 09:31 PM. Reason: repeated

Images
    Blimey Marcel you have been on a mission !
    Just read all your posts after your question on the hemi. I just had to see what you were up to. Pop looked fantastic up until i saw the motor in the car, then it became triple fantastic ! Look forward to following along.
    Only problem i can see is... bigger pictures please so i can drool more easily !

Images
    Wow looking great there young man, cant have enough Hemis in the world. keep it up mate.
    Russ
    www.randrhotrodimports.co.uk
    IMPORTER OF AMERICAN CARS AND PARTS, SHIPPER OF PARTS, SPEEDWAY MOTORS DEALER/STOCKIST, BROOKVILLE DEALER, O'BRIEN TRUCKERS DEALER, CARS INC TRI CHEVY STOCKIST AND DEALER, . https://www.facebook.com/randrhotrodimports/
    ALL MAJOR CREDIT/DEBIT CARDS TAKEN

Thanks Paul , Russ.
    I'm not very good with computers and struggle to get the photos on that I do. I personally don't think there's much out there that has the same visual impact that the hemi has and you're right Russ there aint enough of them, parts might be a bit cheaper/more available if there was! Should finish the inlet this evening so hopefully more of an update later.
    cheers
    Marcel

Hi all, managed to get the inlet manifold welded, although a week late due to a problem with the unit. it's been acid cleaned and apart from finishing off the carb mounts, reshaping the manifold flange plates and a bit of polishing it's all done.
    I fitted the block hugger headers I picked up from the states to see how it all looked. The one thing I do realise is that the headers will foul the chassis rails, so I will use the flanges and the collector and re route the pipes to suit each side to avoid not only the rails but the steering, starter etc. I will tackle that job when I get the engine back in the car
    You might be able to see in the pictures that a piece of one of the engine mount lugs has broken off and was wondering if it is possible to repair? A motor plate was considered as an alternative but I want to mount the alternater low down at the rails so it would foul a motor plate.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by the maxster; 03-06-12 at 11:58 AM.

Just added a better photo of the damaged lug.
    Last edited by the maxster; 03-06-12 at 11:58 AM.

Images
    Have you got the broken bit Marcel ???

Quote Originally Posted by the maxster View Post
    Just added a better photo of the damaged lug.
    Any advice or help given is actually based on having done the job, not read about doing it or Googling it.

www.langysrodshop.co.uk Our parts are air freighted so 5-7 day delivery, The best GRP Willys body available/Rebel Wirings only UK dealer/Speedway Motors authorised dealer/Summit racing/Jegs/Hotrod parts supplied, MAC Autos, We deal with all the US hotrod suppliers even non car related stuff.
    Brake,Oil & Fuel etc plumbing stockist/Totally Stainless fastener dealer/Dolphin Instrument dealer, LMC & Brothers Trucks,
    Stainless Exhaust tube & mandrel bends stockist

Images
    If the lower lug could be used then the lower and the top one would be sufficient to support the motor IMHO. It may just be a matter of re-jigging the motor mount itself.

If it was me and I had the missing piece then there is no reason it couldn't be put back using an Arc and a cast stick, then a quick dress up. I doubt it would put enough heat in there to distort anything. I would still bring into play the lower lug though.

I'm sure that Steve will call it as he would do it, and bring his Tig set into the equation!

Sadly Steve, shaun I don't have the missing bit but if it could be rewelded I could most probably get a piece off another engine and grind the pieces to fit if that's possible.

Images
    To answer your question yes it can be welded Marcel.

Quote Originally Posted by the maxster View Post
    Sadly Steve, shaun I don't have the missing bit but if it could be rewelded I could most probably get a piece off another engine and grind the pieces to fit if that's possible.
    Any advice or help given is actually based on having done the job, not read about doing it or Googling it.

www.langysrodshop.co.uk Our parts are air freighted so 5-7 day delivery, The best GRP Willys body available/Rebel Wirings only UK dealer/Speedway Motors authorised dealer/Summit racing/Jegs/Hotrod parts supplied, MAC Autos, We deal with all the US hotrod suppliers even non car related stuff.
    Brake,Oil & Fuel etc plumbing stockist/Totally Stainless fastener dealer/Dolphin Instrument dealer, LMC & Brothers Trucks,
    Stainless Exhaust tube & mandrel bends stockist

Images
    I have some rods that will weld that Marcel.
    Layabout.

Cheers steve, that's the route I would like to take
    Thanks Paul i will give you a call at some point and maybe we can sort it. I need to sort out a piece froman old block first though.

A bit of an update but more to see if I can upload pictures taken from my new camera. As you can see my new polishing kit has been put to good use! Still a bit to go yet but it takes an age and I've now got tendonitis in my right arm from doing all the buffing (on the manifold) just waiting on some parts being machined for the engine then might get a bit more done.
    Marcel

That's got some shine on it Marcel, nice one. Keep it coming mate.

Cheers. Tim W.
    They say "life's a Crap Shoot" - Sure would be nice to have some Shoot for a change !!

My Pop My Intro

Cheers Tim. Things are a bit slow at the moment, I've a lot on at home and at work at the moment.As soon as things quieten down I'll be getting on with it.
    Marcel

Hi all,
    it's been a while but I have managed to sort out my steering column shroud. I've used a cortina ignition lock which is a bit more compact than the other fords that would fit my column. Even so I had to box it in but it turned out ok. I may put some of the switches in the box to make it look a bit more purposeful. I need to decide on the indicator as I might mount it elsewhere. I'm not sure whether to polish the whole thing or have a paint and polish combination. The lug on my block has been successfully repaired by Paul (Morris 460). Many thanks to him as he's done a brilliant job of it. We decided that it was my engine mounts that most probably broke it so now I'm making up some new ones in the style of the originals, more on those soon.
    Last edited by the maxster; 01-09-12 at 10:15 PM.

great work looks good

Images
    glad to see your progressing Marcel steering column looks good

Thanks Graham, Peter for the comment, they are always appreciated. Starting to get things together now. I need to get new exhaust seats fitted to the cylinder heads then the engine can be built. That'll be another milestone covered.

Looks good Marcel, it's all progress mate as long as your going forwards no matter how long it takes. Keep it coming.

Cheers. Tim W.
    They say "life's a Crap Shoot" - Sure would be nice to have some Shoot for a change !!

My Pop My Intro