Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: My build

Quote Originally Posted by the maxster View Post
    Hi Steve it's mounted on pucks and I'm not sure how much give there will be in them, so I may have to rule out mounting it on the frame, but cheers for the thought

Marcel you say pucks but do you mean they are proper hockey pucks, if so there will be virtually zero movement as they are extremely hard, If you meant they are early ford rubbers they won't take the weight of a hemi anyway. they will gradually squash outwards
    Any advice or help given is actually based on having done the job, not read about doing it or Googling it.

www.langysrodshop.co.uk Our parts are air freighted so 5-7 day delivery, The best GRP Willys body available/Rebel Wirings only UK dealer/Speedway Motors authorised dealer/Summit racing/Jegs/Hotrod parts supplied, MAC Autos, We deal with all the US hotrod suppliers even non car related stuff.
    Brake,Oil & Fuel etc plumbing stockist/Totally Stainless fastener dealer/Dolphin Instrument dealer, LMC & Brothers Trucks,
    Stainless Exhaust tube & mandrel bends stockist

you did know an alternator can be mounted backwards so the pulley is at the back and the main body is in front away from the engine? they work turning both ways.

Yes Steve they are actual hockey pucks, they do seem fairly solid, apparently they are what is used as the original mounts are non existant nowadays. I could mount it on the chassis with a bit of flex built in just in case? Hi Neil i did read on the forum that the alternator can work eather way. It could be the way to do it, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mygasser View Post
    you did know an alternator can be mounted backwards so the pulley is at the back and the main body is in front away from the engine? they work turning both ways.
    I've also mounted alternators backwards a few times,
    for those who've never done this be sure to apply some locktite to the nut that holds the pully on as when the pully turns in the opposite direction it will try to loosen the pully nut.

It's looking good Marcel, I'm sure you'll sort it mate.

Cheers. Tim W.
    They say "life's a Crap Shoot" - Sure would be nice to have some Shoot for a change !!

My Pop My Intro

Cheers Gary/ Tim, it hasn't beaten me yet!!

I managed to get a fair bit of time in the garage this weekend so i took the opportunity to refit the gear box cross member I remade with the hockey pucks to match the engine mounts instead of the poly ones i had made originally. I also re made the exhaust mounts so that the bobbins are in compression. All is done but it is a struggle to get it all in now as there is so little room. As can be seen I will be finishing the exhaust just before the rear arch.

I hope to get some where with the alternator position over the next week or so as I might see if I can get a narrower one before I go any further with it.

That is snug, looks good, nice work

Cheers John, snug it certainly is

Who needs space Marcel looks like your getting there mate. Keep it coming.

Cheers. Tim W.
    They say "life's a Crap Shoot" - Sure would be nice to have some Shoot for a change !!

My Pop My Intro

slowly but surely Tim, slowly but surely!
    cheers Marcel

Thos little nippon denso ones are great, i've had one on mine for 7 years, changed a diode pack (£13) other then that faultless, the secret is a bigger battery, you can have spare oomph from that, john

Cheers John, Still not 100% sure where to mount it yet but hope to have something sorted soon

decided to tackle the front brace. As i had said before I wanted to weld it in place which is what I did but then realized that I couldn't pull the front off in one piece to get the engine in or out as the ends were wider than the space between the A panels, doh!! So I've now cut the brace in to two and will use a spigot type of joint to bolt them together again. I thought it looked a bit plain, so made up the gussets just make it a bit more interesting. some of the welds are a bit messy as they were porous for some reason. I will re do them when I get the bars off again

I still need to sort the alternator mount out so that's next on the list
    Last edited by the maxster; 21-04-14 at 10:43 PM.

Looking good Marcel, man that's well tight in there mate. Keep it coming.

Cheers. Tim W.

My Pop My Intro

It certainly is Tim but then I always like a challenge! I managed an hour in the garage this evening so sorted out those dodgy looking welds. Any up dates on yours??

Quote Originally Posted by the maxster View Post
    It certainly is Tim but then I always like a challenge! I managed an hour in the garage this evening so sorted out those dodgy looking welds. Any up dates on yours??
    Nice one - I'm helping Amy on her Kitchen up-grade so no Pop time for about a fortnight mate.

Cheers. Tim W.

My Pop My Intro

I suppose a man's got to do what a man's got to do,. Mind you looking at the weather forecast for the next few days that may not be a bad thing?

any luck with the alternator yet

Hi Allan, sorry about the late reply but I've been out of action with my back again so I haven't been near the car. Still working out what sort of bracket to use at the moment. Hopefully I'll be back at it soon