Thread: 2k paint shopping list

Images

Question 2k paint shopping list

I have a few chassis repairs to localise and (following Langy's advice here - I can blame you for this, Steve ) also need to spray my rear drums and a few other bits.
    I plan to use 2 pack. The last time I sprayed this must have been about 10y ago when I used a garage's equipment, air fed mask, suit etc.

What I have: A compressor and a Devilbiss JGA (which I need to service first!).

What I need: Well, I'm not sure. I'm painting onto bare metal mainly, in a good sized garage with the doors open. So, from the start, what do I need??! I'm thinking: water traps / filters, bodysuit: type, mask: type (Langy you mentioned the short use ones (my compressor wouldn't stretch to air fed anyway)), stopper (for a few nicks and chips), paint (system - ?etch, primer / primer filler / topcoat, reducer, thinner, activator etc etc). I assume the paints would come with a manufacturer's guide to flash between coats and number of coats etc. I don't have access to infra red etc.

A list of specifics (including makes / preferences and if possible online suppliers) would be really useful.

I hope this thread may be of use to the archive (I did look to see if there were any threads like this but couldn't find any).

All help much appreciated. Christian.

Images
    Right Christian lets deal with safety first, I use a 3M short duration mask most of the time, Make sure you get the right one as there are 2 types (£15-20) if you can't find them I can send you one as i keep 2 instock, I use painters overalls which are washable around £20 a pair or get yourself some paper suits. wear gloves and put the hood on too.

A decent water trap/regulator is essential, I picked one up the other day off Ebay for £20
    The DeVillbiss JGA is a good gun, make sure its clean as.

Dealing with bare metal i wouldn't use etch primer Lechler Epoxy is so much better and you can fill on top of it so the metal is safely sealed, You can key it with 150 grit ready for hi build, If you get stuck finding Epoxy i can send you some.

Primer i use Lechler Green TI, havn't found anything better for the price.

Try and stick to the same brand and you shouldn't get any problems.

I rarely use straight colour preferring the basecoat & Lacquer method, again i use Lechler basecoat & Lechler Acrifan 2000 lacquer, sometimes i have trouble getting it and then use Max Meyer Maxiclear which is as good and is also a compliant lacquer so requires no thinner.
    You can pay stupid money for some of the big name brands but i find Lechler to be very reasonable pricewise and top quality, a mate of mine paints very high end cars and he use's Lechler products and has 2 trophys for best paint at Pebble Beach, If its good enough for him its ok for me

Filler i've always used it Upol Smooth 7 or Rage which is good but i've now changed to Upol Fantastic, It does what says on the tin

Best stopper i find is Plastic Padding but Topstop Gold is good also, another good product is Dolphin glaze.

Whenever you buy paint ask for the tech sheets although the info should also be on the tin, Hope this helps.
    Any advice or help given is actually based on having done the job, not read about doing it or Googling it.

www.langysrodshop.co.uk Our parts are air freighted so 5-7 day delivery, The best GRP Willys body available/Rebel Wirings only UK dealer/Speedway Motors authorised dealer/Summit racing/Jegs/Hotrod parts supplied, MAC Autos, We deal with all the US hotrod suppliers even non car related stuff.
    Brake,Oil & Fuel etc plumbing stockist/Totally Stainless fastener dealer/Dolphin Instrument dealer, LMC & Brothers Trucks,
    Stainless Exhaust tube & mandrel bends stockist

Images
    Christian what CFM is your compressor as i would strongly advise getting a HVLP gun if yours will run it as the overspray is drastically reduced. I picked up a HVLP gravity gun off Ebay for £25 to use for primer but its so good i've used it for topcoating
    Any advice or help given is actually based on having done the job, not read about doing it or Googling it.

www.langysrodshop.co.uk Our parts are air freighted so 5-7 day delivery, The best GRP Willys body available/Rebel Wirings only UK dealer/Speedway Motors authorised dealer/Summit racing/Jegs/Hotrod parts supplied, MAC Autos, We deal with all the US hotrod suppliers even non car related stuff.
    Brake,Oil & Fuel etc plumbing stockist/Totally Stainless fastener dealer/Dolphin Instrument dealer, LMC & Brothers Trucks,

Steve
    Where do you get your paint from?
    Cheers
    Al

Images
    Hi Steve, that's a very helpful post - thanks - it's helped to clarify what I need. (I should have kept that article in CC some months ago)! As a Dr, I'm particularly concerned about the safety aspect - I see too many ill people every day to take a chance becoming one of them. I've looked high and low on the web for some good info about these short duration masks (I assume you're talking about the 3M 6000 or 7500 series) but there is very little to be found. They also seem to come with different filter options, so that's even more confusing. The full facemask 7500 looks to be an interesting option - but pricey - £50+. What I don't want to do is go to the supplier's and have some space cadet who doesn't know his arse from his elbow sell me any old stuff so the more info I have re this, the better. By the way, my compressor will probably have trouble keeping up with the JGA let alone HVLP! It will manage about 25 seconds with the DA going full pelt before it starts to get behind.

NSRA member
    Images
    Hey Doc,
    i've used paints4u.com with great success. All the names Langy's mentioned. Dunno whether the prices are particularly good but I guess, like you, my opporunities to go to counters during working hours kinda limited so online works well for me - the prices seem ok though anyway.

Site has the datasheets too - the site isn't too great to navigate around - go to vehicle colours and another side bar comes up.

Chris
    Bumper sticker - This is an historic vehicle and only has three speeds....... if you don't like this one you sure as hell won't like the others.

A few years ago I bought a secondhand American mask called a Hobby Air which consisted of a pump that is left outside the workshop and the fresh air is pumped into a face mask. I bought it off EBay but unfortunately it packed up after a while.

Never seen another one over here but they are usefull bits of kit if your compressor doesn't supply clean air.

Images
    From a paint factors in Reading Al, I get good deals as it comes through my mates account as i don't use enough to get the deals.

Quote Originally Posted by als57 View Post
    Steve
    Where do you get your paint from?
    Cheers
    Al

Images
    As i said m8 got a spare here and i'm happy to post, will look at the number on it and let you know.
    If you only do small bits you could do them outside and still get a decent finish, still wear a mask though.

Quote Originally Posted by drscpe View Post
    Hi Steve, that's a very helpful post - thanks - it's helped to clarify what I need. (I should have kept that article in CC some months ago)! As a Dr, I'm particularly concerned about the safety aspect - I see too many ill people every day to take a chance becoming one of them. I've looked high and low on the web for some good info about these short duration masks (I assume you're talking about the 3M 6000 or 7500 series) but there is very little to be found. They also seem to come with different filter options, so that's even more confusing. The full facemask 7500 looks to be an interesting option - but pricey - £50+. What I don't want to do is go to the supplier's and have some space cadet who doesn't know his arse from his elbow sell me any old stuff so the more info I have re this, the better. By the way, my compressor will probably have trouble keeping up with the JGA let alone HVLP! It will manage about 25 seconds with the DA going full pelt before it starts to get behind.

Images
    Masks are 3M 06941. 4000 series.
    I pay £10 inc postage for mine, which is a good price, normally about £16.

Steve,
    are your washable overalls fitted with hoods? if so where do you get them from?

Lechler epoxy primer is available from www.colorite.co.uk and they can post - at a price.

Its actually cheaper from http://www.metalflake.co.uk/ and they supply lechlar topcoats as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackpopracing View Post

Steve,

Lechler epoxy primer is available from www.colorite.co.uk and they can post - at a price.

Its actually cheaper from http://www.metalflake.co.uk/ and they supply lechlar topcoats as well.
    Thanks for the links....
    Al

Images
    Yes Mark they have a hood, Get mine from Reading paints. Those masks are cheap, have you got a link ?

Steve,

Images

Smile

Thanks for all the info everyone - really useful. Langy, I'll have that mask if I can't find one - but I'll look first to save you the hassle of posting it - I'm sure you're busy enough building cars, and on here when you're having a cuppa n ciggy!

Images
    No problem Christian let me know, Yeah very busy plus trying to finish my car for Billing but as usual spanners are getting in the works LOL

Quote Originally Posted by drscpe View Post
    Thanks for all the info everyone - really useful. Langy, I'll have that mask if I can't find one - but I'll look first to save you the hassle of posting it - I'm sure you're busy enough building cars, and on here when you're having a cuppa n ciggy!

Images
    Got them off Ebay Steve, got 6 as a job lot, but dont know if the guy has any more.
    Do reading paints do mail order? got a link?

Images
    Don't know Mark i get them through my mate.

Got them off Ebay Steve, got 6 as a job lot, but dont know if the guy has any more.
    Do reading paints do mail order? got a link?

Images
    I'd like a set if you could get me two?

Images
    I think they were £25 a pair Mark, I will ask tomorrow.

I'd like a set if you could get me two?

Images
    Cheers Steve, sounds good to me if you would not mind getting some for me? size medium I guess.

NSRA member

mask e bay

3M 4000 SERIES / PART NO 06941 SPRAY MASK

£11.25 + £4 p/p