Thread: Wiring a lucas 2-speed/park,wiper ?????

Wiring a lucas 2-speed/park,wiper ?????

I am at the end of my tether,i cannot mount my wiper spindles on my truck until i have established the position of neutral for the arms,and to do this i need to power up the wiper on the bench.The wiper motor is the lucas twin-speed with park,it has three wires visible on the outside,on the plastic plug it has 5 male contacts,one at 12 oclock horizontal,the rest 8,11,2 and 5 oclock vertical,can anybody help ?? john.
    If your auntie's got a willie,it's your uncle !!

on the links page, SVC have a wiring diagram in the wipers section, may help.

You need a special switch to work the two speed wiper motor as well or put it through relays. I had to track this info down a while back and just used Google on how to wire. Pretty sure it was an MGB site ( or Midget) that gave the details?
    Galations 6:7

Galations 6:7

Thanks for that Kev,i'd actually found that via google earlier today,i tested it,no joy,it still did'nt seem to go into park and on the 2nd speed teriminal,sparked as if it was an earth,i'm gonna try again tommorrow,failing that,i'll contact SVC and buy a switch,as long as it a pull or turn type.

Kev,i wired it up as the instructions from that site,then tested it,when the slow speed is conected to live it then returns to park,so that works.Then i tested the other wire,it sparked a little,but when both the wires were joined together,then connected to live,that then made the fast speed work and return to park when disconected (as there is a permenant liveto the wiper)so i now gonna need a switch that will be 3 position,1=off,2=live on one,and 3=live on one and two (maybe a headlight switch),i did not get a call back from SVC. I am posting this information,in case it helps other people if they also have this problem,John.

NSRA member
    I was trying to wire up a Rover SD1 rear wiper motor a while back. There were two havy wires, red and black, and two smaller ones. The heavy wires made it run when 12V was applied, but connecting the others anywhere just made sparks.

I gave up, but thinking back to it I'm guessing the small wires came from the 'park' switch, and would activate a relay that would switch power on/off to the heavy wires as required. Does that sound right?
    Polygamy is having more wives than you really need.
    Monogamy is essentially much the same thing.

Paul,sounds as if that was what was happening to me,what i've decided to do is wire it up as the diagram,but only use the slow speed,that way i know it will work and return via park,with no sparks !.

Thumbs up two speed wipers

Quote Originally Posted by mike noble View Post
    on the links page, SVC have a wiring diagram in the wipers section, may help.
    Here you go, http://www.s-v-c.co.uk/prod_wipers.html
    you'll need one of svc two speed switches, I farked around with this problem for ages till I found this, now they work a treat - both speeds

Have a look at this page for two speed Lucas wiper wiring http://millpower-race-engineering.pi...=43218292&cr=5 scroll right down once you've clicked it. Shows how to wire two speed with self park without needing the special (very modern looking) switch.

Stuart.
    I've mended lots of things that had turned out not to be foolproof!

My intro

Images
    Stuart, a couple of the pics on that page don't display (at least not to me): the Lucas OPUS one and the wiper one. Can't click "Show picture" as it just links back to your home page, or says to contact you if I want to save it.
    Sent from my Kitchen Table using a little box full of smoke and dangerous radio waves

Shine is Fine

The diagram

The diagram is definitely up on the site OK. Could have been a temporary problem with your connection or the hosting, anyway, here it is.

Explanation of how this works is on my website here along with this diagram. http://millpower-race-engineering.pi...=43218292&cr=5

Stuart.

My intro

Images
    That one doesn't show on here either - just a red X! The two alternator diagrams and the ammeter one show, but not the others. I'll check again at home tonight.
    Sent from my Kitchen Table using a little box full of smoke and dangerous radio waves

Shine is Fine

Images
    I can see it Andy, how about now ???

Quote Originally Posted by rem View Post
    That one doesn't show on here either - just a red X! The two alternator diagrams and the ammeter one show, but not the others. I'll check again at home tonight.
    Any advice or help given is actually based on having done the job, not read about doing it or Googling it.

www.langysrodshop.co.uk Our parts are air freighted so 5-7 day delivery, The best GRP Willys body available/Rebel Wirings only UK dealer/Speedway Motors authorised dealer/Summit racing/Jegs/Hotrod parts supplied, MAC Autos, We deal with all the US hotrod suppliers even non car related stuff.
    Brake,Oil & Fuel etc plumbing stockist/Totally Stainless fastener dealer/Dolphin Instrument dealer, LMC & Brothers Trucks,
    Stainless Exhaust tube & mandrel bends stockist

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Lang View Post
    I can see it Andy, how about now ???
    Yup. Can see that fine, thanks, Steve.

EDIT: Well, I could see them all at home, and now today at work - yes, can see still see them all. Technology, eh?
    Last edited by rem; 18-08-09 at 08:30 AM.

Shine is Fine

NSRA member
    Would this be the same system the above wiring diagram is for? I just bought a Landrover wiper and this is apparently the plug for it. The wire colours seem to match. I haven't seen it yet though, still stuck offshore.

The switch could be a simple twin throw I guess, rather than some rotary device.

Paul,
    Yes the "Lucas multiplug" in my diagram is the same as the one you have put up.

Stuart.

My intro

NSRA member
    Quote Originally Posted by stueeee View Post
    Paul,
    Yes the "Lucas multiplug" in my diagram is the same as the one you have put up.

Stuart.
    Cool, that makes life easier.

I was so close to blowing £150 on a 'proper' kit car wiper system and switch, then this Landy one came along and cost a quarter of that.