Thread: Oil breather tank

Oil breather tank

Evening and a Happy New Year to you all.

First techie question in a while so hopefully I will get a swift reply!

Went to install the new PCV on the Pumpkin today and ran into a problem straight away.

The 1" spacer I purchased to put under the carb brings the air filter very, very, very close to the bonnet. In fact so close that it actually touches.

Bollox.

Therefore I want to use a oil breather tank and mount it on the firewall to collect the oil rather than the nice rocker covers.

Question is though how?

Is it simply a matter of finding a suitable tank and a pipe from the breather cap on the rocker cover?

Do I have to have a breather on the top of the tank?

Is it sufficient to have just one breather on the engine with this set up?

Is there another way I can run a PCV?

And talking of suitable tanks any ideas?

Thanks in advance

P.

Paul, firstly what about a dropped base air cleaner?

Secondly I just have an over flow catch can with a -8 AN T fitting screwed into the side. This fitted to both valve covers. A small valve empties any oil caught in there. This is more of a breather system than a PCV (positive crankcase ventillation) system as there is no vacumn to help equalise the pressure in the sump.

It can be seen here with a K&N filter on top mounted to the rad.
    http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2107...83006433rbduXY
    1955-56-57 Chevy new and used parts always available from www.randrhotrodimports.co.uk

make sure the tank is properly vented, you'll blow out seals if you get positive crankcase pressure. The K&N breather filters look nice but put an oily film over everything in time. I'd run an evac down to the collector personally but I don't know how MOT friendly this is.

Images
    Paul what carb are you running as it should have a port to connect to already.
    All a breather tank will do is just catch fumes emitted from the engine, A PCV system is so much better.
    Any advice or help given is actually based on having done the job, not read about doing it or Googling it.

www.langysrodshop.co.uk Our parts are air freighted so 5-7 day delivery, The best GRP Willys body available/Rebel Wirings only UK dealer/Speedway Motors authorised dealer/Summit racing/Jegs/Hotrod parts supplied, MAC Autos, We deal with all the US hotrod suppliers even non car related stuff.
    Brake,Oil & Fuel etc plumbing stockist/Totally Stainless fastener dealer/Dolphin Instrument dealer, LMC & Brothers Trucks,
    Stainless Exhaust tube & mandrel bends stockist