Thread: where do these RV8 pipes go???

where do these RV8 pipes go???

Hi All,

This being my first Rover P6 auto V8, there are a couple of pipes that I don't know what to do with. They start at the auto gearbox and end near the oil pump but obviously should fix to something that I don't have. Should there be a cooler or something like that. i've searched the Haynes manual but can't find any reference. Thanks in advance.

auto pipes 1.jpg

yep,they go to the oil cooler,there's a pricey one on ebay at the mo,
    you could try Real Steel/v8tuner/rimmer bros or a 'bearmach' supplier,some where like that.

Would a standard Mocal type oil cooler do or does it have to be a specific type?

Ta very much.

NSRA member
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelie View Post
    Would a standard Mocal type oil cooler do or does it have to be a specific type?

Ta very much.
    I've just used a standard type 13 row car oil cooler, probably meant for engine oil but it does the trick well enough.
    Polygamy is having more wives than you really need.
    Monogamy is essentially much the same thing.

I had a P6 3500-S for a while. I'm not convinced that a cooler is neccesary on a P6. Certainly, MGR decided that it was unneccesary when they produced the RV8 in the mid 90's.

Any auto will benefit from a cooler JC. Whilst not essential for normal use keepin an auto cool will extend it's life considerably. It doesn't take much of a temp rise ( about 25C from memory ? ) to half the life of a box!.
    Galations 6:7

yup oil cooler, tho you can just loop a pipe at the end for the time being until a suitable cooler turns up at the right price (the oil going thru the 2 long pipes will have some cooling effect anyway)

Images
    I presume your talking about Engine cooler as the 3500-S was a manual wasn't it, The others are talking about Trans coolers.

Quote Originally Posted by JC. View Post
    I had a P6 3500-S for a while. I'm not convinced that a cooler is neccesary on a P6. Certainly, MGR decided that it was unneccesary when they produced the RV8 in the mid 90's.
    Any advice or help given is actually based on having done the job, not read about doing it or Googling it.

www.langysrodshop.co.uk Our parts are air freighted so 5-7 day delivery, The best GRP Willys body available/Rebel Wirings only UK dealer/Speedway Motors authorised dealer/Summit racing/Jegs/Hotrod parts supplied, MAC Autos, We deal with all the US hotrod suppliers even non car related stuff.
    Brake,Oil & Fuel etc plumbing stockist/Totally Stainless fastener dealer/Dolphin Instrument dealer, LMC & Brothers Trucks,
    Stainless Exhaust tube & mandrel bends stockist

Images
    Spot on steve i was just about to add it .... as far as i'm concerned auto box = cooler, why take the chance?

Images
    Absolutely John, No cooler will shorten the life of an Auto dramatically.

From TCI

There's More To Coolers Than You Think: It's no secret that heat kills automatic transmissions. And in high-performance street-strip applications, the problem is especially acute. Small diameter torque converters coupled with stop-and-go traffic greatly increase the heat level in an automatic transmission. In most cases, the extra performance heat under the hood can have the same effect as heavy loads, trailer towing and desert conditions.

How hot is too hot? The ideal operating temperature for automatic transmission fluid is between 175 and 225° F. At approximately 240° F, important additives in the ATF begin to cook. The result is the formation of varnish inside the transmission. At approximately 260° F, internal transmission seals (which are typically manufactured from a polyacrylate material) begin to harden. The end results are leaks, both internal and external, simply because the seals lose their elasticity. At approximately 295° F, transmission clutch plates begin to slip because the oil is breaking down further. At approximately 315° F, seals and clutches effectively burn out. Carbon forms in the oil and for all intents and purposes, the transmission is junk. Just for your information, a typical transmission will die within 2000 miles if subjected to 300° F+ heat.
    Any advice or help given is actually based on having done the job, not read about doing it or Googling it.

www.langysrodshop.co.uk Our parts are air freighted so 5-7 day delivery, The best GRP Willys body available/Rebel Wirings only UK dealer/Speedway Motors authorised dealer/Summit racing/Jegs/Hotrod parts supplied, MAC Autos, We deal with all the US hotrod suppliers even non car related stuff.
    Brake,Oil & Fuel etc plumbing stockist/Totally Stainless fastener dealer/Dolphin Instrument dealer, LMC & Brothers Trucks,

Thanks lads, something else new learnt there.

There is also a plastic vent pipe running up alonside the oil filler tube, is it just a vent pipe?

Do you need to have a temperature guage as well, or do you just hope the cooler is cooling?

I've realised how basic Haynes manuals are.

Wheelie.

Images
    There's no way you will over cool an Auto, You can use any cooler but the Mocal coolers for engines have a 1/2" fitting, This can be adapted down with an adaptor so no big problem really, Mocal coolers for Auto's come with 3/8" fittings.

English auto's use mainly 5/16" pipes and U.S. use 3/8".

if you get stuck PM me as i keep most adaptors in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelie View Post
    Thanks lads, something else new learnt there.

There is also a plastic vent pipe running up alonside the oil filler tube, is it just a vent pipe?

Do you need to have a temperature guage as well, or do you just hope the cooler is cooling?

I've realised how basic Haynes manuals are.

Wheelie.

Images
    Yep it's just a vent pipe, leave it where it is

Images
    Temp gauge is not needed but if you want one do so, but it needs to be plumbed in to the right line, I also fit an external filter for ease of maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by langy View Post
    I presume your talking about Engine cooler as the 3500-S was a manual wasn't it, The others are talking about Trans coolers.
    Yes, the "S" was indeed a manual. Appologies, I should have clarified. I do not think an ENGINE OIL cooler is neccesary.
    Completely aggree that a transmission cooler is essential.

Appologies.

Images
    Wheelie, I've an oil cooler that might suit your needs. I'll photograph it & post it here after the holiday.

Images
    Wheelie, the cooler is provisionally sold.
    Last edited by Koops; 01-01-08 at 08:32 PM.

Hey Koops,

Thanks for the offer, but I found one lurking in the loft.

Ady

Images
    No probs., good coolin'!