Thread: Centre finder punch

Question Centre finder punch

As mentioned in the chassis article in CC where can I get a centre finder punch (ain't got any good engineering suppliers in my area and a google only turned up centre finders or centre punches).
    Can anyone point me in the right direction please?
    Located at the end of the motorway.....not the end of the World....

MyIntro.

I'm assuming that you want to mark the centre of something round accurately? If so I would use a centre square and then an optical punch like the one on this page rather than the centre finder type of punch with a funnel shaped widget on the bottom.
    http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/cgi-local/...TP_2e_2e_2e_2e
    Chronos are a good supplier of engineering stuff in general, Their online catalogue is worth a browse IMHO. usual disclaimer applies -I'm only a customer of theirs.

Stuart.
    Last edited by stueeee; 05-01-10 at 08:01 PM.
    I've mended lots of things that had turned out not to be foolproof!

My intro

Images
    Ceri you can use an optical centre punch (expensive) or look for Transfer punches (cheap)
    You can find both on the Chronos site, I also use them and they are excellent.
    Any advice or help given is actually based on having done the job, not read about doing it or Googling it.

www.langysrodshop.co.uk Our parts are air freighted so 5-7 day delivery, The best GRP Willys body available/Rebel Wirings only UK dealer/Speedway Motors authorised dealer/Summit racing/Jegs/Hotrod parts supplied, MAC Autos, We deal with all the US hotrod suppliers even non car related stuff.
    Brake,Oil & Fuel etc plumbing stockist/Totally Stainless fastener dealer/Dolphin Instrument dealer, LMC & Brothers Trucks,
    Stainless Exhaust tube & mandrel bends stockist

Transfer punch ain't going to give you the centre though is it? Mine are rounds, no points.

Images
    Ross i was under the impression Ceri wanted to copy some holes, maybe i have it wrong, If he does the transfer punches i got will do the job as they have points.

Quote Originally Posted by ross@rmrrestorations View Post
    Transfer punch ain't going to give you the centre though is it? Mine are rounds, no points.
    Any advice or help given is actually based on having done the job, not read about doing it or Googling it.

www.langysrodshop.co.uk Our parts are air freighted so 5-7 day delivery, The best GRP Willys body available/Rebel Wirings only UK dealer/Speedway Motors authorised dealer/Summit racing/Jegs/Hotrod parts supplied, MAC Autos, We deal with all the US hotrod suppliers even non car related stuff.
    Brake,Oil & Fuel etc plumbing stockist/Totally Stainless fastener dealer/Dolphin Instrument dealer, LMC & Brothers Trucks,
    Stainless Exhaust tube & mandrel bends stockist

Transfer punches will give you the centre if you use the right size - very easy to use, just clamp the parts together and choose the correct punches.

Images
    Depends what you're trying to find the centre of, doesn't it? The centre of the end of a piece of bar? The centre of a hole in something? The centre of a piece of round tube (drilling at 90*)?
    Sent from my Kitchen Table using a little box full of smoke and dangerous radio waves

Shine is Fine

Thanks all for the replies - sorry for the delay in replying but got sidetracked on the chronos site - very interesting, could spend far too much on there on things that I probably would not have the knowledge to use properly
    What I was interested in was what was being used in the CC article which from the picture is I now understand is a transfer punch (assume the sleeve in the photo placed in one of the wheel's lug holes was because the hole was bigger than the biggest punch available?)
    No doubt the optical punches are better but at between about £25 and £45 probably more than I really need to spend for my needs.
    Regarding the transfer punches though the set is nearly £40 but what about the £5ish ones that cover a range of sizes - are these any good?

MyIntro.

I got an metric and imperial set off the net, they were about a tenner each including delivery, very good.

Found these-
    http://www.mscjlindustrial.co.uk/cgi/insrhm
    Last edited by Dave Lowe; 09-01-10 at 08:19 PM.

Thanks Dave but the ones on your link are more expensive than Chronosdon't suppose you remember where you got yours?
    The reason I asked was Steve said they were cheap (or at least cheaper than the optical punch) and now you mention £10 so the nearly £40 set seemed a lot. Did a quick google search but it only turned up one cheaper set but it is up to 13mm or 1/2" ( http://www.modelmakingsupplies.co.uk/tools-2.htm )but that may be better for my needs and it's only £7.50

MyIntro.