Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The doctor calls...

Images

The doctor calls...

I have finally managed to get Sandras (wifey) pop in for a shed load of work. So lets meet the patient

It's a fairly poorly patient, the main problem being heart disease. Lets have a look at that poorly heart.

For those not familiar with that ancient piece of British engineering, it's a Triumph Herald 1296(ish). As you can image, it's pretty gutless. And knackered. One of Henry's fine twin cams and five speed have been donated by a dying example.
    The Gaffa tape is the result of already doing some prep work a while back. The master cylinders have been moved right over and the pedals cranked. Also the bulkhead was cut at the same time.
    Other issues are to try and sort the appalling Ackermann on the stock Triumph frontend (the outside wheel turns more than the inside one, that was stock from the factory!) and also the bumpsteer issues (another triumph of Triumph engineering!).
    Back end is stock Herald as well, that's going. Anglia on a four bar to go in.

That's it for now, we'll revisit intensive care ASAP.
    Last edited by Morris460; 31-07-15 at 08:43 PM.
    Layabout.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Morris460 View Post

One of Henry's fine twin cams and five speed have been donated by a dying example.
    So,does that mean the patient is going to receive an injection Paul

Lots to do ,but sounds like it will a lot better for it.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Scarlet View Post
    So,does that mean the patient is going to receive an injection Paul
    More than likely

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Scarlet View Post
    Lots to do ,but sounds like it will a lot better for it.
    Yes it wll. Poor old thing has been in daily use for two years and really needed work bfore she started using it. It has never let her down though.
    Layabout.

what do you think the recovery time will be look forward to visiting the patient on here for updates

get well soon
    Adie
    Last edited by cossie pop; 09-02-10 at 11:31 PM. Reason: spelling

Cool, has it got seat belts yet???

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gettinonabitmore View Post
    Cool, has it got seat belts yet???
    Part of the recovery process
    Layabout.

Images

Todays carnage!

Got stuck in today. The wings were bolted on with the longest bolts possible, which had then rusted solid. I had to take a cutting disc to every one. The engine is totally disconnected and ready to lift out first thing tommorrow.

Took the seats out and the heater, then removed the gearbox tunnel to get at the gearbox mounts etc.

What a mess
    Thats it for today, off to work for a rest now!
    Last edited by Morris460; 31-07-15 at 08:46 PM.
    Layabout.

Thumbs up

Thats a good day in the garage Morris,you deserve a rest!

Is this the Pop built on a Herald chassis? My Anglia has a Spitfire 1500 and overdrive gearbox on a boxed original chassis. The master cylinders and steering column look just like the way I did mine.

Images
    Nice progress Paul

Images

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by my53anglia View Post
    Is this the Pop built on a Herald chassis? My Anglia has a Spitfire 1500 and overdrive gearbox on a boxed original chassis. The master cylinders and steering column look just like the way I did mine.
    Yes, it's a Herald chassis and running gear. The pop chassis is still there up to the front herald body mount. I do have a phone number for the guy that built it but have never contacted him.

Chris/John, thanks for the encouragement
    Layabout.

Images

Unhappy The sticky man called...

Well, engines out and dumped in the drive , prop and exhaust out and lots of little bit. Started to remove the floor. Who in the name of all that's hotrod would put a floor in with self tappers, c'sunk screws and nuts and GRIPFIL
    It's everywhere. The self tappers are solid embedded in it. I've had to use a disc cutter on all of them and drill out the screws.
    Still, it's more progress
    Last edited by Morris460; 31-07-15 at 08:46 PM.
    Layabout.

GRIPFIL
    Everyone knows you have to use "Sticks like ****"

Good work there, keep at it.

Chaley

I agree, I wouldn't have wasted the self tappers, Gripfil is good enough by itself.
    Galations 6:7

Images

Another good day

Got on really well again today. Got all of Mr. Sticky's floor out and then cleared up the debris. Cut the bulkhead where I had measured (guessed) I would need to. Then offered the big block in.

I know the engine looks a mess but it still has all the electronics connected (not felt that brave yet!) and some of the associated crap.
    Once sat in as best it would there were two areas that are a problem.

The starter motor an dbell housing get a bit cosy with the chassis here

And the clutch lever gets adjacent here.

Also the mid point crossmember is right where the gearbox output shaft wants to be (and the large damper), as can be seen below.

The engine is back out and the required notches cut. It fits very nicely now. I have a plan for putting the strength back after the hacking. The area I thought would give me grief was the big and ugly Triumph suspension turrets but it all clears nicely.
    Last edited by Morris460; 31-07-15 at 08:52 PM.
    Layabout.

Images
    seems like the gripfill has lasted well since in the 11 years since it was built!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats the reason the herald chassis was modded in the mk1 stage in mine Paul, they are just too narrow where you want them to be wide...

I cut mine just where the start to curve in, and swapped them side to side to make a big hole in the middle...

Then found it to be too rotten, and made one out of 4x2...!!!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hershambob View Post
    seems like the gripfill has lasted well since in the 11 years since it was built!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It's all lasted well (especially the Gripfil), the chassis is all good apart from the n/s front outrigger and the body is needing a few small repairs.

Guy, it's a fairly easy mod I'm doing on the chassis (I'll put it here of course). There's been some biggish engines put in Spitfires in the past. My front suspension mods will be interesting!
    Layabout.

hi m8, so is this a full on project or a tidy up ?

Quote Originally Posted by Morris460 View Post
    It's all lasted well (especially the Gripfil), the chassis is all good apart from the n/s front outrigger and the body is needing a few small repairs.

Guy, it's a fairly easy mod I'm doing on the chassis (I'll put it here of course). There's been some biggish engines put in Spitfires in the past. My front suspension mods will be interesting!

Let me know on the suspension mods, I know mine is now 4 inches narrower, but after the 'run out' it had some serious negative camber...

I know the tracking hasn't been done, but the front wheels looked like this / \ !!!

p.s gimme a shout if you need a prop sorting...