Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My new project:Model A Roadster pickup

NSRA member

My new project:Model A Roadster pickup

No sooner has my last project gone than I have replaced it with this, a glass shell. Comes with doors, rad surround and dash:

It will be coming along with us to the Philippines later this month, and I shall start it as soon as I can get settled and find a workshop/car port/lean to/coconut tree to work under.

I've a contact in the USA who can ship stuff over there for a good price, so in the course of time I hope to build something to be proud of.

I'll remain a member of the NSRA as well, support the action back home.
    Polygamy is having more wives than you really need.
    Monogamy is essentially much the same thing.

Good man all the best for your travel and relocation

Thats what this looked like once Paul

Any advice or help given is actually based on having done the job, not read about doing it or Googling it.

www.langysrodshop.co.uk Our parts are air freighted so 5-7 day delivery, The best GRP Willys body available/Rebel Wirings only UK dealer/Speedway Motors authorised dealer/Summit racing/Jegs/Hotrod parts supplied, MAC Autos, We deal with all the US hotrod suppliers even non car related stuff.
    Brake,Oil & Fuel etc plumbing stockist/Totally Stainless fastener dealer/Dolphin Instrument dealer, LMC & Brothers Trucks,
    Stainless Exhaust tube & mandrel bends stockist

NSRA member
    After a lot of faffing about, I've finally actually made some progress.

I glassed a plywood floor into the body, and re-attached the rear half to the front, after it was rent asunder for shipping:

My old racing buddy loaned me a mock up 350/350 combo, and a tunnel ram. Lodged 'em together to see what they look like and to work out where to cut for clearance. That air filter is hideous.

I cut out the floor to clear the motor. No room for size 13 boots in there, I fear. The tranny tunnel will need to be pretty close fitting to leave as much foot room as possible.

I've scored an unlimited supply of 40 x 80 x 3 box section from a local scrap man, basically brand new steel, but painted white for some abandoned project.

The rails were sliced at the rear to tweak 'em in a couple of inches. I never thought this out properly and put too fat a cut in, with the chopsaw. Here is my 'bender and tweaker' apparatus, to ease each one into line:

I took my jigsaw to the front ends, to have a go at that tubular thing so many people do. Seems to have worked so far, just got to do a little hammering and welding some time:

I'm going for a bit of a cartoony look, so the motor will sit rather high in the chassis, and I decided to make everything sit above chassis rail height. Thus I marked the shape out on the billiard table flat garage floor in pen. The roads here are abysmal in places, with huge speed bumps of random size and shape, thus I'm opting for a minimum 6" under the lowest point of the car.

My buddy forced a pair of huge Mickey Thompson 14" wife tyres on me too, but I already have wheels and tyres, so they may be put to one side for a rainy day.

I've scored a 9" rear axle too, just the right width, but it needs new bearings. 3:0 ratio as well, so it should be okay behind a TH350 in a light car like this.

Good progress Paul, not too sure about that bamboo steering wheel tho

NSRA member
    Gotta go local occasionally John, keep the overheads down.

Exuse me asking Paul but why are you tapering the rails from just in front of the kickup ???
    Any advice or help given is actually based on having done the job, not read about doing it or Googling it.

www.langysrodshop.co.uk Our parts are air freighted so 5-7 day delivery, The best GRP Willys body available/Rebel Wirings only UK dealer/Speedway Motors authorised dealer/Summit racing/Jegs/Hotrod parts supplied, MAC Autos, We deal with all the US hotrod suppliers even non car related stuff.
    Brake,Oil & Fuel etc plumbing stockist/Totally Stainless fastener dealer/Dolphin Instrument dealer, LMC & Brothers Trucks,

NSRA member
    If they run parallel they can only be 26" wide overall, the width at the front of firewall, so it seemed logical to have them wider at the rear, spread the rear suspension a bit. I'll be using a triangulated four bar, which will run straight to the back of the frame rail on the bottom.

I'm hoping it doesn't cause any major obstacles.....

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Lang View Post
    Exuse me asking Paul but why are you tapering the rails from just in front of the kickup ???

26" is ok, Tapering from there make's it awkward without a jig as every bracket/x member would have to be angle cut, parralell rails would be easier and then taper from the firewall, Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
    If they run parallel they can only be 26" wide overall, the width at the front of firewall, so it seemed logical to have them wider at the rear, spread the rear suspension a bit. I'll be using a triangulated four bar, which will run straight to the back of the frame rail on the bottom.

I'm hoping it doesn't cause any major obstacles.....

Flying start!!! You can't keep a good man down. Workshop looks OK.

NSRA member
    Steve, I did my Morris with parallel rails, and it just seemed so narrow at the rear for getting suspension mounted, fuel tank it etc. I even fixed the four bar brackets to the outside of the frame rails to try and get some 'depth' to it all. I hear what you're saying about all the tabs and brackets having to be at an angle. I'm trying to make it a real 'bare bones' build though, so, learning curve here we come.

Geoff, the workshop is about 12' x 14', but I've filled it with junk already, stifling myself. I'm too eager to get building to tidy it as I go. I spent the first six months of the year doing 'family stuff' so I'm keen to get back into action.

NSRA member
    My nine incher:

£100 deposit for the bottles, no annual rent, acetylene refill is £5, oxygen is £10. Can't be bad. Better than the £60 a year rent on each small bottle I had in the UK.

NSRA member
    Images

Thumbs up Wheels Day Plaque

Great to see a Wheels Day Plaque on your garage door just to remind you of the snow and rain!
    Next years design is awsome and we have booked the sun so you may find the rest of the world will be wet Good Friday 2011 cos' we booked the sun first!

NSRA member
    Quote Originally Posted by Back Yard Blues View Post
    Great to see a Wheels Day Plaque on your garage door just to remind you of the snow and rain!
    Next years design is awsome and we have booked the sun so you may find the rest of the world will be wet Good Friday 2011 cos' we booked the sun first!
    It's been in my toolbox for ages, just waiting for somewhere to stick it up, but even now it is just wedged there temporarily. One day it will get a permanent location.

I hope the car will be finished by Wheels Day, but then again, it might not really be practical to get it there. Is there a long distance award?

Go by sea to Hong Kong, from there to Bejing and then follow the Silk Route; onto Kyrgyzstan, through Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan then across the Caspian Sea by ferry into Azerbaijan, through Georgia, Turkey, Brindisi Ferry and then drive through Europe.

Around 5000 miles and would probably take 3 months - but what a trip in a car you'd built. I felt great driving the trike to Rome so this would be the trip of a lifetime.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Back Yard Blues View Post
    Martin i think you have to mutch time on your hands

NSRA member
    Engine plate in progress:

Triangulated four bar in position, with temporary gash square tube links:

A bit of diagonal stiffness added:

My attempt at 'frilling it up'

I took a load of piccies before I left home, but left them on the camera, at home. Progress has actually moved a little bit further since the pics above. The back end is up on wheels and rolling along, engine and tranny are in, front of the chassis is all rolled over and welded. All I need is a front axle and a steering wheel, and we're done.

That tunnel ram has gone back to its owner, as he wanted $1000 for it!!! I shall think about putting my 6/71 blower on it, or probably just a Performer manifold and an Edelbrock 600 carb for now.

Last edited by Paul B; 03-10-10 at 10:48 PM.

NSRA member
    I've discovered the 'paint' on the box section is powder-coat, so that is going to be fun to remove.

Just 30 feet away is wild jungle full of creepy crawlies and snakes and stuff.

Shaping up nicely Paul and that front end setup looks ideal for those tight parking spaces

NSRA member
    More progress:

Mounting the Corvair steering box, requires an angled oddball bracket, cut from 3/8 steel:

Looks like it'll work. The small hole is so I can run a brake line along the chassis rail. Forward thinking, for once....

Tacked in place, Pitman arm end lines up exactly with the hairpin end: good geometry. Clearances look a little tight between the various links, but at ride height it is all good. A little heating and tweaking of the steering arm may be required, but not much.

I rose jointed the cut off Model A hairpins, inserts and joints from http://www.Summitracing.com

Cleared away all the rubbish, blocks of wood, trolley jack etc:

I just wish I had some hubs so I could get it rolling.
    Bit of a long shot, but would anybody have an inkling of which late model hub/brakes would fit on the A spindles? If anything?

I can get machining done, but I'd like some lightweight discs on the front if possible.