Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: My new project:Model A Roadster pickup

Images
    Hi Paul, as a quick fix have you thought of adding some heavier oil, say 140w to the diff, or even squirt a tube of high moly grease in, will quieten it down till you get a new set

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jsf55 View Post
    Hi Paul, as a quick fix have you thought of adding some heavier oil, say 140w to the diff, or even squirt a tube of high moly grease in, will quieten it down till you get a new set
    ........or as my dad used to do in the `40s-`50s on his own cars, squidge a few bananas in there....I kid you not. Apparently, it was quite a common thing for `dodgy` car sales men to do back then and quietened the diff just long enough to `make a sale` ...
    "The older i get, the faster i was".
    Out to pasture ...
    My Intro My Rods

Images
    Are you trying to make a monkey of him...
    Layabout.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
    ...... it still overheats. I thought I'd cured that last year, bit it is hotter than hell the last month in the Philippines, 42c one day last week
    Did you remove that holed plate you had in front of the radiator Paul. With those air temps, that would really block the air flow through the rad core!...
    "The older i get, the faster i was".
    Out to pasture ...
    My Intro My Rods

Images
    Just read through from start to finish.
    Really enjoyed it. You have created a Hot rod from nothing, thats an achievement, but quite amazing to think you have done this in the Phillipines.
    I may live in East London, I may have a number plate that reads "Chopt",
    but I do NOT use 6" wheel spacers!

NSRA member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brizey View Post
    Did you remove that holed plate you had in front of the radiator Paul. With those air temps, that would really block the air flow through the rad core!...
    Yes mate, removed that ages ago. it didn't really make a great deal of difference, just delayed the overheating a little. I've drilled some holes in the thermostat but it made no difference. I planned to double check the ignition timing but never got round to it yet.

Next time I'm home I'll rework the rad shroud, as it blocks over about 20% of the bottom of the rad, which could mean all the difference keeping the temp under control.

Monsoon season started while I was home, but the last day there the sun came out, so me and some buddys took our cars out for a drive. Probably the only time 5 hot rods have ever been together in the Philippines in the history of the country.

Name:  Angeles City Hot Rod Club.jpg
Views: 1058
Size:  63.0 KB

Even here, on the other side of the world, we still deal with idiot problems. Parked outside a bar in town, I glanced outside to check my pride and joy and found two idiot Koreans sat in it while their buddy took pictures. They never asked, they didn't care, just decided it was their god given right to mess with another mans ride! I'm sure they'd love it if I simply walked over and sat in their daily driver one day.
    Last edited by Paul B; 25-07-15 at 02:57 AM.
    Polygamy is having more wives than you really need.
    Monogamy is essentially much the same thing.

NSRA member
    Quote Originally Posted by jsf55 View Post
    I've looked around for something suitable but can find nothing heavier than normal diff oil. It does sound quieter when the weather is cooler, definitely need to get new gears though. 3.1 seems far to high, so 4.11 should make for more fun.

Last edited by Blackjack; 26-07-15 at 03:54 PM.

Hi Paul.
    Its looking good.
    Like the red flake, good choice.
    Glad you've got it on the road and "finished"
    cheers, Graham

NSRA member
    Quote Originally Posted by nostalgia 32 View Post
    Hi Paul.
    Its looking good.
    Like the red flake, good choice.
    Glad you've got it on the road and "finished"
    cheers, Graham
    Thanks mate. How's the old Morris going?

After some drunk told me I have "the worst paint job he'd ever seen" I decided to have a go at wet sanding and polishing the paint out. It is pretty orange peeled in places as I never really got round to doing the job properly. Anyway, I think I need to buy a proper buffer, hand polishing seems to take forever. .

NSRA member
    The sun doesn't always shine where we are.

Wife and I went out for a cruise one afternoon, the heavens opened, so we're driving along under a big umbrella, in nose to tail traffic. I thought it was a laugh, she wasn't so amused....

Name:  IMG_20150913_120510.jpg
Views: 864
Size:  140.8 KB

Camaro in the background used to be the fastest car in the Philippines, 9.7 secs, but it has been de-tuned and get used on the road occasionally now.
    Last edited by Paul B; 26-09-15 at 11:55 PM.

NSRA member
    Well, I’ve just rejoined the NSRA, as my membership lapsed for a couple of years, so I can post again now.

I sorted the overheating by biting the bullet and fitting a big Summit aluminium rad, and a big electric fan. Ran great after that, should have done that right away instead of faffing about for two years.

Also fitted a tunnel ram, made a bigger pick up bed, and a roof..... then the wife and I went our separate ways, the hot rod was sold, and I am back in England and rodless once again.

Name:  6A18A5F2-CC45-4AD4-BA2A-4DE0762B2687.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  157.8 KBName:  9615891B-A34D-42F6-8064-908CB9D7C5E6.jpeg
Views: 784
Size:  182.4 KBName:  1B409D98-958E-4BFB-9DAA-F5576DBBB63C.jpeg
Views: 742
Size:  87.9 KBName:  D882974B-B56C-46E4-BC9B-4CD17BEF572D.jpg
Views: 745
Size:  94.1 KB
    Last edited by Paul B; 13-02-18 at 07:01 PM.

New guest
    Enjoyed reading all that!
    Nice set of solutions to the lack of spares about.