Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My new project:Model A Roadster pickup

NSRA member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
    You haven't wasted any time.....
    6 days left and I'm away for five weeks Geoff, can't let he grass grow under my feet.
    Polygamy is having more wives than you really need.
    Monogamy is essentially much the same thing.

Looking good mate, be running in no time.

Cheers. Tim W.
    They say "life's a Crap Shoot" - Sure would be nice to have some Shoot for a change !!

My Pop My Intro

NSRA member
    Todays project was brakes.

I have no idea what the MC is off, but it started out with a big booster diaphragm thing on. That is now in the scrap bin, no faggy powered brakes on this bad boy hot rod. (less things to go wrong)

Then a lever, gas axed from a chunk of 10mm steel plate. I did this ten o'clock last night, out in the street, with the steel G clamped to the garden gate, as my 'shop' is full of hot rod. The neighbourhood kids thought it was great.

It is actually made from two pieces, welded together half way up the long bit. My scrap pile is getting depleted, down to rag ends now.

I found an end boss designed for four bar suspension, with poly bushes, so that was grafted in the middle of the lever. And a tube welded into the chassis rail. A 5/8" bolt secures it all good and snug.

I plan to make a bolt-on foot pedal, to some design of interest at some stage.

NSRA member
    Taxi to Manila airport at 4am tomorrow morning, then off to work in the US, so this is the last for six or seven weeks.

I got medieval with the rear end, about four hours ago, as it just looked too long, and space is limited in my mini garage. So, I cut 12" off. The bed can still be as long as I want to make it, but a bolt on rear bumper device will provide protection from impacts.

I made a tubular seat frame support:

Brake pedal appears to poke out in the right place, good guesswork.

MC stashed under seat, will be connected by a looong push-rod, maybe lightweight aluminium tube to stop it bouncing about on rough roads. Dimbo here chopped the cut-out in the wrong place. Still, it all needs another layer or two of 'glass all over, so repairs and tidying will be done then....

NSRA member
    Images
    If i were you i'd be putting a new m/c along with all the necessary fittings on my shopping list for whilst in the US.

I've previously used, or more pertinently tried to use, a previously enjoyed m/c of indeterminate origin acquired from a swap meet (sure it works mate!). I'm sure you can work out the rest.

Chris
    Bumper sticker - This is an historic vehicle and only has three speeds....... if you don't like this one you sure as hell won't like the others.

NSRA member
    Quote Originally Posted by Happydaze View Post
    If i were you i'd be putting a new m/c along with all the necessary fittings on my shopping list for whilst in the US.

I've previously used, or more pertinently tried to use, a previously enjoyed m/c of indeterminate origin acquired from a swap meet (sure it works mate!). I'm sure you can work out the rest.

Chris
    Might be a good idea, buying the correct one new, and cheaper in the long run. I think a 15/16" MC would be best for this set up, and I'll probably need a proportional regulator too. I ordered some bits and had them sent to the hotel a couple of months ago when I passed through, and I plan doing it this time, as long as we have prior notice exactly where we will be crew changing through.

The list is as long as my arm though.....

NSRA member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
    Might be a good idea, buying the correct one new, and cheaper in the long run. I think a 15/16" MC would be best for this set up, and I'll probably need a proportional regulator too. I ordered some bits and had them sent to the hotel a couple of months ago when I passed through, and I plan doing it this time, as long as we have prior notice exactly where we will be crew changing through.

The list is as long as my arm though.....
    So, I ordered a bunch of stuff last week, two shipments, one to my hotel in New Orleans, to be collected when I pass through on Thursday, and a big one to an uncles house in New York for him to ship to me. Cool.

Yesterday I get an e mail from Speedway telling me I can't do it, can't use a foreign credit card for two orders, to two different addresses.

Time is too short to send the stuff to the hotel now, so I had it all shipped to the uncles place and wired Speedway the money to cover it. Now I wait...................

...............about two months for it all to be shipped sea cargo from new York....

But, meanwhile, back home, work is starting in my absence on the new garage. We bought some land before Xmas and plan to build a house, but I talked the wife into letting me build the garage first.

It'll be 6m a 8x, and it seems to be moving along at a fair pace, seeing as they only started two days ago.

I'm pretty much nervous as hell about all this, as I'm 51 years old, and I've scraped together my life savings and every cent I can beg, borrow or steal to do this crazy project.

The final plan:

Images
    Paul that seat base don't look very wide ??? The back needs some angle in it as it will be very uncomfortable otherwise. he base in Sue's A over hangs the doors by a fair bit more.

Any advice or help given is actually based on having done the job, not read about doing it or Googling it.

www.langysrodshop.co.uk Our parts are air freighted so 5-7 day delivery, The best GRP Willys body available/Rebel Wirings only UK dealer/Speedway Motors authorised dealer/Summit racing/Jegs/Hotrod parts supplied, MAC Autos, We deal with all the US hotrod suppliers even non car related stuff.
    Brake,Oil & Fuel etc plumbing stockist/Totally Stainless fastener dealer/Dolphin Instrument dealer, LMC & Brothers Trucks,
    Stainless Exhaust tube & mandrel bends stockist

NSRA member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Lang View Post
    Paul that seat base don't look very wide ??? The back needs some angle in it as it will be very uncomfortable otherwise. he base in Sue's A over hangs the doors by a fair bit more.
    Steve, the support is kinda short, as I realised after I'd welded it, but the seat base will be 3/4" plywood and can be made whatever size is comfy I guess.

Nice looking house - garage just in proportion too. What's with the headgear on the builders though?

NSRA member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
    Nice looking house - garage just in proportion too. What's with the headgear on the builders though?
    I guess it is their equivalent of a sun hat Geoff.

At the moment it is about 34C in the shade at midday over there, but I still have another ten days before I arrive.

Images
    I guess it is their equivalent of a sun hat Geoff.

At the moment it is about 34C in the shade at midday over there, but I still have another ten days before I arrive.
    I liked the Totector Flip flops!

Great build Paul,

Enjoying following along, good garage project also,

Cheers,
    Mike C.
    Mikes V8 Pop build

IT'S ALL GOOD IN THE HOOD

NSRA member
    I've just ordered up some 'classic' T bucket style headers, some steel front wheels, a disc brake conversion for the 9 inch, a 1" MC, and a load of other little odds and ends, and I'm all excited, but I now have to wait ages and ages for them to be shipped over from the USA.

When will they invent an instant matter transporter, like in that movie The Fly?

Good luck with the projects! Keep it coming, I enjoy this thread.

NSRA member
    Not long now until it is all done:

I've only been home a couple of days, and all I've done to the hot rid is look at it, and widen the rad cowl an inch or so, as it was a bit snug to the rad.

Great thread,cool ride!

I've only been home a couple of days, and all I've done to the hot rid is look at it, and widen the rad cowl an inch or so, as it was a bit snug to the rad.

What welding rods do you use for that?

Images
    Dissimilar how else are u going to weld wood to fibreglass

NSRA member
    Quote Originally Posted by jsf55 View Post
    Dissimilar how else are u going to weld wood to fibreglass
    Damn, and I just noticed it isn't lined up with my marks!