Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: One of these days T Truck

Images

One of these days T Truck

OK rather than continue with my original post on this (Which was just a question really) I thought I’d start afresh.
    I always wanted to build something original and different. As a teen I bought Custom Car and Street Machine and LOVED the wild creations from the likes of Ray Christopher and Nick Butler. In fact Revenge is still my all time favourite car. (If the owner of Revenge is listening, when it’s back on the street there’s a beer in it if I could just have one ride in it).
    In the mid to late eighties I built my first proper modified car which was a Honda Acty pickup with a 1275 Mini engine trans etc all mid-mounted. This made it to a Garry’s Picnic and all in all I had a ball. Sadly however something broke and sent the tail sideways which resulted in a 2 ½ turn barrel roll and a totalled Honda.
    Nothing much changed in the Knowledge stables after that. A Dodge B100 van doesn’t count for much as a Rod or Custom.
    Late in the ‘90s I was wondering what I could build and thought about my old Honda. I had a Rover V8 that my brother had given me just before the roll and I had thought of dropping it into the Honda. It had sat around for some time just begging to be used. This is when I had my inspiration. I’d seen pics of a mid-mount Ford special in a Petersons press ‘How to build a Street Rod book’ and although a nice enough idea was a little impractical for the UK. So I thought “How about a T truck in the same style and size as my old Honda?”
    So I sat down with a pencil and paper and doodled a few ideas and came up with the ‘Woody’ look. I approached ex prez Nick Harrison and asked if he could fashion up the doors. Deal struck I supplied him the two front A posts and billet hinges along with detailed drawings and he set off to make them. Back in darkest Northampton at our engineering shop I set too and started cutting steel box for the chassis.
    Now some people love to sort rust on an old body, and although I can do it I must admit I’m far happier with new metal and parts. This fact is reflected in the way it took me MONTHS messing with my now sold 100E but yet I started with some box section on the Monday and working after hours in the evenings and that weekend rolled out a finished rolling chassis on the next Monday morning.
    All seemed well but I’d made a big design faux par. In the desire to keep it short I’d taken the Rover prop apart and created a single UJ with a flange front and rear. Now although a Jag IRS third member doesn’t move there will still be flex in the frame and engine and box mounts so it was quickly realised that my BW35 Trans would break its tail shaft casing under the strain. After cutting the frame at the rear to lengthen it I got just a little disillusioned and then just to ruin everything the entire machine shop along with the doors Nick had made and I’d since collected were plunged into 18” of flood water. The doors almost survived, but as they dried the Maple split and warped. The result was two dead doors.
    I shelved the whole thing and waited for the day I could resurrect it.
    Fast forward to end 2009 and life has changed for me. Now divorced and struggling on with a 100E Anglia I was thinking of how time was moving on and realised that if I didn’t make a push to build a Rod now I most likely never would. So I decided to sell my 100E and bring back the Truck.
    Following my original posting “So what do you think” I was pleased by the positive responses and decided to push on. The frame has now been lengthened so that a ‘short’ prop can be fitted in, which in itself is not such a bad idea as the wheelbase is now 90”. Another Rover and GM180 Trans obtained and soon I should have a rolling chassis again. Sadly my late Father retired in 2000 and I no longer have a full machine shop at my disposal, but that will just present problems rather than obstacles. My new job as a design engineer gives me a full on 3D engineering design package to work on (Solid Works) and it’s JPEGs from that you see here along with an old B&W photo of the Truck from the ‘90s.
    After pondering a few things I decided that this Rod should have a name. Considering its 13-14 year delay in production and my love of Pink Floyd there can only be one name for it. I give you the “One of these days” Model T Truck.

Pic of the Truck as it was in the ‘90s.

~original
    Pic from my PC.

Model ‘man’ is 6 foot tall.
    Last edited by Knowledge; 22-02-19 at 03:36 PM.
    I know you think you believe you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what I said isn't always what I meant.

My Intro '

Go for it, and crack on...!!!

Images
    Should look good, my advice though would be not to bother with the 3D drawings, All they ever do is confuse and slow up progress.

The way to get this project further is to take it by the scruff of its neck and crack on with it, good luck.
    Any advice or help given is actually based on having done the job, not read about doing it or Googling it.

www.langysrodshop.co.uk Our parts are air freighted so 5-7 day delivery, The best GRP Willys body available/Rebel Wirings only UK dealer/Speedway Motors authorised dealer/Summit racing/Jegs/Hotrod parts supplied, MAC Autos, We deal with all the US hotrod suppliers even non car related stuff.
    Brake,Oil & Fuel etc plumbing stockist/Totally Stainless fastener dealer/Dolphin Instrument dealer, LMC & Brothers Trucks,
    Stainless Exhaust tube & mandrel bends stockist

Not sure what front end/steering you have planned for it but that driving position(cab over stylee) would maybe benefit from a VW style V drive. Type 25's have them.

just do it, i'd like to see the build thread moving on.
    NEVER MIND THE B*LL*CKS IT'S A HOt RoD

Images
    Funny you should say that Ross. I'll post some pics later today but that's exactly what I have. VW LT 'turn' box at the front going to a modified Cortina rack.
    As for all these 3D drawings I know what you're saying, but these aren't just pretty pictured. They are 3D virtual reality solid models. I'm designing the whole thing in SolidWorks then generating the drawings to make the parts. Whengparts is right now making me some bits from drawing an DXF format supplied (See below). So much easier to work like that as it takes the guess work out. I also get a better idea how it will look once made. Oh! and one other thing this drawng package gives me. I also know how much it will all weigh, centre of gravity, roll centre etc...

Last edited by Knowledge; 17-07-12 at 03:12 PM.
    I know you think you believe you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what I said isn't always what I meant.

My Intro '

I like this - looking forward to seeing progress.

Images

Steering

Front suspension is a complete Ford Cortina Mk3 clip but the hubs and brakes though are from a P100 pickup (I shall explain in a later post). Now obviously a Cortina rack points backwards but I shall be sitting above it. To sort this out the rack was stripped down, turned on a lathe to remove the 'corners' of the 'D' shape. Ally welded (Thanks to John at ARMA Rods) then re-machined to put the 'D' shape back but all at a different angle. As you can see from the pic (Modified Left, original still on a subframe Right) it now points forward towards the next trick in the box which is a VW LT van transfer box. This will be at the front of the cab and it both turns the stearing through an 'L' direction so it goes back towards the rack AND corrects the now reversed rack otherwise turning the steering wheel right would send the Truck left!!!

The trouble with having all these parts hanging around for over a decade is they've all developed erm 'Patina'!!!!! Will look better once I've cleaned it all up and painted it.
    Last edited by Knowledge; 06-12-10 at 12:39 PM.

My Intro '

Images

Engine mounts.

As my GM box came with a Polly bushed mount I decided to sort some Polly bushed engine mounts to suit. After some measuring and design work I came up with a pair of profiled plates with rectangular backing/mounting plates where they bolt to the block.

Click on the pic

It's an AVI file (Video). Otherwise click on the pic and it will take you to the vid....

Still picture of one mount.

Last edited by Knowledge; 06-12-10 at 06:31 PM.

My Intro '

Images

360 View

Ok I guess this is showing off a little, but click on the pic and you'll be able to see all around the model. NOTE: The engine & box are just a rough draught but in virtual reality weigh the same, and I haven't added the front suspension, and Jag IRS yet. Bed is set higher than before as the SVA rules sate I can't have anything in the bed area, so it's now above the engine. Looks more original there I think.

Last edited by Knowledge; 07-12-10 at 11:19 PM.

My Intro '

I like the look of that. A canvas tilt for the bed and you could sleep in it at shows!

I didn't go to the farm to pick up the 27T dash this weekend because of the crap whether - but will go some time this week.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
    I like the look of that. A canvas tilt for the bed and you could sleep in it at shows!

I didn't go to the farm to pick up the 27T dash this weekend because of the crap whether - but will go some time this week.
    No worries. Whenever you get time. Don't forget to give me some measurements please.

My Intro '

Images
    I thought the engine was in the bed Geoff ???

Any advice or help given is actually based on having done the job, not read about doing it or Googling it.

www.langysrodshop.co.uk Our parts are air freighted so 5-7 day delivery, The best GRP Willys body available/Rebel Wirings only UK dealer/Speedway Motors authorised dealer/Summit racing/Jegs/Hotrod parts supplied, MAC Autos, We deal with all the US hotrod suppliers even non car related stuff.
    Brake,Oil & Fuel etc plumbing stockist/Totally Stainless fastener dealer/Dolphin Instrument dealer, LMC & Brothers Trucks,

Looks like the engine will be under the bed for for BIVA purposes.

The high bed reminds me of the coal truck we used to have come round when I was a kid in Liverpool (not a bad thing btw). I think it was high so that they could get the sacks straight on to their shoulders from the bed.

Images
    I was just wondering if your related to Nobler

Images
    I've edited my txt as what I SHOULD have said is it's had to be raised as the bed CAN'T have the engine poking up through it.

My Intro '

cool.... this will look good
    been there , broke that!

Any ideas of wheels yet?

Images
    The high bed reminds me of the coal truck we used to have come round when I was a kid in Liverpool (not a bad thing btw)
    Me too. The cab resembles the small Dennis dust (refuse) carts we used to have around the Heathrow area in the `50s, that had the 4 slide up sides for emptying refuse into (again, not a criticism, just an observation)...
    "The older i get, the faster i was".
    Out to pasture ...
    My Intro My Rods

Images
    Any ideas of wheels yet?
    Already have them. Cal 500 slots front n back. 10 x 15 rear, 6 x 14 front. All 5 stud pattern the fronts are something I did all those years ago. In the B&W photo it has Cortina Mk 3 uprights but I modified hubs for Jag 5 stud. I'll try and photo it all and add that at the weekend.
    Last edited by Knowledge; 09-04-13 at 01:04 PM.

My Intro '