Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: One of these days T Truck

Yeah, very nice multi-piece engineering.

Cheers. Tim W.
    They say "life's a Crap Shoot" - Sure would be nice to have some Shoot for a change !!

My Pop My Intro

Images
    So finaly able to get back to the car. A year later!!! Garage has a new roof and windows but most importantly it's now watertight. Wood n water don't mix.
    Soon I will tear down and paint and detail to the quality I always intended, but first I have a few design issue that need sorting out. One big unresolved one being the front wings. The previous ones were ugly and had flats on them like a 20p piece, they also had to be widened and were naff to say the least. However my thinking on how I obtained the original wings was sound I reckon so I took another look at what is available. Bought off the internet without any idea how well it might fit this came from Indispension, £75 and of course I only need one as it has two ends so will cut in half. Will need a slight bit of re-radiusing as it isn't quite the right curve but is perfect on width.Name:  20211119_163353.jpeg
Views: 712
Size:  117.0 KB

Sent from my SM-T810 using NSRA mobile app
    I know you think you believe you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what I said isn't always what I meant.

My Intro '

Good to see you back on the case, the wheel arch looks really good from this angle. Nicely thought out
    Cheers
    John B

Sent from my iPhone using NSRA mobile app

Aye, good to see you back at it Stephen, arches look way better in my opinion mate.

Cheers Tim W

Sent from my G3121 using NSRA mobile app
    They say "life's a Crap Shoot" - Sure would be nice to have some Shoot for a change !!

My Pop My Intro

i first saw the pic and thought ''ooh, he's going 'chinese six' with a second steer axle at the front''.
    neil.

Images
    Started ripping at the pieces ready for the complete rebuild repaint and and detail in the way always wanted it. Started unpacking some of the things that been put away radiator fits nice that should keep it cool.Name:  20220312_150827.jpeg
Views: 563
Size:  227.2 KBName:  20220312_150820.jpeg
Views: 578
Size:  190.0 KB

Sent from my SM-T810 using NSRA mobile app
    I know you think you believe you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what I said isn't always what I meant.

My Intro '

Good luck Stephen.

Cheers Tim W.

Sent from my G3121 using NSRA mobile app

My Pop My Intro

Images

Engine begins

Name:  Screenshot 2024-01-01 154511.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  100.8 KB

Engine build time. Sadly having spent an hour writing about this I just lost every word. I'll re-write the lot shortly...after my head recovers from banging the wall.
    Last edited by Knowledge; 01-01-24 at 04:53 PM.

My Intro '

New guest
    Sadly having spent an hour writing about this I just lost every word. I'll re-write the lot shortly.
    I'm making the assumption you lost it, as in "you were typing & lost it as a text"

And not on to the MicroSoft Cloud .

Images
    Nah, I think he meant he lost it & ran around screaming and murdering people - then throwing his computer out the window............

New guest
    Ta, He'll know were the fault lies

Images
    OK so let's try posting the txt again.
    Having stepped down from the committee in November I now have more time on my hands. Don't get me wrong I was glad to serve you all over the last four years, but I'm now looking forward to spending a bit more time in the garage. I've also promised myself to spend all Sunday morning at the SuperNats looking over the cars, as for the last four years I haven't even found the time to go look.
    Let's face it this project taken too long so I need to get on with it. When I built it, I always had problems with the engine overheating, but that wasn't surprising considering it was out of the Land Rover even though it's an SD1. As I started to strip the engine it became very apparent that it wasn't the first time, as the gallery had been fettled to aid oil drain, and there are two holes drilled in the front of the casing to let oil onto the timing gear. Also, it was discovered that the crankshaft had been balanced which at first seemed like a good thing, but later turned out to be of little importance.
    Overheating was down to a leak into the water jacket, and the fact the number six cylinder was not breathing very well considering the inlet valve had a lift off 85 thou as opposed to 135. Standard size Pistons but -10 crank. So, I arranged to get everything reconditioned at T&L near Bedford. It was at this time we discovered that the crank had been modified when used for the Land Rover, the tail had been machine down which explained why I had a problem mounting the torque converter. Fortunately, I had a spare SD1 engine that although in a poor state was all original.
    So now everything has been sorted. Pistons are Vitesse 9.75 to 1 at plus 20 thou. Crank has been ground -10 and balanced along with the rods. If you're ever thinking of doing something similar, see if you can get hold of a spare engine as we were able to sort the best eight rods and even then, a couple of them need to be honed to ensure they were round.
    Otherwise at the moment my next job is to clean up and rub down the block ready for paint. This isn't a performance engine, but it has to look good as the engine is so visible. Plan is epoxy primer and two pack paint in the darker grey to British Leyland grey. Other details will be in black and silver. I have braided hoses and black fittings to go on.

My Intro '

Nice one, good to know Barry's still sorting them old Rover V8s out Stephen.

Cheers Tim W

Sent from my M2103K19G using NSRA mobile app

My Pop My Intro

Images
    Just a little update. Had a few changes I wanted to do. This one will please a few as many said the front indicators are ####. The plastic upright 'blimps' are not that 'Hot rod'. Now this addition would have been FAR easier to do if I'd engineered it in from the beginning, but hey! New indicators obtained they come with an M10 thread and nut. I got a pair of 50mm long sleeve nuts. Drilled through the frame Ø13 on the outside, Ø8 on the inside. Trouble is that goes into the window frame, so another Ø8 is drilled into the underside of the window frame and the wires will be 'carefully' threaded through. I have some hexagonal brass to make a pair of fancy nuts to hold them on when finished. Below are 'Before and After' Pics.
    Name:  ind 2.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  153.8 KBName:  New indicator.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  147.7 KB

My Intro '

you've gone from trailer to kit car, you're getting there
    glad to see you're still at it mate.
    neil.

Images
    I did think of modified T cowl lamps, but hard to find, worse to fit. These are a compromise but at least look better than the #### originals.

My Intro '

they sure do mate, i'm only joking with you anyway
    neil.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knowledge View Post
    I did think of modified T cowl lamps, but hard to find, worse to fit. These are a compromise but at least look better than the #### originals.
    Personally I'm not so sure about that, but it's not my car so what I think does not really matter.

NSRA Committee
    Glad your back on it Steve.... Look forward to seeing it in the 'Tparty' at the supernats