Thread: Rack narrowing: How to....

Rack narrowing: How to....

Well, how I do it anyway.....

Some simple maths to calculate how much narower it needs to be first.
    Measure your suspension pivots and work it out.
    Measure casing width and overall rack width.
    Remove amount form rack and casing(9" in this case)

I couldn't get the pinion out of this rack so cut it closer to the slots than normal to get it apart. Leave an extra 1/2 to 3/4" of material on one part.

Once amount is removed from plain part of rack machine the extra bit down to a suitable size. Bore the other part slightly undersize.

Stick the female part in the fridge freezer for an hour and give the other part a tickle with the oxy acetylene. Push them together.
    This is more for alignment than strength. Tig them together.

The casing should be measured to check that full movement of the rack is same as before. Weld that back together once checked.

Rebuild rack. Done.

Caveat....this is how I do it. Your mileage may vary.

Images
    I just recut the thread on the end, no welding at all then.
    Guess my mileage varied
    Layabout.

My re-threading capabilities on a lathe are very limited, but yes that would be easier.You would also have to machine the inner part for the plastic ball socket and spring.

Images
    Well done Ross, nice to see how to's, there is always more than one way to skin a cat
    Any advice or help given is actually based on having done the job, not read about doing it or Googling it.

www.langysrodshop.co.uk Our parts are air freighted so 5-7 day delivery, The best GRP Willys body available/Rebel Wirings only UK dealer/Speedway Motors authorised dealer/Summit racing/Jegs/Hotrod parts supplied, MAC Autos, We deal with all the US hotrod suppliers even non car related stuff.
    Brake,Oil & Fuel etc plumbing stockist/Totally Stainless fastener dealer/Dolphin Instrument dealer, LMC & Brothers Trucks,
    Stainless Exhaust tube & mandrel bends stockist

NSRA member
    Images
    Same here worked out how much to narrow, machine shop cut the end off duplicated the thread etc and and re-machined to suit. (Ford Rack)
    Y Me!