Thread: enamel paint

enamel paint

anyone know where i can get enamel paint from? ive tried to get the paint in 2pack but the company i deal with dont do the colour in 2pack and dont have a paint code for it so cant make it. they have tried to match it but say the tinters in 2pack wont give them the same colour that i have in enamel.

Your emotions will always interfere with your sense of truth

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by weemark View Post
    anyone know where i can get enamel paint from? ive tried to get the paint in 2pack but the company i deal with dont do the colour in 2pack and dont have a paint code for it so cant make it. they have tried to match it but say the tinters in 2pack wont give them the same colour that i have in enamel.
    Sadly even with modern chromatic measuring sytems a paint colour is never the same in a different medium. If you change from say Acrylic to Enamel it will not match. Why enamel by the way? And do you mean synthetic or enamel istelf (As in House paint or Humbrol)?
    I know you think you believe you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what I said isn't always what I meant.

My Intro '

the reason i want enamel is ive got a car which is painted in enamel, i need some paint as I need to repaint some parts due to paint flaking off, the car was painted about 1968 or so. No i dont want to paint the whole car and certainly not in 2pack if i can help it.

ive got a paint chip from gipgloss car enamel and a colour name but cant find the colour name at all on-line or in any of the old & new paint chips my local paint shop carry from different manufacturers. i can get enamel mixed up but they want a RAL code or a BS code which I dont have.
    Last edited by weemark; 19-10-11 at 05:05 PM.

Images
    To be honest after 32 years I doubt the paint will still be the colour it was in 68'. I always thought 'OLD' cars were painted a strange purple colour in the 40's 50's but realised later in life that they were in fact BLACK!!! just oxidised to that colour.
    I know you think you believe you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what I said isn't always what I meant.

My Intro '

i thought due to the age of the paint it would be hard to match but the chip ive got matches it really well, there is very little difference if any. Of course it may be the chip is very old too and its faded as much as the paint

Images
    Tractol is very good Mark, there's a seller on eBay, they match to Ral colours and maybe Pantone etc. Brushes on nice tool.

Images
    Must be 40 years since I used enamel Mark but a good tip for application is to warm the paint first, then it goes on smooth and flows nice, you can't polish it though and it's slow drying, I seem to remember someone telling me that you can now get a hardner for it which speeds up the drying.
    Anybody renember RePaint ??? That was enamel
    Last edited by langysrodshop; 19-10-11 at 07:52 PM.
    Any advice or help given is actually based on having done the job, not read about doing it or Googling it.

www.langysrodshop.co.uk Our parts are air freighted so 5-7 day delivery, The best GRP Willys body available/Rebel Wirings only UK dealer/Speedway Motors authorised dealer/Summit racing/Jegs/Hotrod parts supplied, MAC Autos, We deal with all the US hotrod suppliers even non car related stuff.
    Brake,Oil & Fuel etc plumbing stockist/Totally Stainless fastener dealer/Dolphin Instrument dealer, LMC & Brothers Trucks,
    Stainless Exhaust tube & mandrel bends stockist

Try these guys - very helpful;

http://www.craftmasterpaints.co.uk/

Steve - I remember my Dad using Repaint kits on a Zephyr, a Moggy Minor and an A40 in the back alley behind our house in Toxteth.

have you tried to get the paint code from the manufacturer as they are normanly good i got a water base colour converted to 2pk with no problem

steve thanks for the tip.

geoff thanks for the link, sounds like they may be able to help.

53pop the chip i have is from gipgloss but i dont think they are still about now.

Mark, what colour is it? I have old books from Glasurit.

NSRA member

Enamel

Smith and Allen in Darlington are Tractol agents, had a few things off them as I can collect on Sats.
    E bay seller as well, mixed a grey to match Harrison Lathe for me. excellent match.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tractol-Sy...item3a613794a6

Stan

OR
    WHY NOT TRY OUR AMERON, TEKALOID & COACH ENAMELS FOR TOUCHING UP OR RE-PAINTING YOUR VINTAGE MACHINES AVAILABLE IN MOST BS or RALCOLOURRANGES

NSRA member
    Mark, I thought we had this sorted?
    You definatley don't want to be using Tractol which is not even an acrylic, but an alkyd, or similar on a car that you want to look good. Its easy to get a match in 2K as I explained.
    Enamel is a misued term and does not mean much.

"Acrylic enamel" is an Amercian term for what we in the UK used to call "fast synthetic", now no longer available due to legislation & performance. Some of the UK brands of this type of coating were ICI Permobel, PPG Quickline, Berger Bergerex, Glasurit 20 Line or Gipfast 80.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Lang View Post
    Must be 40 years since I used enamel Mark but a good tip for application is to warm the paint first, then it goes on smooth and flows nice, you can't polish it though and it's slow drying, I seem to remember someone telling me that you can now get a hardner for it which speeds up the drying.
    Anybody renember RePaint ??? That was enamel
    Steve thats synthetic enamel you're describing, its air drying but you get activated thinners so it can be baked, it can also be polished with a thin compound cabnt remember the name right now tho, but the way it goes on and the finish it gives if you know how to do it it wont need any polishing. We did 1 hour Friday morning paint jobs and the cars were at Kinross market Friday night. iT was very hazardous though (lead content i think) not seen it about for a few years.
    Russ
    Last edited by Russ; 21-10-11 at 08:00 PM.
    but it`s what i`ve always wanted an this`ll be a keeper!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NSRA member
    my narrowboat is painted with craftmaster and the finish is excellent - goes on well to

chris