Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Roadster project

A Roadster project

Well, another project about to enter the garage. Just picked up this little A for a song.
    Its probably going to have an early small block and T-5 tranny so Catherine can also drive it (Doesnt like crash boxes, and double clutching!) - Plus this should be a fast build, snow all gone now and its already 70f outside so want to make the most of roadster weather for the next 8 months

Another nice little build to look forward to, nice one Dave.

That looks sweet Dave, look forward to seeing more pics
    Any advice or help given is actually based on having done the job, not read about doing it or Googling it.

www.langysrodshop.co.uk Our parts are air freighted so 5-7 day delivery, The best GRP Willys body available/Rebel Wirings only UK dealer/Speedway Motors authorised dealer/Summit racing/Jegs/Hotrod parts supplied, MAC Autos, We deal with all the US hotrod suppliers even non car related stuff.
    Brake,Oil & Fuel etc plumbing stockist/Totally Stainless fastener dealer/Dolphin Instrument dealer, LMC & Brothers Trucks,
    Stainless Exhaust tube & mandrel bends stockist

very nice like the screen rake
    scrap yard dog ..

wow

Well got the roadster back to the garage, started to asses what needs to happen.
    It currently has a 55 Chevy rear end that I will probably keep, will have a T5 tranny and either a flatty or an early small block.
    I scored a whole 41 Ford rearend on Craigslist forthe huge price of $70 inc juice brakes, Radius rods and T-Tube! - I only need the Radius rods so should get my money back selling the rest. Best part is its only 3 miles away from me!

Looking to remove the body over the weekend, so built this wood dolly

Then set up some framework to stabilise the body before removal

Got to try out my new Miller TIG

Scored a new compressor at the weekend as the local Sears is closing down

Just ordered this X-member from Dagels Hot-rods, not worth making my own
    http://www.dagelsstreetrods.com/super_x_crossmember.htm

Going to split the wishbone at weekend, weld in the X-member and make some templates up for the rear radius rods

Continued some of the work today, started to set up the X-member ready to be trimmed

Started by tacking some 1x1 to the top of the frame after checking how straight the frame was. All good and within 3mm
    Front of X-member needs to be 55 1/2 inches from front spring mount

Started mocking up X-member - measure, measure , measure don't want to get this wrong

Will have it all trimmed tomorrow.
    Picked up my rear radius rods, however noticed some cracks in the cast mounts!!

Going to take them to the blasters tomorrow, will then see if I can TIG them up.

All for now,,,,

Images
    Nice build project Dave. Make sure the frame is flat and level otherwise it can be a real pain setting up the door and hood gaps.
    This may be of help later... http://www.abarnyard.com/workshop/door-2.htm
    "The older i get, the faster i was".
    Out to pasture ...
    My Intro My Rods

nice garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brizey View Post
    Nice build project Dave. Make sure the frame is flat and level otherwise it can be a real pain setting up the door and hood gaps.
    This may be of help later... http://www.abarnyard.com/workshop/door-2.htm
    Thanks Brian, some useful info there.
    Im trying to get this driving by end of June! then maybe get the body super good over winter
    Last edited by englishrodder; 04-04-12 at 04:12 AM.

A roadster project.

Superb project and great thread. I'll be watching this with great interest while i'm laid in for next few weeks after a knee op! :-(

A roadster project.

Oh and if it were mine i change to a 32 grill but thats just cos i think A's look good with them!

Nice project!
    If you would'nt mind please take plenty of photos when you split and remount the wishbone!

I believe that's the same roadster I was following on the auction site. seller also had a Nailhead in pieces too if I remember correctly.
    One of my dream cars in the making

Well it was such a nice day today I thought I would work outside, also my son is ill and the garage is below his bedroom so working in the garden seemed like a good idea!

But the sun is so stong up here (We are over 1mile above sea level) my auto welding helmet was permanently on! - Oh well just some grinding outside
    Moved back inside to TIG up and repair my 41 Ford rear radius rods.

Then moved on to teh front wishbone.
    Ball end cut off 5mm inward of Ford weld.

Then set and measured both bones so they matched, cleaned up the ends, nice chamfer on the end and cross drilled ready for welding

Set up the Weld bungs making sure all straight

Then TIG,d then up.

Finished tacked in the X-member now.

Then set about setting up the split bones ready for tacking the mounts.
    Lots of tripple measuring - then time to tack them

Looks pretty cool

Not bad for about 4hrs work.

Need to straighten the rear bones and make thosee mounts next.

Images
    'Bout time you got that wheel back in the Bonnie! Roadster is looking good.
    Sent from my Kitchen Table using a little box full of smoke and dangerous radio waves

Shine is Fine

Chassis's coming on well Dave, that ain't the sort of back garden you can
    have a go at with a Flymo is it . Nice view of the hill and mountains
    too .

Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by rem View Post
    'Bout time you got that wheel back in the Bonnie! Roadster is looking good.
    Fixed the Bonnie last night as well, been waiting 2 weeks for a new front tube! - It was a winter project I found on Craigslist - been in storage for 12 years only 9k miles!. Its going up for sale this week to fund the engine for the roadster

Quote Originally Posted by KICKSY View Post
    Chassis's coming on well Dave, that ain't the sort of back garden you can
    have a go at with a Flymo is it . Nice view of the hill and mountains
    too .

Dave.
    Yeah, when we moved in I thought I could cut the grass and buy a sit on mower.... Then it took 3 Mexicans 45mins i thought no way....

You can buy 1/2 the state for the price of my old UK house - hence the effing great big garden.

Thats the front range of the Rockies in the background.

Thanks