Thread: Back Axle opinions wanted???

Back Axle opinions wanted???

Im trying to decide which style of rear axle to use. I was tempted to go for the jag irs unit as crossmembers are easily available, however this seems fairly complicated and expensive to narrow. Im thinking about going the more conventional axle route as an engineer friend of mine has said he can narrow this for me. Opinions please

Also which are the best axles to use ill be running a rover v8 with an autobox, Ive heard of people using Volvo rear ends. This is my first build so any help and advise is greatly recieved

Quote Originally Posted by tattooaddict View Post
    Im trying to decide which style of rear axle to use. I was tempted to go for the jag irs unit as crossmembers are easily available, however this seems fairly complicated and expensive to narrow. Im thinking about going the more conventional axle route as an engineer friend of mine has said he can narrow this for me. Opinions please

Also which are the best axles to use ill be running a rover v8 with an autobox, Ive heard of people using Volvo rear ends. This is my first build so any help and advise is greatly recieved
    Well if you want a volvo axle my mate's selling one at the mo, its on the for sale section. Cheers.

im using a ford zephyr 6 rear axle with an rv8,it handles it well enough and been in the car for around 16 years!

the volvo 240 axle is the one to use i think.

Images
    For a first build go for the solid axle, there easier to set up and maintain, jag irs are getting long in the tooth and require a bit of knowhow on how to set them up, try and get hold of the wheels and tyres ur going to run a ssoon as possible in the project, it will help set up the ride height and gearing u need to be looking at about 22 mph/1000rpm with a rover... john

I'm stickin a Volvo 244 GLT under mine, just makin the 4 bar and bracketry at the mo.

Thanks for the replys gonna have to make my mind up now.

I ve used a volvo 240 axle and ive not had a problem with it.