Page 48 of 69 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast
Results 941 to 960 of 1370

Thread: Lou's Willys Build Thread

  1. #941
    Quote Originally Posted by mike noble View Post
    cheers...... it will be cool to see Lou give it some for sure.
    and the weight saving over the cannon is like free horsepower when using the same engine

  2. #942
    Quote Originally Posted by mygasser View Post
    and the weight saving over the cannon is like free horsepower when using the same engine
    yeh, the cannon wasn't slow, 11.7 ? i think, but Lou said it felt slow, so hopefully this will give her the buzz she craves ! lol
    i live by the unwritten code between men, especially hot rodders

  3. #943
    Quote Originally Posted by mike noble View Post
    yeh, the cannon wasn't slow, 11.7 ? i think, but Lou said it felt slow, so hopefully this will give her the buzz she craves ! lol
    mmmmm........ best start saving for a stroker kit then followed by a blower then a..........

  4. #944
    Quote Originally Posted by mygasser View Post
    mmmmm........ best start saving for a stroker kit then followed by a blower then a..........
    god i hope its fast enough for her this time !! i'm skint !
    i live by the unwritten code between men, especially hot rodders

  5. #945
    bit more , nothing very exciting.......
    braced the other shock mount and also moved that vee thing again, makes more sense between the shock mount points ( i think)
    .

    .
    then i decided to mount the dash, i cut the ends off to fit inside the cage...
    .





    .
    thats it...........
    i live by the unwritten code between men, especially hot rodders

  6. #946
    NSRA member v8pop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    3,358
    It's coming on well Mike, Just love a cart sprung front end. Keep it coming.

    Cheers. Tim W.
    They say "life's a Crap Shoot" - Sure would be nice to have some Shoot for a change !!

    My Pop My Intro

  7. #947
    That V crosmember...IMHO it does not fit the car, would look far better as a plain curved/bent tube or a straight one. The V shape does not match the rest of the build. Just my thoughts on it - feel free to ignore

  8. #948
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackpopracing View Post
    That V crosmember...IMHO it does not fit the car, would look far better as a plain curved/bent tube or a straight one. The V shape does not match the rest of the build. Just my thoughts on it - feel free to ignore
    yeh ize wiv ya fer sure.......... ive not bonded with it as yet, infact this time i only tacked once each side, lol
    i live by the unwritten code between men, especially hot rodders

  9. #949
    NSRA member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    3,886
    Images
    2
    Not speaking from a position of particular knowledge, but are you guys thinking of the 90/10 shocks correctly? As i understand it the 90:10 is the ratio of resistance - little resistance going up and heavy resistance going down, thus aiding weight transfer blah, blah. But that's not the same as length of travel, is it? If something is going to come down to earth from a height, shudder the thought, i'd have thought there's a good chance of it going into maximum suspension droop (despite the 90% shock trying to hold it up) so you'd require some serious travel beyond static to help cushion the landing? I could be talking bollix. Fight amongst yourselves! Sorry in advance!

    Chris
    Bumper sticker - This is an historic vehicle and only has three speeds....... if you don't like this one you sure as hell won't like the others.

  10. #950
    Quote Originally Posted by mike noble View Post
    yeh ize wiv ya fer sure.......... ive not bonded with it as yet, infact this time i only tacked once each side, lol
    so you knew it wasn't right but as you made it you're trying to use it

  11. #951
    Quote Originally Posted by mygasser View Post
    so you knew it wasn't right but as you made it you're trying to use it
    exactly !!
    i live by the unwritten code between men, especially hot rodders

  12. #952
    Quote Originally Posted by Happydaze View Post
    Not speaking from a position of particular knowledge, but are you guys thinking of the 90/10 shocks correctly? As i understand it the 90:10 is the ratio of resistance - little resistance going up and heavy resistance going down, thus aiding weight transfer blah, blah. But that's not the same as length of travel, is it? If something is going to come down to earth from a height, shudder the thought, i'd have thought there's a good chance of it going into maximum suspension droop (despite the 90% shock trying to hold it up) so you'd require some serious travel beyond static to help cushion the landing? I could be talking bollix. Fight amongst yourselves! Sorry in advance!

    Chris
    hi chris, i'm no expert for sure but i'm thinking on launch the shocks extend very quickly thus on landing they are at full extension and full resistance on landing,
    i live by the unwritten code between men, especially hot rodders

  13. #953
    usually when mounting shocks/coilovers they are roughly 1/3 compressed at ride height so if there's 3" travel they are compressed 1" at ride height leaving 2" 'til bottoming out..

  14. #954
    NSRA member chevy2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,199
    Quote Originally Posted by Happydaze View Post
    Not speaking from a position of particular knowledge, but are you guys thinking of the 90/10 shocks correctly? As i understand it the 90:10 is the ratio of resistance - little resistance going up and heavy resistance going down, thus aiding weight transfer blah, blah. But that's not the same as length of travel, is it? If something is going to come down to earth from a height, shudder the thought, i'd have thought there's a good chance of it going into maximum suspension droop (despite the 90% shock trying to hold it up) so you'd require some serious travel beyond static to help cushion the landing? I could be talking bollix. Fight amongst yourselves! Sorry in advance!

    Chris
    drag cars opposed to street cars are often setup in reverse on the frontend,
    ie, on street cars at ride height the shocks often have around a 1/4 to a 1/3rd initial compression which can help to allow for passengers, luggage and potholes etc, all of which drag cars dont need to deal with so ride height remains constant,

    whereas drag cars often have around 2/3rds initial, (around 2-1/2"-3" compression for example on a 4" travel strut or shock)
    as you say for weight transfer and quick separation hence the 90-10 shock, some racers aim for up to around 6" of drop,
    yeah when they come down it can be hard but the shock is at full drop and going in the 90 direction so theres a good chance it wont bottom out?
    also some drag cars have the toe-in set dead ahead at maybe an inch or more above ride height as thats where they are for most of track and so achieving less rolling resistance in the measured part of the track.

  15. #955
    so ......... was i thinking right gary ?
    i live by the unwritten code between men, especially hot rodders

  16. #956
    NSRA member chevy2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,199
    Quote Originally Posted by mike noble View Post
    so ......... was i thinking right gary ?
    You sure was,
    only problem i can see is once the car is at full weight,
    rad,glass,oil and water etc, they may be nearly bottomed out or are you gonna get the springs retempered if need be?

  17. #957
    Hi Mike,

    Great work as usual mate, on the fence also with the V bar, your choice though, keep at it,

    Cheers,
    Mike C.
    Mikes V8 Pop build





    IT'S ALL GOOD IN THE HOOD

  18. #958
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy2 View Post
    You sure was,
    only problem i can see is once the car is at full weight,
    rad,glass,oil and water etc, they may be nearly bottomed out or are you gonna get the springs retempered if need be?
    phew, i was concerned i had it completely wrong.
    .
    damm good point about whether they would bottem out with more weight, i'll keep an eye on that for sure but i think i'll be ok.
    i live by the unwritten code between men, especially hot rodders

  19. #959
    Quote Originally Posted by Rover V8 View Post
    Hi Mike,

    Great work as usual mate, on the fence also with the V bar, your choice though, keep at it,

    Cheers,
    Mike C.
    cheers
    i live by the unwritten code between men, especially hot rodders

  20. #960
    Guest ROCKIT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,097
    Images
    7
    Make some lower dropped brackets if you need to find more shock travel.
    I personally would want a bit more travel, as Gary has said, you ain't at full weight yet and if it comes down hard even though they are 90/10's it could feel very solid when it hits.

    Carry on as normal, you're going great guns Mike!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •