Page 48 of 69 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast

Thread: Lou's Willys Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mike noble View Post
    cheers...... it will be cool to see Lou give it some for sure.
    and the weight saving over the cannon is like free horsepower when using the same engine

Quote Originally Posted by mygasser View Post
    and the weight saving over the cannon is like free horsepower when using the same engine
    yeh, the cannon wasn't slow, 11.7 ? i think, but Lou said it felt slow, so hopefully this will give her the buzz she craves ! lol
    i live by the unwritten code between men, especially hot rodders

yeh, the cannon wasn't slow, 11.7 ? i think, but Lou said it felt slow, so hopefully this will give her the buzz she craves ! lol
    mmmmm........ best start saving for a stroker kit then followed by a blower then a..........

mmmmm........ best start saving for a stroker kit then followed by a blower then a..........
    god i hope its fast enough for her this time !! i'm skint !

bit more , nothing very exciting.......
    braced the other shock mount and also moved that vee thing again, makes more sense between the shock mount points ( i think)

then i decided to mount the dash, i cut the ends off to fit inside the cage...

thats it...........

It's coming on well Mike, Just love a cart sprung front end. Keep it coming.

Cheers. Tim W.
    They say "life's a Crap Shoot" - Sure would be nice to have some Shoot for a change !!

My Pop My Intro

That V crosmember...IMHO it does not fit the car, would look far better as a plain curved/bent tube or a straight one. The V shape does not match the rest of the build. Just my thoughts on it - feel free to ignore

Quote Originally Posted by Blackpopracing View Post
    That V crosmember...IMHO it does not fit the car, would look far better as a plain curved/bent tube or a straight one. The V shape does not match the rest of the build. Just my thoughts on it - feel free to ignore
    yeh ize wiv ya fer sure.......... ive not bonded with it as yet, infact this time i only tacked once each side, lol

NSRA member
    Images
    Not speaking from a position of particular knowledge, but are you guys thinking of the 90/10 shocks correctly? As i understand it the 90:10 is the ratio of resistance - little resistance going up and heavy resistance going down, thus aiding weight transfer blah, blah. But that's not the same as length of travel, is it? If something is going to come down to earth from a height, shudder the thought, i'd have thought there's a good chance of it going into maximum suspension droop (despite the 90% shock trying to hold it up) so you'd require some serious travel beyond static to help cushion the landing? I could be talking bollix. Fight amongst yourselves! Sorry in advance!

Chris
    Bumper sticker - This is an historic vehicle and only has three speeds....... if you don't like this one you sure as hell won't like the others.

yeh ize wiv ya fer sure.......... ive not bonded with it as yet, infact this time i only tacked once each side, lol
    so you knew it wasn't right but as you made it you're trying to use it

so you knew it wasn't right but as you made it you're trying to use it
    exactly !!

Quote Originally Posted by Happydaze View Post
    Not speaking from a position of particular knowledge, but are you guys thinking of the 90/10 shocks correctly? As i understand it the 90:10 is the ratio of resistance - little resistance going up and heavy resistance going down, thus aiding weight transfer blah, blah. But that's not the same as length of travel, is it? If something is going to come down to earth from a height, shudder the thought, i'd have thought there's a good chance of it going into maximum suspension droop (despite the 90% shock trying to hold it up) so you'd require some serious travel beyond static to help cushion the landing? I could be talking bollix. Fight amongst yourselves! Sorry in advance!

Chris
    hi chris, i'm no expert for sure but i'm thinking on launch the shocks extend very quickly thus on landing they are at full extension and full resistance on landing,

usually when mounting shocks/coilovers they are roughly 1/3 compressed at ride height so if there's 3" travel they are compressed 1" at ride height leaving 2" 'til bottoming out..

Quote Originally Posted by Happydaze View Post

Chris
    drag cars opposed to street cars are often setup in reverse on the frontend,
    ie, on street cars at ride height the shocks often have around a 1/4 to a 1/3rd initial compression which can help to allow for passengers, luggage and potholes etc, all of which drag cars dont need to deal with so ride height remains constant,

whereas drag cars often have around 2/3rds initial, (around 2-1/2"-3" compression for example on a 4" travel strut or shock)
    as you say for weight transfer and quick separation hence the 90-10 shock, some racers aim for up to around 6" of drop,
    yeah when they come down it can be hard but the shock is at full drop and going in the 90 direction so theres a good chance it wont bottom out?
    also some drag cars have the toe-in set dead ahead at maybe an inch or more above ride height as thats where they are for most of track and so achieving less rolling resistance in the measured part of the track.

so ......... was i thinking right gary ?

so ......... was i thinking right gary ?
    You sure was,
    only problem i can see is once the car is at full weight,
    rad,glass,oil and water etc, they may be nearly bottomed out or are you gonna get the springs retempered if need be?

Hi Mike,

Great work as usual mate, on the fence also with the V bar, your choice though, keep at it,

Cheers,
    Mike C.
    Mikes V8 Pop build

IT'S ALL GOOD IN THE HOOD

Quote Originally Posted by chevy2 View Post
    You sure was,
    only problem i can see is once the car is at full weight,
    rad,glass,oil and water etc, they may be nearly bottomed out or are you gonna get the springs retempered if need be?
    phew, i was concerned i had it completely wrong.
    damm good point about whether they would bottem out with more weight, i'll keep an eye on that for sure but i think i'll be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover V8 View Post
    Hi Mike,

Great work as usual mate, on the fence also with the V bar, your choice though, keep at it,

Cheers,
    Mike C.
    cheers

Images
    Make some lower dropped brackets if you need to find more shock travel.
    I personally would want a bit more travel, as Gary has said, you ain't at full weight yet and if it comes down hard even though they are 90/10's it could feel very solid when it hits.

Carry on as normal, you're going great guns Mike!