Page 11 of 69 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Lou's Willys Build Thread

look at the springs resting on the rails bud, but it will NOT be up in the clouds, concerned for Lou.
    i live by the unwritten code between men, especially hot rodders

Images
    Micheal your mission today if you choose to accept it is too get more done than yesterday
    Any advice or help given is actually based on having done the job, not read about doing it or Googling it.

www.langysrodshop.co.uk Our parts are air freighted so 5-7 day delivery, The best GRP Willys body available/Rebel Wirings only UK dealer/Speedway Motors authorised dealer/Summit racing/Jegs/Hotrod parts supplied, MAC Autos, We deal with all the US hotrod suppliers even non car related stuff.
    Brake,Oil & Fuel etc plumbing stockist/Totally Stainless fastener dealer/Dolphin Instrument dealer, LMC & Brothers Trucks,
    Stainless Exhaust tube & mandrel bends stockist

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Lang View Post
    Micheal your mission today if you choose to accept it is too get more done than yesterday
    will do boss, sat here staring at the phone........ willing it to ring !!
    never go down the shed before 12 on a "work" day.

Really enjoying following your build mike , your flying along . Putting the rest of us to shame
    Keep up the good work

I tell you what mate them instructions that come with the Willys are spot on with all the bits there and you just fit / bolt / weld them in place i can see more of these Willy's getting built , do you get a big pot of paint with all the bits ..............Your doing a top job mate and not hanging about im totally amaized at the pace ...
    Quote Originally Posted by mike noble View Post

If a Scaremonger makes say 50 statements about a certain subject and some but not all eventually come true does that mean they have the power to predict ?? or just Scaremonger ??

"Buffet Slayer"

Hi Mike,

Brilliant build thread, had a look at it all again, real good mate, had a good laugh also,

If you let me know your number, I'll call you every morning, so you can then go down the shed earlier

Cheers,
    Mike C.
    Mikes V8 Pop build

IT'S ALL GOOD IN THE HOOD

Cheers for all the comments guys, it really does help !!!
    Right then onto today............
    I got my 5 layers of clothing on, got down the shed and within poxy seconds i heard a strange noise!!!!
    I just couldn't work out where it was coming from,
    Ha, it turned out to be the work phone, wow, blew the cob webs off it and it turned out to be a rare job
    Back in the house, off with the 5 layers , on with my uniform and off to work
    Which was handy cuz the diesel heater was doing its impersonation of the jet car at shakey, meaning it needed diesel.
    Now normally i siphon it out of the idiot next doors car, but he's changed to petrol because of the high fuel consumption of his old car, so i had buy some.
    Got back down the shed,first thing was sort the mess left by the tool fairies, i cant believe where they hid the grinder tool
    I'd managed to box myself in the corner of the garage and it was doing my head in, so i had to move the car over, which is easy enough, BUT it means the whole thing needed levelling again, youve got to keep these things level, or your b5ggered
    once level, i spent loads of time setting up that "holely" rear frame thingy, i'm totally ignoring the body, the metal work MUST be level/square i could then tack on the mounts and remove the frame for final welding.

these bits will be shaped to the body, probably quite soon as ive walked into them about 10 times already

i wasted a fair bit of time messing about with the ali fuel celll from the cannon but i just dont like it, so i may have to buy a new one, this shot shows a mock up of the wheelie bar location , obviously these dont want to be any where near the tank

Gave up on that for a bit and started looking at the top coilover mounts, loads of time spent at this stage will save trouble later.

Thats it for today folks, doesn't look like much, but it's the thinking and design that takes the time, the fabrication is easy
    Last edited by mike noble; 27-11-13 at 01:52 AM. Reason: spelling

Images
    All good progress Mike. I thought you did your thinking time at night
    Layabout.

Images
    Mike just a thought but it might be an idea to put 3 mounts in for the coilovers so you have some adjustability should you need it, I have 3 either side on mine.
    Any advice or help given is actually based on having done the job, not read about doing it or Googling it.

www.langysrodshop.co.uk Our parts are air freighted so 5-7 day delivery, The best GRP Willys body available/Rebel Wirings only UK dealer/Speedway Motors authorised dealer/Summit racing/Jegs/Hotrod parts supplied, MAC Autos, We deal with all the US hotrod suppliers even non car related stuff.
    Brake,Oil & Fuel etc plumbing stockist/Totally Stainless fastener dealer/Dolphin Instrument dealer, LMC & Brothers Trucks,

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Lang View Post
    Mike just a thought but it might be an idea to put 3 mounts in for the coilovers so you have some adjustability should you need it, I have 3 either side on mine.
    Bottem mounts have about 5 inches of adjustment bud, trying to delay that bit, till the axle case arrives, cheers anyway m8

Steve. Mike does it right 1st time no need for adjustments. Ain't that right mike.
    Real steel

Quote Originally Posted by crumble View Post
    Steve. Mike does it right 1st time no need for adjustments. Ain't that right mike.
    ha, i wish, i make BL00DY everything TOO adjustable..... lol

Some good progres since my last visit Mike, looking very well indeed mate.

Cheers. Tim W.
    They say "life's a Crap Shoot" - Sure would be nice to have some Shoot for a change !!

My Pop My Intro

Got a good 5 hours in " so far " today
    Templates all done yesterday so lots of cutting/drilling/grinding today

Flap disc finish is fine for my standard, none of this getting it perfect malarky, lifes too short for all that, if some plonker wants to crawl under this car and run their fingers round it I DONT GIVE A DAMM

What can be more "ol skool" than a bit of rusty bed frame out of a skip ?

I dont like to rely on just tube welded to the box for the crossmember, these mounts do three things, 1 they allow me to bench weld the main tube, 2 they allow for a large weld area when the crossmember is welded in the frame, 3 they allow for the crossmember to be adjustable at this EARLY stage

That's where i'm at.......... going back down in a bit!

First comment on this thread and it's a question! Did you use the wrong size of hole saw on the brackets Mike or is this a temp x-member?...or are you happy welding up what looks like a big gap?

Other than that....very good. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by ross@rmrrestorations View Post
    First comment on this thread and it's a question! Did you use the wrong size of hole saw on the brackets Mike or is this a temp x-member?...or are you happy welding up what looks like a big gap?

Other than that....very good. ;-)
    hole saw had half its teeth missing, so had to use a larger one, gap looks bigger than it is, but penetration should be good, lol. ( cant afford hole saws! lol )

clever stuff mike, cant beat a bit of re-cycling too
    be quiet when you leave.... mr munn lives right around the corner

Really liking the right angled brcketry for the coil spring crossmember Mike
    Last edited by yjohnb; 27-11-13 at 10:53 PM.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by crumble View Post
    Extra mount are for tuning the suspension John, not for getting it wrong

Quote Originally Posted by mike noble View Post
    hole saw had half its teeth missing, so had to use a larger one, gap looks bigger than it is, but penetration should be good, lol. ( cant afford hole saws! lol )
    hi mike you might want to look at getting a plasma cutter as it is well worth getting save on cutting disc and grinding disc also is l lot quicker and very versatile