Thread: '32 Ford trunk lid support

Images

'32 Ford trunk lid support

Has anyone fitted an original style trunk lid support arm to a "glass" '32 Roadster?

If, so, any pictures please, as I'm thinking about putting one onto mine....As the swap meet is coming up.

Cheers

Martin

Who cares If It's glass or steel, It's still a hot rod.

i live by the unwritten code between men, especially hot rodders

Didn't you just know that was coming !

Images
    There's always one, & it's the one from the land of banjo playing & has 2 thumbs....

How is your Sister, I mean Wife, I mean Cousin, I mean....

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    There's always one, & it's the one from the land of banjo playing & has 2 thumbs....

How is your Sister, I mean Wife, I mean Cousin, I mean....
    ha sorry, tis bl00dy lucky we have webbed feet down here at the moment !
    i live by the unwritten code between men, especially hot rodders

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mike noble View Post
    ha sorry, tis bl00dy lucky we have webbed feet down here at the moment !
    I chatted with someone today down in Cornwall, & he said it's very wet down there, & the waves are HUGE, even his Son won't go surfing & he's certifiable....

Images
    Anyone, I just want to know how it fits to the bodywork, not the boot lid.

re trunk lid

hi martin,fitted one to the black 3 window we did,we fitted a bracket that came off steel braceing underneath rain gutter and then up the side off the gutter,we extended ours 2inc to make lid go higher or youll smack your head,phil.

Images
    This any use Mart?. On a stocker they`re normally riveted or spot welded under the rain channel. As Phil said, you`ll need some bracing under the rain channel to mount it too...

"The older i get, the faster i was".
    Out to pasture ...
    My Intro My Rods

Images
    Cheers Phil & Bri....Don't think I'll be able to put one on the lip, as it's glass & a lot thicker than a steel one, so I found a pic of a similar one on a T, & it has a bracket that is just below the drip rail, so I'll probably go that route.

Cheers again

Martin

Got a round one on mine Mart.

Any advice or help given is actually based on having done the job, not read about doing it or Googling it.

www.langysrodshop.co.uk Our parts are air freighted so 5-7 day delivery, The best GRP Willys body available/Rebel Wirings only UK dealer/Speedway Motors authorised dealer/Summit racing/Jegs/Hotrod parts supplied, MAC Autos, We deal with all the US hotrod suppliers even non car related stuff.
    Brake,Oil & Fuel etc plumbing stockist/Totally Stainless fastener dealer/Dolphin Instrument dealer, LMC & Brothers Trucks,
    Stainless Exhaust tube & mandrel bends stockist

Images
    Cheers Steve, but I'm trying to go more traditional with the style of the Roadster.

Looking at the boot lid, what did you use to cover it, was it normal ply or something else to get the curve?

Mart

Images
    ....Don't think I'll be able to put one on the lip, as it's glass & a lot thicker than a steel one....Martin
    That`s why I said this above Mart
    v
    v
    Quote Originally Posted by Brizey View Post
    ....you`ll need some bracing under the rain channel to mount it too....
    If you look at the pic I posted, there`s a piece of vertically mounted box section just under the trunk lid hinge. Something like that (1" sq. would do) mounted further back to mount the trunk support stud to would suffice. Bolt it to the floor at the bottom and maybe bolt it through the inner edge of the rain channel at the top (or glass it to the body just behind the channel)...
    "The older i get, the faster i was".
    Out to pasture ...
    My Intro My Rods

Cheers Steve, but I'm trying to go more traditional with the style of the Roadster.

Looking at the boot lid, what did you use to cover it, was it normal ply or something else to get the curve?

Mart
    3mm bendy ply Mart, you could also use the 3mm plastic that trimmers use for door cards these days or the Black fibre board that they also use, all will work well.
    Any advice or help given is actually based on having done the job, not read about doing it or Googling it.

www.langysrodshop.co.uk Our parts are air freighted so 5-7 day delivery, The best GRP Willys body available/Rebel Wirings only UK dealer/Speedway Motors authorised dealer/Summit racing/Jegs/Hotrod parts supplied, MAC Autos, We deal with all the US hotrod suppliers even non car related stuff.
    Brake,Oil & Fuel etc plumbing stockist/Totally Stainless fastener dealer/Dolphin Instrument dealer, LMC & Brothers Trucks,
    Stainless Exhaust tube & mandrel bends stockist