Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 1405
Size:  192.8 KBName:  image.jpeg
Views: 1410
Size:  291.7 KBName:  image.jpeg
Views: 1489
Size:  270.9 KBName:  image.jpeg
Views: 1444
Size:  227.1 KBBusy again with an uninterrupted afternoon. Cab position finalised after dropping the cage an inch and trimming of the floor and door shuts AND steering column finished and sliding steering shaft all connect up, we have steering !
    The column is mainly Sherpa and the steering shift a mongrel mix of jag ( cheers Steve ) vectra and mini. It's been quite a mission, as any build is, and therefore a little bit of a compromise with the column a bit on the pi$$ to work around the chassis rail, brake pedal and oil pipes. It worried me until I was reminded of how old minis were, you never really notice it when driving.
    Next up is fixing the body in place, mounting doors( anyone have some surplus hinges ? Mine are too far gone ) and the flip front. Oh, and build the engine, fabricate pickup bed and so it goes on, busy busy !
    Norfolk & Chance....Racing for the hell of it!!!

Images
    every bit done is a step closer.keep at it.

Images
Views: 1272
Size:  274.5 KBName:  image.jpeg
Views: 1273
Size:  206.3 KBFitted up the brake pedal and cylinders this weekend, some readjustment of steering column required was required but much happier with steering wheel position now. Quite busy around there now, just got throttle pedal to fit. Mocking up the trans tunnel and firewall in card now, this is 3rd edition now I've finally got my head around it, I'm a kinaesthetic learner apparently, learn through doing, probably why I rarely get it right first time.

good work simon. I just missed out on a nos cab inc doors wings bonnet and inner wings for £1000. but I have just bought a fleetside devon pickup. the fleetside devon is like the pop utes they have a coupe style roof. im collecting it on the 20th so pictures will follow.
    Real steel

Images
    A right ferret John unearthing these treasures. Look forward to pics, I've seen a Somerset ute before but not even a photo of a Devon.

Images
Views: 1140
Size:  197.2 KBAnyone who knows austins should recognise this shape. No joy finding some useable ones so nothing for it !

hinges. if you can hold fire for a week or so I might be able to get you some from my friend. he has serveral parts cars.
    Real steel

Images
    Appreciate it John, goodun's are hard to find, usually all rusted up.

Images
Views: 995
Size:  243.3 KBName:  image.jpeg
Views: 980
Size:  231.4 KBName:  image.jpeg
Views: 1027
Size:  212.2 KB
    Had a productive weekend getting the flip front on and working. Some butchery was inflicted on the chassis to get full movement and adjustment. A bit of fettling still needed and some sort of latch/lock but need to get the doors on first.

Images
Views: 877
Size:  302.0 KBFlip front pins done, can't do the bottom ones until headers are all welded up. Been putting that off as I managed to damage some of the tubes by dropping a cylinder head on them !
    3rd generation firewall in pic is testing me. Card , ply and cut up 2nd gen steel. Determined to get it right with minimal welding so layout and bend mk4 version in the week.

Images
Views: 788
Size:  166.4 KBName:  image.jpeg
Views: 831
Size:  212.4 KBBusy day but quite chuffed to get passenger door hinged ( Thankyou David Lake ) and latched. Nice even(ish) gaps, actually fits better than either door on my steel pickup. Got all the bits made for drivers side, just NEED HINGES, please, anyone ?

Images
Views: 777
Size:  219.3 KBBack on with the firewall, 4th and final edition! I'm happy with the recess, just tacked together and will borrow a spot welder to finish nicely. Ply templates for the rest in 3 pieces to fit around the roll cage, can't decide, mild steel or stainless?
    My welding is not good enough to make those 3 pieces look like one in stainless, I'd have to get a proper welder onto it, is it worth the hassle ?

Images
    looking good.

looking very nice Simon.
    Real steel

looks very nice as usual . me, i'd leave the flat panels seperate and step the lower 2 behind the upper 1. oh, and stainless

Images
Views: 658
Size:  225.4 KBName:  image.jpeg
Views: 599
Size:  345.3 KBIS IT JUST ME ??????
    Got back onto the headers, started 2 years ago, the last job to finish before the body comes off, hopefully for the last time. Tacked the tubes up and bashed the collector into shape. Spent a couple of hours making up some collector rings, template, plasma cut, holesaw and cleanup and welded one on. Went to do the the other side, picked the other collector up, finding at the bottom of the box, 2 sets of collector rings FFS.
    Had a cry, then a cup of tea and back out to finish off both sides. I'll nail those bits of scrap to the wall !
    Last edited by Simon G-S; 28-12-16 at 11:46 PM.

fancy doing that , but no..... you're not the only one. it's just the sort of thing i'd do mate

Images
Views: 622
Size:  209.9 KBName:  image.jpeg
Views: 592
Size:  222.1 KBRain stopped play as far as rolling out to lift the body off, didn't fancy all that bare metal getting wet. So, got the bead roller out of the rafters and dusted off. Won't win any prizes but Ok for a first go, just need a tube of solvol.

Images
    nice job mate well done
    www.randrhotrodimports.co.uk
    IMPORTER OF AMERICAN CARS AND PARTS, SHIPPER OF PARTS, SPEEDWAY MOTORS DEALER/STOCKIST, BROOKVILLE DEALER, O'BRIEN TRUCKERS DEALER, CARS INC TRI CHEVY STOCKIST AND DEALER, . https://www.facebook.com/randrhotrodimports/
    ALL MAJOR CREDIT/DEBIT CARDS TAKEN

Images
Views: 585
Size:  293.2 KBName:  image.jpeg
Views: 512
Size:  232.5 KBName:  image.jpeg
Views: 529
Size:  282.5 KBName:  image.jpeg
Views: 563
Size:  240.0 KBA day that goes to plan is a rare thing. Move the van, move the truck, mates turn up, move engine and assorted junk, roll Austin out, lift off body. Have a drink and put it all back, job done.