Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Austin pickup, the retirement plan

Images

Austin pickup, the retirement plan

Ive been talking about this for several years but work, moving house, health, money, building a garage have now all been sorted and I can begin, well maybe not money!
    I plan on retirement ( sort of ) next year and contrary to all financial planners, Im going racing to tick off a few things on my bucket list !!
    Ive had this Austin pick up as a daily for few years on and off, now has a Vauxhall 8 valve engine and 5 speed, a bit rough around the edges, been around quite a while so its ready for a make over.
    Plan is..at the moment
    Ford 9" on ladder bars and coilovers, straight front axle with Sherpa ends, probably Pontiac 400 if I can replace a damaged block, Muncie if I can find one, blower, flip front, wolfies, I quite like the current colour so green metalflake
    I bought a couple of lengths of 100x50 steel and set to building the chassis. I went for this size so when it hooks up I want to get some wheelies and not break.
    Its sitting on welding table waiting for some plasma speed holes before levelling and clamping it all up to get welded.
    Updates as and when,
    I usually get a couple of hours most evenings but I seem to spend more time thinking and measuring on a build than actually working.
    Lets see how it goes.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Norfolk & Chance....Racing for the hell of it!!!

cool, good start.
    i live by the unwritten code between men, especially hot rodders

Looking forward to this build.
    Real steel

Images
    Loverly start fella look forward to seeing progress.
    www.randrhotrodimports.co.uk
    IMPORTER OF AMERICAN CARS AND PARTS, SHIPPER OF PARTS, SPEEDWAY MOTORS DEALER/STOCKIST, BROOKVILLE DEALER, O'BRIEN TRUCKERS DEALER, CARS INC TRI CHEVY STOCKIST AND DEALER, . https://www.facebook.com/randrhotrodimports/
    ALL MAJOR CREDIT/DEBIT CARDS TAKEN

Images
    Another great build on the way

Very nice, looking forward to the build

Images
    That's a lovely little pick up.watching with interest.

Images
    Thanks for positive comments fellas.
    .Had a sunny drive out into the Fens to find a good Pontiac XN block and crank today, already bored +30. Need some blower pistons and looking for someone to cut another keyway in the crank nose for blower drive hub, not confident or accurate enough with my own machining skills !

Looks a sweet truck that, you've made a good start. Looking forward to following this one.

Cheers. Tim W
    They say "life's a Crap Shoot" - Sure would be nice to have some Shoot for a change !!

My Pop My Intro

Images
    Looks a cool start Simon, any particular reason for the tapered frame ?
    Any advice or help given is actually based on having done the job, not read about doing it or Googling it.

www.langysrodshop.co.uk Our parts are air freighted so 5-7 day delivery, The best GRP Willys body available/Rebel Wirings only UK dealer/Speedway Motors authorised dealer/Summit racing/Jegs/Hotrod parts supplied, MAC Autos, We deal with all the US hotrod suppliers even non car related stuff.
    Brake,Oil & Fuel etc plumbing stockist/Totally Stainless fastener dealer/Dolphin Instrument dealer, LMC & Brothers Trucks,
    Stainless Exhaust tube & mandrel bends stockist

Images
    Steve, the tapered frame is to replicate the devon's main frame rail shape and size. The front 30" is straight to accomodate parallel springs. The deep V of the X member is to allow a bit of engine set back, though with such a small cab the gearbox will take up all the floor ! The frame will end up being a bit longer to give mounting points for weight bar and chute.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon G-S View Post
    Steve, the tapered frame is to replicate the devon's main frame rail shape and size. The front 30" is straight to accomodate parallel springs. The deep V of the X member is to allow a bit of engine set back, though with such a small cab the gearbox will take up all the floor ! The frame will end up being a bit longer to give mounting points for weight bar and chute.
    Sound cool Simon, I only asked because its gonna be a pig to keep it from moving when you weld it up. Good on ya for starting a build thread
    Any advice or help given is actually based on having done the job, not read about doing it or Googling it.

www.langysrodshop.co.uk Our parts are air freighted so 5-7 day delivery, The best GRP Willys body available/Rebel Wirings only UK dealer/Speedway Motors authorised dealer/Summit racing/Jegs/Hotrod parts supplied, MAC Autos, We deal with all the US hotrod suppliers even non car related stuff.
    Brake,Oil & Fuel etc plumbing stockist/Totally Stainless fastener dealer/Dolphin Instrument dealer, LMC & Brothers Trucks,

Images
    I was reminded about welding distortion when I did the rails, used every G clamp I had and still had a twist that was only cured with a 1mm cutting disc and rewelding.
    Ive just bought a plasma cutter so plan is to cut a grid of keyholes in the welding table to take machinist clamps, putting some speed holes in the rails first though!
    Photos when I get the hang of it.

NSRA member
    When doing long welding runs try step back welding it should help reduce the distortion.
    Last edited by Smokey; 15-03-14 at 09:17 PM.

That looks like a very cool project, will be following this one

Images
    Any progress Simon ?

Images
    Not much progress to see since last pics.
    A death and birth within the family in the last week but getting back to normal ish.
    A bit of playing around with my new toy to cut 62 holes in the frame, put a step for the front springs too.
    Going to get them mounted before welding up the chassis rails.
    Any one got a spare Sherpa spring hanger about? I seem to have lost one !
    Name:  SDC11283.jpg
Views: 3260
Size:  73.5 KB
    Name:  SDC11286.jpg
Views: 3327
Size:  67.3 KB

Thats a nice piece of chassis engineering

i like the holes, what is the new toy you used ?
    i live by the unwritten code between men, especially hot rodders

Good to see it taking shape and gradually coming to life!