Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Austin pickup, the retirement plan

Images
    Cracking on after I did gardening duties. Modified my design and made a template 5 mm smaller all around in 9mm MDF which seems to work well with the plasma tip. 3 more to do and them tidy them up and drill. PLasma is not perfect but is immediate plus saves hours over bandsaw and holesaw and £'s over laser cutting which you have to wait at least a week.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Norfolk & Chance....Racing for the hell of it!!!

go on then, i'll ask the dumb question, what's the second large hole for?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mygasser View Post
    go on then, i'll ask the dumb question, what's the second large hole for?

I was just wondering the same thing Neil
    Any advice or help given is actually based on having done the job, not read about doing it or Googling it.

www.langysrodshop.co.uk Our parts are air freighted so 5-7 day delivery, The best GRP Willys body available/Rebel Wirings only UK dealer/Speedway Motors authorised dealer/Summit racing/Jegs/Hotrod parts supplied, MAC Autos, We deal with all the US hotrod suppliers even non car related stuff.
    Brake,Oil & Fuel etc plumbing stockist/Totally Stainless fastener dealer/Dolphin Instrument dealer, LMC & Brothers Trucks,
    Stainless Exhaust tube & mandrel bends stockist

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Lang View Post
    I was just wondering the same thing Neil
    i must be 'the one' daft enough to ask though

looking again i reckon it's 'cos the wheelie bar/ladder bar bracket is all in one so the bottom of the second big hole ties them together
    but i could be wrong?

Images
    Second hole is to use 3" tube to tie each pair of brackets together, I figured it would be easier to align and weld those on the bench, then fit to the axle. Probably over kill but I only want to do this once. Photos when I get to that point.

Images
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 2108
Size:  86.8 KBGetting some regular garage nights in with Sam, he does have his uses fettling the ladder bar brackets, I cut them for 3" axle tubes then found they were 3 1/4" Doh !
    Plasma and shorts will always end in tears.

Images
    in between sorting the axle brackets and remaking one of them, been making up gearbox and engine mounts. had quite a ponder over how far back to mount the engine. Looking at pics on line and my own snaps of Austins went for placing the crank pulley over the axle, might end up getting to the distributor through the dash !!
    couldn't resist mocking up the heads, manifold, blower and carbs. Looked great but reminded me that EVERYTHING needs rebuilding, did I say I was on a budget!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

lookin good
    i live by the unwritten code between men, especially hot rodders

Images
    Had a good look around at Gary's picnic at ladder bar set ups with competion engineering style with double adjusters being used on several cars including The Twister T, quite prone to getting the front wheels up !
    I had tacked the ladder bar brackets to the axle ready to be TIG welded so had a bit of fiddle about to mock up ladder bars, 40 " long . Some bits of cardboard tomorrow to figure out the chassis brackets, adjustable of course.Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1921
Size:  87.7 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 1889
Size:  72.3 KB

Images
    Chassis looking good.liking all the lightening hole,s.

Thats coming together very nicely

Images
    You don't always feel like your making much progress sometimes, after a lot of pondering I cut the ladder bar brackets off, some of the mounting holes were too close to the axle case to fit the rod ends on. New ones cut now after replacing plasma nozzle and electrode, took Machine Mart a week to sort out the right ones. I have got the ladder bars done though, nice and beefy 1 1/4" CDS with 3/4" rod ends. I,m going to put big rubber bush in the chassis end to give a bit of compliance for street use.Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1799
Size:  85.7 KB

Ladder bars and new bracket looking good, nicely done

Images
    Been a while since my last post but have been distracted by fuel injection woes with my pickup and a shift cable playing earth strap on my roadster. Gary did some cracking welding majic on the axle , I finally finished ladder bars and mounts, panhard rod and brackets, drop out trans mount and prop loop, so felt quite pleased with myself this evening mocking it all up. Some finish welding to be done then get started on front axle and steering. Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1641
Size:  85.2 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 1623
Size:  83.6 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 1643
Size:  86.1 KB
    John, I will be in touch soon !

Images
    Good bit of progress Simon, is that axle end panhard mount in single shear ?
    Any advice or help given is actually based on having done the job, not read about doing it or Googling it.

www.langysrodshop.co.uk Our parts are air freighted so 5-7 day delivery, The best GRP Willys body available/Rebel Wirings only UK dealer/Speedway Motors authorised dealer/Summit racing/Jegs/Hotrod parts supplied, MAC Autos, We deal with all the US hotrod suppliers even non car related stuff.
    Brake,Oil & Fuel etc plumbing stockist/Totally Stainless fastener dealer/Dolphin Instrument dealer, LMC & Brothers Trucks,

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Lang View Post
    Good bit of progress Simon, is that axle end panhard mount in single shear ?
    Although I have put ladder bars in double shear, I thought single shear for panhard would be fine. I must admit that axle end looks a bit sketchy though ! Might double it up for good measure.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon G-S View Post
    Although I have put ladder bars in double shear, I thought single shear for panhard would be fine. I must admit that axle end looks a bit sketchy though ! Might double it up for good measure.
    If it was shorter you might of got away with it but it's fairly long, I would prefer to see it doubled with a longer base to give it sideways stability, hope that helps.

Images
    Been quite busy with other stuff over the summer but finally got back on it after norther swap meet. Got some nice long coil overs and Shelby slots, though I really want a pair of 10 x 15 wolfies !
    Looking through my pickup photos I wondered why all the Austins have a car grill ?? I acquired a GRP flip front a few years ago but thought that since I have a pick up, a spare set of grill bars and a big roll of glass mat, I would give it a go and take a mould of the pickup grill and transplant it onto the flip front, what could possibly go wrong !?!?
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1316
Size:  152.9 KB
    Biggest problem was all the grill slots so wedged some ally sheet behind the grill and filled all the gaps in with plasticine.Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1330
Size:  319.1 KB
    plenty of polish an release agent, couple of coats of gel and a few layers of mat, just did the bonnet first as I realised if I tried to do it all in one go I wouldn't be able to get to the back of it. Left it a couple of days and a few minutes with a rubber mallet and some wedges popped it right off, I really thought it would fight me and I would end up breaking something.Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1389
Size:  178.1 KB
    Well chuffed, needs a bit of a tidy up as a couple of voids and chips. Got polish and release agent on the rest tonight so should get that done over weekend.
    Progress at last !!

great bit of laying up, has come out a treat
    Cheers
    John